Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

Bakuro's White Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2014, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
maybe if i end up actully moving south i can drop by and lend a hand

ps good choice and good luck
Old Dec 11, 2014, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
when you do get down here there is a guy I drive past everyday who owns a messed up RA. Its prolly a timing belt issue for him too. You could probably talk him into selling it if you brought some cash!
Old Dec 12, 2014, 05:22 AM
Evolved Member

YEAH...i won't haver any "excess" cash..gotta figure out where we're living and work situation first for a few months before i worry about a potential 2nd car
much less if it's a messed up RA...the wife already doesn't like me for the time being...
since we sold her car...(because we owed ~$6k on hr car vs ~$10k+ on mine...)

mk5 jettas sell for ~$9500(exactly like ours sold for), right now she's not very happy...she can't drive since i have the car ar wrk, lately she hasn't been working(health issues) and stays home most of the day with the baby unless we swap the car @ lunch(luckily i live ~1.5mi away from work) and she keeps it for the afternoon and then picks me up...

and my car has MY mods, but it's OUR car now...
she's like well since u did "such n such" without discussing w/ me...
now I NEED to do "such n such too now" without discussing too "to even it out as OUR car not just YOUR car"..
(we agreed all further mods will be on a "mutual agreement basis", untill we get a new/used used) car

i'm like nope....FURTHER mods deos NOT include past mods when the car was still exclusively mine.
and of course all she wants is strictly non-functional mods...(aka some crappy body kit to make it look like crap, racing stripes, red calipers - again....etc) and has no regard for maintenance or performance upgrading...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

LOL I dont think most women mod with regard to maintenance or performance. They think the hello kitty seat covers looks awesome! LOL My wife has done about all she cares to try aesthetically to her bug, just shy of painting it black or fixing the crappy interior fabric. She has mentioned on more than one occasion that she would like it to have a bit more choo choo. But whenever I tell her what it will cost to get it tuned she decides its not really worth it. LOL

This guys RA has been sitting for a long time so you probably dont need to be in any rush for it. lol There is another guy with a yellow one in Paris as well, its got a good sounding exhaust on it too. Then eventually you'll have another RA and I'll have a ton of spare parts for us! LOL
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

maybe in the future...quite a way down...
i did talk her into EVENTUALLY getting another RA...however it'll probably at best be the same as i had before(all but stock and "normal" condition)

ps: ...speaking of getting another RA, i had a dream last night....i got another RA....but it was a galant RA...
so i had more interior room, power, cylinders, etc...xept we agreed i would NEVER do anthign to mod it...so i was always bummed about the car...
Old Dec 12, 2014, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
xept we agreed i would NEVER do anthign to mod it
That dream became a nightmare at this point. :P
Old Dec 12, 2014, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

i concurr...
but at least i had a RA....mods or not....lol
Old Dec 13, 2014, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
another point is josh that if you build the car yourself (re build) aleast you know what the car has and what has been done to it instead of buying a car that the owner may tell you one thing and has something different, best be talk to your partner about it too.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 347-dis
another point is josh that if you build the car yourself (re build) aleast you know what the car has and what has been done to it instead of buying a car that the owner may tell you one thing and has something different, best be talk to your partner about it too.
Exactly! Plus I figured for the cost of what I would pay someone to work on the car I could get a lot more bang for my buck doing it myself. She's alright with it. She just wants me to get it running again as soon as possible, she hates that Im borrowing my dad's jeep. I dont mind because when the snow hits I'll have 4 wheel drive instead of 1. lol

On a side note a guy I know owns an evo and is going to let me come test fit my Motegi's over his Brembos some time with week. If they fit I may be on the hunt for parts to do a brembo swap shortly after completing the 5speed/Turbo build.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 07:34 AM
Evolved Member

Tested the MR125 over the Brembo brakes. Its about 20mm too shallow. And it only clears the calipers by a hair if you pull it out those 20mm. Kinda sad. I was really hoping to be able to run those calipers.. :/
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

just do the dsm caliper swap...(unless you already have it)
that should be enough braking power specially with performance pads...
Old Dec 16, 2014, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

I was assured by Smike, Otter, and someone else that the RAs calipers are just as good as the DSM ones with the right set of pads. Id like to get some evo VIII enkeis some day so I'll just wait till I have those before I start looking into it again.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 05:03 AM
Evolved Member

i know otter had the caliper swap way back in the day...
i'm not 100% sure what the reason was fo swapping back tho....(im 90% sure he went back to OE after a while)

IIRC though he bought junkyard calipers then cleaned, rebuilt and painted them...but then one or more ended up having the piston seize and ate up the pads...

i could be wrong tho...

plus...that's "with the right set of pads" on oe calipers...
what about the dsm calipers with "the right set of pads"?
(assuming they mean that better pads are just as good as the dsm oe's)
i'm sure they know what they're talking about more than me...so i wont dispute anything
but i'd think the extra ammount of surface area(not to mention the more even pressure from 2 pistons vs 1) in the caliper piston, would account for some better braking somehow

Last edited by nekkidlad; Dec 17, 2014 at 05:10 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:31 AM
Evolved Member

Yea I talked to smike about it apparently they found a new pad at the time that provided more bite than the pad they had on the DSM ones around the time they seized up. So they just switched back. I might have to look into that again surely there is a performance pad for the DSM calipers that would provide better grip... IDK.

Anywho. We are getting closer to time to pull the engine from the green car!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
definitely better pads for DSM...the AWD turbo's had bigger calipers for a reason, and not everybody in the DSM world has big brakes.

Quick Reply: Bakuro's White Ralliart