Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Bakuro's Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2014, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
not a fan...i'll take a broken bearing/fork over a contaminated clutch disc...my ES had that type of setup, same as the 4g eclipse GT, but more OEM...but i had the bearing fail and it ruined the clutch...they would have to promise me it would NEVER leak...
Old Dec 18, 2014, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I havent seen any such incidence with the quartermaster unit. I'll keep looking into it. Might be an interesting option to have some day.

On another note. I pulled the passenger side axle last night. Removed the bolts from the strut this time instead of dropping the control arm. Undid the carrier from the block and it pulled right out of the tranny, didnt even need to try popping it loose. Wiggled it free and it fell right out the bottom.

If Im feeling up to it after workin my 12-13 hours shift tonight Im going to put the suspension back together. Undo the rear motor mount. Put the wheels back on. Get it back on the ground. Move some stuff around so I will be able to get the car outside when the engine is pulled. And hang up the come along. Hopefully my little brother will be able to come over and help out once everything is prepared for the pull.

Getting pretty excited!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:29 PM
Evolved Member

yeah there's no retaining clip on that axle because of the carrier.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is interesting read lots of useful information here. I might just have to do this myself :-)
Old Dec 31, 2014, 06:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Very very nice build!!!
Old Jan 2, 2015, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

LOL thanks Johnny. Hopefully it turns out well. Im ready to be back in the car... HAHA

Figured Id add on a bit here. Ordered the LSD conversion from Cranswick this week. Also on the hunt for an Evo CMC and downpipe. Im just starting to get over the flu so I'll be hoping back into the garage and hopefully finally freeing the engine from the car.

Last edited by bakuro117; Jan 2, 2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

I was looking around at some stuff today. I remember talking to Cranswick about the clutch slave cylinder being really tight against the intake pipe for the turbo. On the evo the slave is on the right of the clutch fork not the left. Found this interesting. Wonder if there is any way we could relocate ours or if swapping to the evo slave would be possible... I'll look into it more tonight. Just wanted to post it here since it seemed somewhat relevant.

here are some pics for reference.

Evo clutch slave on right of fork boot

Ralliart clutch slave on left of fork boot

PS - I just noticed that the evo's starter is also on the bottom of the engine. Never knew that. For some reason I thought it was on the back side.

Last edited by bakuro117; Jan 5, 2015 at 11:22 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2015, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

you would need a spot to mount the slave, and also you would need an Evo pressure plate with pull-type release bearing, as well as the fork, and fulcrum, which is probably setup a little different as well...having the slave and starter out of the way like that is the reason an Evo can fit much larger than stock turbos on OEM manifolds...
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Well there are definitely holes where the bracket to mount the evo slave would go. I didnt know about all that other stuff you listed there Crans. Sounds like a lotta trouble. LOL

Also in good news. Nekkidlad has been down here in Kentucky. Stayed at my place for a couple of nights. So last night we had a few beers and decided to go tinker on the car. Wouldnt you know, we pulled the engine!

Gotta unstick the rear wheels. Then get the green car out of the garage. Then I'll split off the trans, get the engine up on the stand, pull the head, and get to work!
Old Jan 7, 2015, 04:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
there to help anytime man...
(specially after moving down in a month or so..)

Last edited by nekkidlad; Jan 7, 2015 at 05:10 AM.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 09:24 AM
Evolved Member

good job boys...what's next?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

THE OTHER ONE!
lol...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

LOL not quite yet.

- Remove green car from garage, and move around the ones in the yard.

- Gotta clean up my unorganized, messy garage. Its bad. I've been known to leave tools lying around instead of putting them back. My brother comes over to use my stuff quite often. And my wife thinks that I have spare storage space in there when I dont... LOL

- Then I'll start rebuilding the engine. P-n-P head, thicker head gasket, balance shaft delete, crank scraper, phenolic spacers, TB bypass, oil cooler, Oil feed and drain added, all new gaskets, paint.

- During all that I'll inspect the tranny, and install the LSD, clean it up and paint it.

- Then when the engine and tranny are ready I'll pull the white car in, and start removing everything from it for the swap.

For some reason I keep day dreaming about making a top mounted setup for my turbo. I keep convincing myself its not really worth it but I almost think it would give me more space. I researched yesterday how to reclock the 16g. Apparently I have to remove a pin from the compressor side, and grind down a pin on the hotside. Then the turbo will be clockable... I guess I'll just wait until the engine is sitting inside the white car and see how it will work best before getting the manifold finished.

EDIT:: I also think Im going to try to make a separate thread detailing the disassembly of the engine. I havent seen anything like that on here for the 4g69. Might include the rebuild, or maybe that'll be another thread of is own... Thoughts?

Last edited by bakuro117; Jan 8, 2015 at 07:25 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

IMO just do one with disassembly, reassembly and any mods u do to it...
later people can pick n choose if/what they need...not to mention comment and complain as desired...

and makes it easier for you...only worry about 1 thread...(well...1 additional thread...lol)
Old Jan 15, 2015, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117

EDIT:: I also think Im going to try to make a separate thread detailing the disassembly of the engine. I havent seen anything like that on here for the 4g69. Might include the rebuild, or maybe that'll be another thread of is own... Thoughts?
Yuuuup! Stickied in the DIY section

Quick Reply: Bakuro's Turbo Build