Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 01:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I just realized I'm using "pipe" as opposed to tubing for the 180° bend. Although relatively heavy, it's only two pieces and since their melting point range is from 2550 to 2650F and exhaust temps at the turbine approach 950C (1742F), I should be good to go...I hope this doesn't bite me in the long run!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 8, 2016 at 12:01 AM.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I just realized I'm using "pipe" as opposed to tubing for the 180° bend. Although relatively heavy, it's only two pieces and their max operating temps are from 900 - 1900F. I hope this doesn't bite me in the long run!
This just in from hackish:

"nothing wrong with it. I've made a few sched 10 downpipes when I couldn't get a tight enough radius mandrel bend."
Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Off to Tig Weld this afternoon:

Old Jul 12, 2016, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Old Jul 13, 2016, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

Back from tig weld...

...wrapped and installed:

Old Jul 14, 2016, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Very nice Gary!! Let us know how it feels now. That thing should provide some awesome flow.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Looks great Gary...those AFR's should look better now
Old Jul 14, 2016, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
Looks great Gary...those AFR's should look better now
Yup, AFR's are good to go. DP Is a bit high and vibrates against the oil pan above when in gear and idling, but its intermittent and going to let it settle before addressing it. Take it out of gear, and its fine.

The sound volume has increased, lol! That, or I just haven't been in it in a while. I need to tune it still, hanging up at high RPMs, 6000+. Because of that, I decided to check the freedom of my actuator arm
and made some adjustments...ooops....i saw 15 psi flash on my boost gauge...something is hanging up (it wasnt hanging up prior to me messing with it). Thank God for boost cut! My car sounded like a dragster out on the strip and scared my 11 year old, "POP, BAP BAP BAP BAP BAP, "DAD, STOP!" After feeling the initial pull he also said, "Take it easy Dad, for I'm not use to it anymore!"

I decided to go home and put it in the garage UFN, and take my in-laws Honda Pilot with AC...this heat needs to stop!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 29, 2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Oh, on initial start up, my AFRs were still lean and I could smell exhaust fill up the garage. Found a strong stream of air pouring from between the rear flanges and Vibrant gasket...wth? Didnt look misaligned, and cleaned both surfaces prior. So, bought another gasket, slapped it in there with the other and, voila!

Btw, the DP ended up being about 1.5" short of being "perfect" but it was easily drawn together with the stainless hardware I used. This could be contributing to the DP hitting the oil pan.

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 14, 2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

One more thing...this DP runs RIGHT next (parallel) to my LICP...its going to cook!
Old Jul 14, 2016, 08:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
One more thing...this DP runs RIGHT next (parallel) to my LICP...its going to cook!

Wrap them both
The following users liked this post:
truthdweller (Jul 14, 2016)
Old Jul 14, 2016, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

In reassembling everything yesterday, I had extra vacuum tubing coming from the MBC to the WG actuator diaphragm, so I cut and shortened it. This forced me to reroute it so I did, being careful to avoid hotspots. Well, tonight, while trying to dial in this boost dilemma, I found the same tubing hanging below the engine with what looked like melted cheese coming inside of it...wth?!!! Turned out to be a white plastic connector I used to splice two pieces. Guess I didn't avoid a hot spot! Put the car back in the garage and took a shower...pfft!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:44 PM
Evolved Member

Btw, the DP ended up being about 1.5" short of being "perfect" but it was easily drawn together with the stainless hardware I used. This could be contributing to the DP hitting the oil pan.
Ok, maybe not the oil pan, but I see now that the "S" pipe is hitting the subframe. That's perfect though for I've been waiting for the motivation to replace that piece with SS, and here it is. It was fabbed with cheap muffler pipe from a local shop back in 2013, when I finished this thing, and the bends narrowed the 2.5" OD and needs to be opened up.

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 18, 2016 at 08:50 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 08:50 PM
Evolved Member

Had a weird event surface the other day...

Upon arriving over at my bro-in-laws house, the car started sputtering and losing power, AFR's fit super rich, 10.0 and below...almost stalled as I pulled alongside the curb. I shut it down and it ran fine after restarting. So, I took it for a drive to replicate the condition when it started with the same symptoms. It eventually threw a P0335 code, crankshaft position sensor (this was a first) and I barely made it home.

I went round and round with it at first, chasing boost leaks, etc., before it threw a code, but after it did, unplugging the external sensor connector, and resetting the ECU (unplugging the battery cable), it's been running fine since. Hope it doesn't surface the next time I'm on the track (July 28, in Connecticut)!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 18, 2016 at 08:58 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Gentlemen, this was WELL worth the five hour drive:

Unfortunately, the last intermediate session didn't record, and was the fastest, most aggressive (20) minutes I've ever pushed this car. I had an absolute blast! I had guys coming up and asking, "Okay, how'd you get this thing imported?" or, "What is this thing?"

Also, with the increased temps we've been having, I was maxing out the temperature gauge!

Quick Reply: 2004 Lancer Sportback Ralliart AT Build