Notices
04-06 Lancer Ralliart Show & Shine Post your pictures, photoshops, and videos!

"Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2014, 08:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay, so i have been sort of inactive for the past month or so but i have made some progress with my RA re: going wingless...and the final verdict is...................*drum roll* i have been wingless for a while now lmfao! it's awesome! i love how she looks haha! pictures are to come soon! i promise! just gotta get them out of my phone! cheers!
Old Jun 9, 2014, 09:06 PM
Evolved Member

omg...i just went through some "mindblastingness" i just figured out how to change the title of my thread LOL! i am such a noob when it comes to forums *sigh* ive been trying to change it for the past few months and now i finally changed the name. i feel so accomplished! *pats self on back* good job to me! cheers everyone!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Quick update.

My driver-side floor/carpet has always been wet/soaked since I got my car. I've been drying it manually using towels, newspapers, shopvacs, etc. Yesterday, I decided to get down to business...

I took off the panels that were covering the edges of the carpet and I cut out the soaked/damaged portion of it. You would be surprised by what I found under there...

I then proceeded to remove the rust on the floor itself using a scraper, a screwdriver and a sanding block. Tramp's driver-side floor was a mess! Everything was covered in muk, rust, disgusting fluids and some good old water.

Luckily, the damage was not enough to put a hole through the floor, which was an amazing relief to me. I took carnage pictures of the mess and now, my floor looks nothing like how it did when I first ripped out the carpet.

After sanding and getting all the rust out, I painted the whole floor with rust-inhibiting primer. It looks like it's brand new...

My next step is to put a layer of clear coat over the primer just to protect it a bit more and to make sure it doesn't get scratched or peeled off accidentally.

I will post pictures of my WINGLESS RA and the carnage and after-carnage photos of my driver-side floor.

Cheers!
Old Jul 29, 2014, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

LOL just kidding. Did you find what the source of the water was? My brother's AC somehow caused his car to get wet all the time. Also I knew another guy who had a drain plug missing from the bottom of his car.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakuro117
My brother's AC somehow caused his car to get wet all the time.
check the a/c condenser drain...(somewhere behind the dashboard)
sometimes they get moldy/dirty and plugged so water doesn't drain outside the car as designed, but inside on the floor....
ussually on the pass side...
Old Jul 30, 2014, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

arite guys, here are the carnage photos. i finished putting on 5 coats of primer and 5 coats of clear coat and it looks so much better than what i'm about to show you...

check it out...

@bakuro + @nekkidlad:

i've been doing research for a while now and that's what the conclusion is on almost every thread / article / post that i've found. there's also the other culprit which they say could be the sunroof drain being clogged up and lastly, loose grommets / rubber seals on the firewall.

i'm getting frustrated cos i really can't tell where the water / fluid is coming from. i checked again this morning and i found some water on the floor beside the foot rest / under the clutch pedal.

i will continue to monitor this problem but it would be very weird if it's the a/c cos my a/c doesn't even work lmfao. and it's water. i'm sure it's water lol.

thanks for all your help! and sorry for being inactive for a while. been so busy with work and school and all.

take care my evom brothers!
Attached Thumbnails "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140728_010.jpg   "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140728_009.jpg   "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140728_011.jpg   "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140728_013.jpg   "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140728_012.jpg  

Old Jul 31, 2014, 05:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah, thats one of two things:

1. a windshield seal leak. I had the exact same water damage as you in my old Jetta. Drove me nuts, it wasn't obvious where the leak was. With the car gutted like you have, and dried, sit in it and have someone hose it down from outside. With a flashlight look under the dash to see where a stream of water is coming in. Else, take it to a windshield shop, tell'em whats going on, they'll check for leaks and reseal it for you. Then you can buy new felt to put under the carpet, throw out all the mouldy crap.

2. a body panel leak - there is a sealed joint between two exterior body panels that is leaking. Over time, flex, vibration, and salt fog can wreck joints. I had this on a Subaru. I stripped out some of the interior and sat in the car while a buddy shot water at the car from a hose. I saw where it was leaking and used Stop-Leak from a spray can I got at crappy tire to fill the cracked joint. Worked perfect.

Last edited by RalliartN; Jul 31, 2014 at 05:07 AM.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:34 PM
Evolved Member

@Nick:
I will definitely be looking into these two options. I already deduced that the leak is not coming from the A/C condenser as it is leaking from the left side of the dash. It drops from somewhere there so it can be either a windshield leak or a body panel leak as you said.

I will be bringing my RA to Speedy Glass or some kind of windshield shop to get him looked at. What I know for sure is that there's only a leak when it rains so I still have to look into the sunroof drainage.

Thanks again for all the input! I really appreciate it! Cheers!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 04:37 PM
Evolved Member

Cool

Just a quick recent photo update of what Tramp looks like...WINGLESS!
Attached Thumbnails "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140608_004.jpg   "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart-wp_20140601_006.jpg  
Old Aug 7, 2014, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I actually like the wingless RA profile, its classy, congrats.

The evo style wing is staying on mine for awhile, the cartoon look still makes me smile.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Thank you! I love how my RA looks without the wing. It's just pure awesomeness lol.

Now, my next steps, aesthetically-speaking, is to tackle and eliminate most of the rust around my RA. After that, I will troubleshoot my suspension and see what needs to be fixed and/or replaced. But for sure my very first mod will be your "Big Intake Pipe" idea!

I can't wait until Tramp is as good as new. That day will come some day...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
personally i dont liek the wingless look, but hey it's your car
if you like it good for you...
Old Aug 7, 2014, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
personally i dont liek the wingless look, but hey it's your car
if you like it good for you...
yeah, i've come across a number of people that want me to put my wing back on (including my own girlfriend! whyyy!!! why must she betray me so...)

but you know, i like how my RA looks without it. i think the only time i will ever put a wing on would be if i had the evo wing. that would be pretty cool!

btw...it's my birthday today!!!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by rzrxn

btw...it's my birthday today!!!

I got the notification on Skype, lol happy birthday dude!
Old Aug 7, 2014, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Happy BDay!! My GF didn't like when I took the wing off my RA either. I really liked it. And kinda still do when looking back on those pics. Evo wing is alright. Its a big attention magnet tho.

Quick Reply: "Tramp" - Rzrxn's 2004 Lancer Ralliart