Notices

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question starting issues

when i turn the key to start the car , it fails to turn over at random times ...these times have gotten mare frequent .. I can take the key out flip it over and this seams to help the car turn over , it still takes a couple of turns . the battery is new .. any ideas to what could be my problem , ( i think it make be the tumbler its self ), any one had this problem ..
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
im thinking alternator or starter has gone bad
Old Mar 12, 2012, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Could be a number of things. Bad ignition wire, the starter itself, or the actuator on the starter....for starters... Lmao
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
it's probably the starter...if it cranks sometimes, then there's battery power, so i wouldn't blame the alternator or battery.

other things it could be are the ignition switch, the starter relay, or if you drive a manual, the interlock switch on the clutch pedal.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 03:24 PM

Sounds like the starter to me
Old Mar 30, 2012, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
seeing as how ive had this issue 3 times now...id put money on the starter
rt now im waiting for a 3rd starter to come in...dont get one from autopartswarehouse.com
like i said...im waiting for my 3rd one to come in...(original...then 2 warranty exchanged)
they last me 3 months, then same issue...everything else in the starting system checks out good...even got a new battery

i'd say spend the extra $ and get OE...im sure u wont have to change it 3 times like me if u get OE...
good thing warranty exchanges are free...(xept shipping the old one back...that costs $)
and labor was free since i put them in myself..but its annoying i'm doing it this many times...
(if this 3rd one lasts another # months ill just get the OE and tell them to give me my $ back for the one i bought originally...)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Having the same problem seems to be the clutch Interlock switch cause when I Press down harder on the clutch pedal it starts up no problem regardless of key position
Old Jun 21, 2012, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

for my car it doesnt matter how hard you hit the clutch or how many times i pump the clutch hoping it'll do something(starting to do it again now)...and like i said ive replaced the started several times already, and i have no more issues for about 3 months...then it starts over again..first it does it does it once or twice a week for about 2 weeks, then once or twice a day for about a week, then it wont start and if i need to go somewhere i need to push(thank god for stick shifts...)
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:28 PM

This may be a silly one, but I had an occasion once where the positive contact on the battery had some build up on the inside of the contact and the terminal, check that out especially if its been humid out, I cleaned it up and then everything worked no problem again.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:54 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ArcticThunder
This may be a silly one, but I had an occasion once where the positive contact on the battery had some build up on the inside of the contact and the terminal, check that out especially if its been humid out, I cleaned it up and then everything worked no problem again.
Doesn't seem silly corrosion will cause resistance which will lower voltage.. However that would cause slow cranking in my case there is no crank everything works radio lights etc.. There's no clicking or whining so I don't think it would be the starter and battery voltage (on my car is fine) so I don't think it would be the alt. what would cause a no crank situation on a manual trans car is the neutral safety switch.. Do any automatic trans members have this problem?
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

any update on this I just started having this problem and order the switch to and got a new optima battery thinking that was the problem, but was not
Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Did you already change the ignition switch? I think using a old rounded off key is the problem..
Old Jul 18, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

I figured it out!!! So if you don't push the key in all the way it won't start but will still turn! So for everyone having this problem just remember to stick the key in deeper when it turns but won't crank..
Old Jul 19, 2012, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

i dont think after 3 years of owning the car i intermitently started to not push the key all the way in while staring the car....but i guess you never know...

lately when i turn the key and it doesnt start the lights dim a bit(like the starter is getting power) and sometimes you can hear a buzz(like the starter is trying to do sumn, but it just cant)...but nothing happens...good thing is tho...thesee times it does not stay like that like it used to....theese times i can crank the key a few times more and/or remove and recrank and it starts fine after ussually 3 or 4 times...
Old Jul 19, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Trust me I didn't think I wasn't putting the key all the way in... U can fell like a click just try it if it doesn't work for you it's back to the drawing board

Quick Reply: starting issues