Notices

Sportback rear speaker replacement help.

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2005, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sportback rear speaker replacement help.

First part is basic steps to get people on thier way.

Since the factory rear speakers suck so badly and the weather is FINALLY nice enough up here in Canada, I decided to get down and look at installing a set of 6.5" Phoenix Golds I have kicking around in the rear. I have heard of people doing this so I know it is possible, just may have to drill some new screwholes.

Removing the speaker grill is easy enough just by using a thin standard screwdriver and prying them out gently. Getting at a few of the screws on the factory speakers was a bit of a pain due to there not being direct perpindicular access to them, but they do come out after a bit of work.

Next is of course removing the actual speaker. If your just gonna put upgraded 5.25" units in then u can just work the factory ones out (I pulled them out of the top right first then workd my way around turnin them as I went), but if you want to put larger ones in as I am going to do, then you will have no choice but to remove the molding around the rear window which covers the speaker mount itself. Of course also of annoyance is the adapter that Mitsu uses and the short speaker wire they leave u to work with. Either buying a set of speaker adapters will be needed, busting the ones off the factory speakers and soldering them onto the speaker wires on the new ones, or carefully cut the adapter off the factory wiring and solder/crimp new speakers onto it using some extra speaker wiring, though this will be hard without removing the moulding for people trying to avoid that step. This is where I am asking for some feedback.

The back and rear-top of the moulding seem to just popout due to being held in with those plastic pushpins, but the bottom and the rest seem to be held on by the lower carpeted area or by some hidden screws as pulling any harder would most likely break the moulding. Has anyone removed these and if so, how?
Old Apr 16, 2005, 06:12 PM

Has nobody here done this? I'll take pics as I hack away at it but some warnings and tips on where the clips and screws are hidden would be nice.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 07:18 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Sorry, dug through the service manual and it had no info on the liftgate trim If you take pics of the liftgate before you start, myself or someone else should be able to get you started. There's probably a handful of screws to remove, then after that, just popping out the clips behind the trim. If it's anything like removing the door trim it should be easy.
Old Apr 19, 2005, 11:02 PM

Thanx. I plan on taking a run at this over the weekend as long as weather plays nice. Got my 93 Asuna Sunfire in my garage so workin outside for now.
Old Jul 19, 2005, 01:25 PM

I did find the screws that were holding the moulding on and found that the lower carpeted moulding and top plastic are clipped together but its fairly easy to unclip them once the screws are out. Problem of course is that the speaker hole is extremely shallow so my Phoenix golds have too large a magnet to fit. I'll take some pics later and post them up so others can see what they are dealing with if they decide to do this.
Old Aug 12, 2005, 05:54 AM

BTW: the RA's speaker clips/connections are the same for a Camry. I went to best buy and purchased a pair for 7 and change (US). Good Luck. Swapped factory with 6 1/2 's.
Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:22 PM

Your other options...

You could simply buy some spacers from your local auto audio installer?? I installed some 6 1/2" speakers under the standard speaker grilles, all I had to do was pre drill some new holes for the spacers, I will take some pics and post if you like???
Old Nov 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mivek
You could simply buy some spacers from your local auto audio installer?? I installed some 6 1/2" speakers under the standard speaker grilles, all I had to do was pre drill some new holes for the spacers, I will take some pics and post if you like???
In a WAGON, or a Sedan?

This thread was for a wagon.... if you ARE talking about a wagon, can you please take a few photos, and list directions of how to go about getting stock rear speakers in and out? If its as easy as PRYING off the speaker covers, i'll give it a shot!