Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Bakuro's Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2015, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
The first picture of the turbo on the last page. Where the turbo is on the table. Imagine it in the engine bay just like that. With a log manifold between it and the head. And of course the compressor clocked downwards, and the oil rotated so that it drains appropriatly.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
am I looking down into the engine bay? would that not allow less room? I want to be there so bad...
Old Jun 15, 2015, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe you can sketch the configuration to help us visualise it Bakuro.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Ok got some pics.

Here are the measurement pics. The pictures make it look a bit smaller than the actual measurements.

This is a traditional mounting position. You can see that all the length takes up every bit of the space between the rad and engine. Let alone when you get below the exhaust flange and you have to deal with the starter, fan motor, alt, and ac compressor. Thought about a top mount but then it interferes with other stuff and would be difficult to route the exhaust and clear the hood.

But in this direction once I clock the compressor and center I should have about 3 inches to try to work out a manifold of some sort, likely a log style. Put an external wastegate on top of the manifold and have it connect to a custom downpipe and everything else should fit pretty closely. Of course it will be centered on the exhaust, It wont sit that far to the left, was just setting it there for orientation. All the length that I was dealing with in the last picture is now vertical instead of horizontal so it takes up less space.

Thoughts? Should I go thru with this setup? My only other option is to switch to my half sized radiator, buy and oil cooler for the tranny, and use an external wastegate with the traditional mounting position. I want to keep the car as my daily so I dont know how comfortable I am trusting a half sized radiator to cool the engine on long trips. Ive read reviews that say they work fine but Im skeptical I guess.

Last edited by bakuro117; Jun 15, 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

ok, I see what you're talking about now...the first picture shows the dimension that was eluding me...

now, having the turbine inlet facing the head, poses a problem with the O2 housing, even if you make one, the bend I feel would not fit, without being somewhat restrictive...I think maybe a downward 45 degree mounting angle might get you close to where you want to be...

as far as the half rad, I don't think it would be a problem...if you look at our stock rad, it's pretty thin, most performance half rads are actually thicker and hold close to the same volume of coolant...you're basically just scrapping your A/C...either that or you could go with a DSM style, or like a T3, which is a fair bit smaller, but are not twin scroll. Have you poked around the 2002-2003 section? a lot of those guys are using Evo setups. I haven't looked too closely, but it might be worth a shot to look through some of their builds, to see what they did for fitment...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 15, 2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 10:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Josh, why not try to duplicate the RPW manifold since they've figured out the room issues, ie; downpipe with an appropriate radius that clears the a/c compressor, wastegate actuator assy clearing the block/starter, "No modifications required on air conditioning or starter motor etc. Slim line thermo fans only required."http://www.rpw.com.au/shop/index.php...1&Itemid=1...?

I know I've brought this up before, but I still think this is the route I'd go if/when I do this again!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 24, 2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

the RPW manifold is made for a different turbo
Old Jun 25, 2015, 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Ive been kicking this around now. Spoke to a few people I know who have also done DIY turbo builds.

I think I am going to order another slim fan, possibly a pusher style. Install it on the front of the AC condenser, and install my half rad. I'll run it that way for a few days and keep a close eye on my water temps. If everything looks well I will go ahead with mounting it in the standard position since I already have a manifold and flange ready. If the actuator fits then it will stay. If not I will ditch the actuator, order two wastegates and have them added to the manifold and a custom down pipe made. Going to go ahead and make a 3" exhaust since I have a full exhaust in my garage to mock. And at some point before I put it all in I need to get WRX 440s or the STi Pinks, and something that will allow me to relocate my overflow tank.

Im ready to get this ball rolling again. Like someone said in my show-n-shine thread. Im just going to buy a piece per paycheck and get this thing done. Im ready for boost!
Old Jun 25, 2015, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Im just going to buy a piece per paycheck and get this thing done.
that's how I did mine...

if you find a good price on sti pinks let me know, unless it's a one-off deal...or I could trade you my WRX's plus cash if you find some pinks :P

also, why two wastegates? are the runners in the manifold separeted all the way to the flange?
Old Jun 26, 2015, 03:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
also, why two wastegates? are the runners in the manifold separeted all the way to the flange?
Yea its twin scroll runners are seperate even down into the hotside. They meet when they blend in the exducer. Therefore I have to keep those seperated or I negate the biggest benefit of a twin scroll by pressurizing the entire manifold by linking both sides to a single wastegate.

Diagram for reference.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

still the internal wastegate is a single flapper only the port is split, so, you should be able to run a single external from the collector, as long as you tap into each half of the system. but in this case I would retain the internal wastegate, for simplicity on both sides of the turbo...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jun 26, 2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2015, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi guys,

Apologies for veering off topic, is installing a Walbro 255 for the Evo into our Ralliart a straight forward swap or is it more involved ?

Last edited by 2006_RA; Jun 26, 2015 at 06:43 AM.
Old Jun 28, 2015, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

you need to modify the cradle for the pump in one of a few ways...because the 255 is taller
Old Jun 29, 2015, 02:04 PM
Silver Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some great progress! Looking forward to seeing where you come out with the turbo position.
Email: sales@bulletproofautomotive.com
Direct North American Dealers for Voltex, Mines, Varis, First Molding, HKS Kansai, Cusco, HKS, Advan, Volk, Ings+1, C-West, Work, and so much more...
Old Jul 3, 2015, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks! I appreciate it. Im still working on it. I have a bonus coming up from work and Im probably going to dump all of it that I can into finishing this up.

Quick Reply: Bakuro's Turbo Build