Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Racer Xs Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2013, 11:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Racer Xs Turbo Build

Hey everybody so I'm getting pretty close to being turbo thought I'd make a thread to motivate other members.. I am going to be using a knock off 16g turbo I am going to weld the flap closed and run a external wastegate with a 8 psi spring I am hoping to hit 230whp. I want to relocate the battery to the trunk just what I want to do but you don't have to relocate it.

So what I have spent would prolly be the first question so I'll try and add it up..
500 for turbo, intercooler with piping, fuel pump, wrx 440 injectors, 3bar map sensor, tactrix 2.0 cable, 02 housing, Hks blow off valve, little oil/water fittings here and there.*
650 for turbo reflash
160 for 600cc subaru injectors

Parts supporting the turbo build
700 LSD wave trac*
300 act clutch *

Parts given to me
Autometer oil gauge
Aem wideband gauge
Some off brand boost gauge
A pillar three gauge pod

Parts I still need
38mm wastegate 70 bucks eBay brand
I am going to give The acr flywheel(300) by action clutch a try cross my fingers

Parts I want
Battery Relocate kit 130
Injectors cleaned and flow tested 80 bucks
Arp head studs 120

Update**
Going to be runnin the internal wastegate on the turbo, so I no longer need to buy a external wastegate, No longer going to do the acr flywheel going to use the stock flywheel, i am now going to be using 600cc subaru injectors.

Last edited by RacerX-Ralliart; Nov 23, 2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:22 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was wondering when you were going to start a build thread as I've seen you sniping the marketplace pretty well. So by now you should know what my next statement will be ,''Post up some pics ''.
You can make your own battery relocation kit for much less than 130. Just look at the pictures of the kit the markup is horrendous.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah I was contemplating on wether to make one or not. I havn't really checked the mark up I just want to make sure I get a sealed box for the battery. I plan to be done by the nd of July hopefully.. What kind of pictures? I havn't really started much I'm prolly going to start by installing my oil fittings for the turbo and for the gauge. Next will be the intercooler piping. I'll add pics when I start
Old Mar 25, 2013, 06:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Right on! I'll be following this one now too.

Get some pics up of the equipment youve been collecting. I'd like to see the manifold and downpipe personally.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Subscribed!
Old Mar 25, 2013, 01:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will offer opinion here:

- You could have survived without the 3 inch catback. Hopefully it has multiple resonators as it will drone like a ****. Factoring in the stiffer mounts you're going to need get ready for vibration city.

- Do not get the ebay EWG. Just don't. Pre-mature failure and difficulty maintaining proper boost are possible side effects.

- Don't use a knock off 16g. Proper Quality control is paramount in turbo manufacturing. Doubtful that Taiwanese factories employ such protocols. I have a stock evo 8 16g i can sell you for cheap.

- If you do use the lightweight flywheel (I'm guessing that's what ACR is), you may experience some idle issues on occasion. I have yet to play with the Hack editor, but here's to hoping it has an idle stepper table.

Does your HKS BOV recirculate or does it atmospherically vent?

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Mar 25, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

@bakuro: I am still waiting for the manifold to be welded up and shipped I do have pictures of the mock up that I posted in another thread if you want me to post those. I'll try and get everything bunched up at home and take a pic of everything

@ralliartize: The exhaust is going to have a high flow cat and I think one resonator with a magnaflow muffler.. I didn't think of any vibration problems? I was going to use a emusa wastegate Here's the link http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false
Also yes the flywheel is lighter It says 50% lighter than stock the only problem I thought I would have is balance with the udp but I would take it off and put my oem one on instead.
When I bought the Bov the guy said it was for recirculating but it can be changed to atmosphere
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
@bakuro: I am still waiting for the manifold to be welded up and shipped I do have pictures of the mock up that I posted in another thread if you want me to post those. I'll try and get everything bunched up at home and take a pic of everything

@ralliartize: The exhaust is going to have a high flow cat and I think one resonator with a magnaflow muffler.. I didn't think of any vibration problems? I was going to use a emusa wastegate Here's the link http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false
Also yes the flywheel is lighter It says 50% lighter than stock the only problem I thought I would have is balance with the udp but I would take it off and put my oem one on instead.
When I bought the Bov the guy said it was for recirculating but it can be changed to atmosphere
It's more so vibrations from noise. The bigger piping you go, the more suppression you need.

Search in the evo private for sale section for a quality EWG at a reduced price. Tial and Synapse Engineering make quality products.

My personal belief is that if your car is going to be your DD is to keep the OEM flywheel. Driveability is better versus the 50% weight reduction of most aftermarket FWs.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
hackish's turbo flash has boost cut, it's a fail safe if the wastegate fails, and boost climbs beyond the pre-determined level, the ECU will cut fuel before it's unable to maintain a safe AFR...so a cheesy wastegate isn't the end of the world, but you'd be wise to save up for a nice one asap, if that's all you can afford at the moment.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah our stock flywheel cost a little bit more from mitsubishiparts I guess I havn't done much research on what a after market flywheel feels like I was under the impression it would drive the same but rev faster.. Also I talked to chase last night and we agreed not to do the external wastegate. So I will have to use the internal wastegate on the turbo.. The main reason I wanted to go external was because I was told internal wastegate have a tendency to creep
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RacerX-Ralliart
Yeah our stock flywheel cost a little bit more from mitsubishiparts I guess I havn't done much research on what a after market flywheel feels like I was under the impression it would drive the same but rev faster.. Also I talked to chase last night and we agreed not to do the external wastegate. So I will have to use the internal wastegate on the turbo.. The main reason I wanted to go external was because I was told internal wastegate have a tendency to creep
OEM IWGs rarely if ever creep. What can cause creep is poorly built o2 housings.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
lol, how much boost you planning on running that you're worried about boost creep? unless you plan on running a decent amount of boost through the motor, you probably won't be moving enough air to exceed the maximum flow of the wastegate. Like Ralliartize It says, if you have good exhaust flow it should be ok.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

I was only planning on running 8 psi but I think the internal wastegate is at 10 psi
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

I know the Evo IWG runs at about 11psi.

If you do buy a Taiwanese turbo, make sure you do some additional porting to it to reduce the possibility of any boost creep.

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Mar 28, 2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old Apr 3, 2013, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry it took so long but here are some pictures

There's a lot more stuff everything is just in boxes and I don't want to get yelled at for taking everything out

Quick Reply: Racer Xs Turbo Build