Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

The Ralliart Fuel Injector upgrade thread.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyanide
Did you try this circuit manipulation for any of the piggybacks you tried on the RA? Locally, I spoke with some RA owners from another town and they say that they have this modification using the SAFC with no issues. I don't like the SAFCII because of its limitations, so that's why I'm looking into other options, but the fact is that they have it working, so I don't see why other piggyback models shouldn't.
Yes, something similar. Also tried a few different things from translation to full signal synthesis. Some were successful but too involved and too expensive to implement. It's not always that hard to trick a stock ECU but when you throw in the weird MAF stuff and the DBW it's very very limiting.

Also, Haltech has the RA 4G69 as one of the compatible models for their interceptor, but I'm not well informed on this unit. You were working on a Haltech Miniceptor... Did it ever work?
I spoke at length with the haltech people telling them exactly what we needed in order to get proper O2 modification to work but it fell on deaf ears. Maybe they finally did implement the changes. If so it could work for an NA setup.

LTFT and STFT will change, as you say, because of the conditions we need for open loop and the fact that nobody's at WOT full time. The ECU will still try learning and managing fuel trims based on your driving. Your reflash feature of open loop on full time sounds good, but I don't see the use if you're not able to tune. If I read correctly, all the reflash does, apart from some of your custom features, is maximize set points on sensors so that the ECU allows for some of the mods like intake, header, exhaust, etc., without trimming fuel, but what about AFR's? Will a reflash keep AFRs where you want them, or will they just run where they do normally, without causing fuel trims for the aftermarket mods?
The reflash adjusts the open/loop, closed loop settings. It also changes the rev limiter - something not possible at all with any piggback. It also changes the open loop fuel table so the AFR's are correct. Most recently it's able to alter the mivec engagement point. It also adjusts the timing maps for better performance. It removes the speed limiter present on some vehicles. For turbo vehicles it also scales the injector size and latency table so you can actually get your car to start and run with big injectors.

I should be finishing up the turbo tune this month and posting dyno results. I'm trying to find someone locally with the RRM kit so I can swap in big injectors and develop a tune for it.

-Michael
Old Oct 3, 2009, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hackish
The reflash adjusts the open/loop, closed loop settings. It also changes the rev limiter - something not possible at all with any piggback. It also changes the open loop fuel table so the AFR's are correct. Most recently it's able to alter the mivec engagement point. It also adjusts the timing maps for better performance. It removes the speed limiter present on some vehicles.

-Michael
Rev limiter... Peak hp is achieved close to 6k rpms on NA RAs, so it will only make longer gears for me.

Alter MIVEC... How? Open earlier? That sounds good...

Timing maps... What is it based on? NA or Turbo? I'm NA, not planning on turbo anytime soon. Advance?

Speed limiter... What's the speed this ECU limits at? I've done 125mph, and it wanted more, but I couldn't get myself to take it that far. Remember, I'm NA.

Correct AFR's... How? From the wideband readings at the dyno, I could see similar AFR curves (in form), but one leaner than the other(comparing both ecus I mentioned earlier).

What would be the AFR range and will it be straightened out or similar to this with different values?

Loop settings... What will it be, open or closed? What will this do if I'm not tunning? I know that the open loop condition will let go of the O2 sensors and let the ECU do the fuel trimming, but how will the ECU handle this?

Let's say I go with the reflash, but I want my AFRs at 13.2 all across the 3K to 6.5K rpm range. Are you able to create this tunning or will the ECU decide what's best, even though it's reflashed?

I have 2 ECUs laying around, apart from the one I'm running my car with. The one I fried (or at least thought I did) only needs to have a wire grounded for it work and run properly. This is the factory one which is an '05 (red line AFR on the graph). The other one is the '04 (blue line AFR on the graph) which is the one I thought to be Cali specs, but I was wrong. Dealer explained that there are different maps for each year according to what was found during testing.

So, I'm still thinking which way to go... The reflash is your product, so I understand why, after all your R&D, this would be the best option. Have you done this to NA RA's? Any Dyno info?
Attached Thumbnails The Ralliart Fuel Injector upgrade thread.-afr.jpg  
Old Dec 10, 2009, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
So it say's the rx-7 are not direct plug in play what elso would you need to do? Splice in the harness?
Old Dec 10, 2009, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
no idea, but this is for the ralliart 2.4 liter 4g69 motor. Not the base model 2.0 liter motor.
Old Feb 25, 2011, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

this is grrrreeeeaaat....
Old Feb 3, 2014, 05:45 PM

Questions Questions Questions

Okay, I have a few questions on new fits for fuel injectors. Would 2012 STI fuel injectors be compatible with my fuel rail and engine? If not the fuel rail, where could I get a fuel rail to compensate for the injectors, but still fit comfortably in my engine compartment?
Old Feb 4, 2014, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
they're high impedance top feed, so they should work with the ECU. As far as the rail goes, it looks like a standard top feed size, so I wouldn't forsee any issues there...the connector looks the same, so they may even be plug and play, but none of this is confirmed, so you'll have to let us know...off course you'll need custom fuel rail spacers to seat them correctly.

what are you planning to run for boost? and how are you tuning?
Old Feb 5, 2014, 06:17 AM

Um, for boost, probably only around 12 to 14 pounds. Tuning? I don't have any friends that can tune, so I'll probably bring it to the closest Evo/STI shop to have them tune it.
Old Feb 5, 2014, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
they may not be able to tune your ECU...I highly doubt they have the required definitions and patches...hackish is the only person I know of that can actually prove their software works...there are a few others that say they can do it, but I've yet to see any tangible evidence of that.

It's not as simple as reflashing with an Evo ROM, like on the 4G94 ECU's...you can try them out, but the chances of them being successful are slim. Have you actually spoken to any shops about it? 12-14psi, you're going to need a very reliable and fail safe firmware patch, and software to go with it...a piggyback would be very unwise with that kind of boost...6psi has killed these motors with piggyback tuning...
Old Feb 5, 2014, 02:10 PM

Well, what I plan on doing is exactly what I've read. New pistons, new cam, new fuel injectors to handle the larger boost, new control arms. All the basic's to strengthen to engine to handle at least 400 hp. That way I'm not over stressing the engine. As for getting it tuned, they won't just throw an Evo tune on there. It isn't an evo. I will make sure that I get a custom tune. If that isn't applicable, where is Hackish's thread so I can place an order. lol