Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

DIY Log manifold

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
been talking with cherry turbo near toronto, to see if they can rebuild a 14b, if i get one, they are a dime a dozen at about 100$...if the rebuild is 300$ then i have a MHI turbo for 400$ if not i'll just get an Evo III 16g...
Old Mar 27, 2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebuilding the 14b is only half of the battle, its quicker spooling, 6cm^2 exhaust housing is likely to be cracked (16g's use larger, 7cm^2 exhaust housings).

So if you ever want to speed-up 16g's responce, you can always try 14b turbine housing (assuming that you can find a nice one).
Old Mar 27, 2011, 08:12 PM
Evolved Member

should i be concerned with efficiency is i'm pushing less than 10psi?
Old Aug 13, 2011, 04:43 PM
Evolved Member

As promised, here is the progress i made this morning with the custom 4G69 turbo manifold," Log" style, in other words, the easiest and cheapest to fabricate:

You've all seen the pieces i had, a 4G69 exhaust flange, 2 butt-weld tees, and 2 mandrel bent 90 degree elbows, all around 3/16" thick, the flange is 3/8".

Cutting: made easy, originally i was going to do it mby hand with a angle grinder and a zip cutter.

Had to take quite a bit off.

All fitted, ready for media (sand) blasting, yay!

All chamferred and and sand blasted, prepping is done!

Time for welding, what we did first was tacked it to the flange and welded the top, or front of the log, then cut it off the flange to weld the "belly"...once the LOG was done, we welded it to the flange, very tight spaces...

ALL DONE!

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 13, 2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 06:18 PM

Sorry, I didn't see your reply before.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
should i be concerned with efficiency is i'm pushing less than 10psi?
No, I wouldn't worry about it, 14b was originally meant to push 9-10.5 psi on 1Gs. We have pushed them over 25 psi, but they are not happy there .

Manifold is looking great!
Old Aug 13, 2011, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Going to test fit it tomorrow to see what angle, and distance from the log the turbo flange needs to be for best fitment. Then i'll be having the flange water cut this week, then when it's fitted, i can tackle the downpipe.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good job of welding looking good. As I said when I saw the pieces for the first time glad to see you are using the right material do deal with the heat and power.

As far as the angle goes remember to give yourself a bit more room for turbo upgrdes dow the road, that manifold will last a long time.

Last edited by OttRalliart05; Aug 13, 2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by OttRalliart05
good job of welding looking good. As I said when I saw the pieces for the first time glad to see you are using the right material do deal with the heat and power.

As far as the angle goes remember to give yourself a bit more room for turbo upgrdes dow the road, that manifold will last a long time.
Yes, the manifold is quite solid, lol. I'm thinkin l'll have it coated so it doesn't turn brown on me, i would like it to be black, or dark coloured. I'm shooting for half way between the starter and rad fans, and then a bigger turbo will hopefully fit.

I just helped with cutting cause i knew what i wanted, and i did the media blasting. My mom's boyfriend is the welder, he's qualified on many metals, i.e. cobalt, titanium. etc. I wish i could weld like that. I can mig, but it don't look that good.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 04:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Awesome, thanks for sharing.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 10:45 PM
Evolved Member

No problem, Nick...Just doing my best to contribute, and pass on the information i gather. This is the most cost effective solution i could come up with for a turbo manifold, mind you if you had to pay someone to weld it, it would not be so cost effective. But it's an option at least.

When you coming down to play with my suspension? You still got "teens" on the mind? LOL! that'll never get old, thanks Rob.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Stupid fawking iPhone and it's auto correct spelling feature, it's going to haunt me forever...
Old Sep 19, 2011, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

Early monday morning update, since the wife woke me up, and i'm on evening shift this week, lol...

Ok, so here's how the manifold is coming along...it sucks cause i can only get into the shop like once, maybe twice a month, but it's good cause it's not costing me anything. This weekend, we used some rough measurements to mount the flange on the turbo, fitment details will be posted in my build thread. This thread is all about the manifold.

First thing we did was cope a piece of pipe...

Next, we cut the flange, because of space restriction, so that i can start the 2 bolts in the side closest to the engine and just slide it in place, as there is no room to drop bolts down through, or get nuts on the end of a stud.

Here's the pipe, compound cut at 41 degrees, and 8 degrees

We cut the hole.

and then we just tacked the pipe and flange on for fitting, and once we have it perfect then it'll get welded up.

Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Went in for final welding on the manifold this morning...went pretty smooth, made a few adjustments, i'll explain each picture briefly.

BEHOLD!

We cut some bolt head relief into the pipe, the pipe wall is quite thick, so unnecessary material was removed to allow more space for the turbo bolts.

Flange welded...

Little bit of porting, just to remove excess material in the exhaust port.

*DRUM ROLL*

After some sand blasting, and a light coat of oil...

TAH-DAH!!

Thanks for watching, if you have any questions, send me a PM.

Total cost 105$ in material.

Welding and fabricating, done by myself and a friend.

Hope this helps anyone trying to go forced induction on a budget.

cheers!

-Garrett
Old Oct 8, 2011, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that looks damn good you got some welding skills i think I'm gonna make me one of those as well.
is that the rrm flange?
Old Oct 8, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

yeah sort of, it's actually listed on RRE for like $40 less...see first post, lol

and i'm not the welder, he's a good friend of mine, and i'll let him know all the compliments he's been getting.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Oct 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM.

Quick Reply: DIY Log manifold