Notices

ajusting the E brake at the caliper

Old Apr 23, 2010, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ajusting the E brake at the caliper

Does anyone know how to adjust the e brake at the rear calipers? My e-brake has to be pulled up almost to the max for it to hold the car on any slope. Can someone help please
Old Apr 23, 2010, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

x2
Old Apr 23, 2010, 03:06 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I would definitely recommend first adjusting the e-brake at the handle. I wouldn't adjust it at the drums unless you've already made it as tight as it'll go on the handle side and it's still not enough to properly engage/disengage the e-brake. To adjust it at the handle, simply remove the center console, then you'll see an adjusting screw at the base of the brake handle.

The drums adjust the same as normal drum brakes (if you've ever worked on drums.) If you haven't, it's pretty straight forward.

Behind the rear discs/drums, there will be an oval shaped rubber plug. That's an access hole to get to the star wheel that allows you to move the pads in or out. You can use a drum brake adjustment tool (screwdriver works, but the drum tool makes it a bit easier) to turn the star wheel.

This video gives the basic idea. The difference is that, since you're adjusting your e-brake and not a regular drum, you want NO contact/drag between the pads and drum lining when the e-brake is disengaged. You have it right when the e-brake handle makes it up about 5-6 clicks before being fully engaged.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN6z0oIZLBk

Last edited by otter; Apr 23, 2010 at 03:08 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2010, 03:48 PM

Thanks alot otter your the best!
Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:52 PM

should you be able to stick some feeler gauges between the rear pads and the disc when brake is off? and is there a way to ensure that the rear pads are not rubbing when your driving? will you be able to hear them rubbing while driving?
Old Apr 25, 2010, 06:33 PM
EvoM Administrator

spin the rear rotor by hand as you adjust it, you should be able to feel it. Remove the rear brake pads if it makes it easier to feel.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 07:32 PM
rdc
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05lanceralliart
should you be able to stick some feeler gauges between the rear pads and the disc when brake is off? and is there a way to ensure that the rear pads are not rubbing when your driving? will you be able to hear them rubbing while driving?
Remember that even though our main brakes are discs, our E-brake is a drum, so there is no way of sticking a feeler gage between the brake shoes and the drum. For the other questions, you will not only feel it but you will also hear it as they start to rub.
Old Apr 27, 2010, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
I would definitely recommend first adjusting the e-brake at the handle. I wouldn't adjust it at the drums unless you've already made it as tight as it'll go on the handle side and it's still not enough to properly engage/disengage the e-brake. To adjust it at the handle, simply remove the center console, then you'll see an adjusting screw at the base of the brake handle.

pics of said screw?? i had a look and didnt seem to find anyway to adjust it at the handle...
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:14 PM

If I remember correctly you will see a little nut like guy which will you need to adjust. It should be a ten mill wrench. Its also on the driver side and its black with a little locking tab so when you adjust it, it will not back off. If your still having problems I will post some pics tomorrow.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 01:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by roblaza
pics of said screw?? i had a look and didnt seem to find anyway to adjust it at the handle...
It's pretty obvious when you pull out the center console. It's the nut/screw at the point where the cable connects to the handle.