Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Bakuro's Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2014, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Bakuro's Turbo Build

Well I decided to finally make a thread for my turbo build instead of just talking about it. I'll compile as much info as I can in these first two posts to try to keep it organized.

So as of right now Im about to get started on the build. Im wrapping up some stuff with my Eclipse then im putting a For Sale sign on it and going full force into this build.

The subject of this build is my Olive Drab Green 2004 Manual Ralliart. Former owners are Smike and Otter. It currently has bent valves. Going to get it in the garage ASAP and pull the motor and transmission and start work.

Here is the motor that will be receiving the boost. Plans for it are to pull it get the head repaired. Delete the balance shafts. Remove A/C. Maybe swap my underdrive pulley onto it. Delete the EGR and Evap system.

And here is everything else.

Evo VIII lower intercooler piping, and Intercooler still wrapped up from shipping

Evo upper Intercooler piping, BOV

Megan Racing exhaust manifold, Intake Pipe, and BOV. The manifold has been chopped off of the 4g63 flange and will undergo surgery to fit it up to a 4g69 flange I have. Im still trying to figure out if I'll be able to use this Intake pipe or not. I would like to but Im not sure how the MAF would work then...

Greddy Oil Sandwich Adapter. Debating whether I will use this to feed the turbo or if I will do like Cransiwick did and feed the turbo from the back of the engine. Then just use this to cool oil someday.

Evo 560cc Injectors, Injector Resistor Pack, and Walbro 255 fuel pump. Ignore the fuel rail that got used on the Eclipse.

And here is the turbo. I may need to rebuild it as it has a tiny bit of play up and down.

From here I need to collect a few other things and if you have links to parts you see on this list I would greatly appreciate getting them! Also if you know where I can find parts for cheaper I'd appreciate those links as well!

3 bar
Wideband
Boost Gauge
Oil Pressure Gauge
Oil Temp Gauge
Water Temp Gauge
timing belt tensioners
Oil feed
Oil return flange
Head Studs
Wastegate actuator spring
Manual boost controller
Freeze plug (lost the one in my balance shaft delete kit...)
Magnetic oil drain plug
Head Gasket
LSD (still debating between the conversion or a wavetrac/quaiffe unit)
Brakes (rotors are hella rusted im doubtful they will be worth anything...)
Battery relocate stuff

Things I want but might not come till later:
V6 TB
Stronger Axles
Oil Cooler
Stainless Steel brake lines
Aftermarket Steering wheel
radio relocate
gauge pod for where the radio was

Step one though is to pull the motor and get the head off to nationalhead.com to be rebuilt, ported, and polished. Stay tuned! Pics to come!

Last edited by bakuro117; Jun 10, 2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

reserved.
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
reserved.
damnit!
Old Jun 10, 2014, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

that intake will work fine with speed density
Old Jun 10, 2014, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Yea that's what I was hoping to go for! I'm hoping to see more development on that soon. Speed density would be amazing. Ive heard its more reliable, and you can run a vent to atmosphere blow off valve without the ECU dumping fuel after letting off that pressure.

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
damnit!
Lmao!
Old Jun 16, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Cut a 2'x2' hole in the ceiling of my garage. Gunna throw some 2x4s up there and make a ghetto engine hoist with a come along. Going to pull the engine and transmission, split the two, and inspect the clutch. Then pull the head and get the valves replaced and start reassembling the motor. While thats happening Im also going to pull apart the trans so I can inspect its insides and install and LSD. Depending on if the Eclipse gets sold or not by then is how I'll pick between a quaiffe or a conversion.

I need to kick this into overdrive because I was wanting it done by August. Times ticking...
Old Jun 17, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excited for this! Subscribed!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks mike!

-------

So I pulled the ceramic coated header and downpipe out of the car last night. All the bolts were extremely rusty but luckily I didnt break anything. Planning to install it into the white car this week and see how it sounds/feels. At some point I will remove the rest of the exhaust as I want to do a full 3" pipe for the turbo setup. And the magnaflow muffler with look and probably sound better than the old piece on the white RA.

While all that was removed I tried putting the turbo (Evo VIII 16g w/ 10.5 hotside) it wasnt even close to fitting. So knowing that I will be removing the radiator and switching to my half sized that I have in my pile of RA parts. lol

As a side note. I had been thinking about putting an under drive pulley on when I rebuild the engine. Turns out it already has the RRM piece!
Old Jul 2, 2014, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Well i have come to the realization that I probably wont be able to get this car finished by the shootout... Just not enough time or money to get it done in a month. Because of this I am going to adjust my plans for this build and aim for next year's shootout. I'll update again when I settle on some things. Lots of plans and ideas floating around right now.

Either way though. I will be pulling the motor from the car soon and will continue to update as i repair and build the engine.

One update I do have is that the car WILL run on speed density. So I am currently debating between mounting the turbo the traditional way or making a forward facing setup. Going to have to talk with my welder some more to see what he thinks.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sweet build man, does that manifold allow for the stock rad and fans? j/w as i noticed a lot of them dont,
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by LncrRA
Sweet build man, does that manifold allow for the stock rad and fans? j/w as i noticed a lot of them dont,
No it doesnt. Im going to be switching to a half sized radiator.

-------

So I decided to spend a little time working on the car last night. I took out the SRI, (dead) battery, battery tray, radiator, overflow tank, and FCM.

The SRI and Radiator will probably be put up for sale soon.

I also took care to get the FCM off because I realized after switching to the half rad in my Eclipse that it wouldnt have been as ghetto if I hadn't broken the module on accident... lol

I think I have a core charge I can get back if I take the battery into AutoZone.

I also noticed that the car has Hella super tone horns installed! Which is pretty cool. I'll probably relocate them for two reasons. One the Intercooler will need to go where they are now. And I'd like to put them somewhere visible. :P

Also thinking about removing the AC. The compressor on the white car isnt working for some reason and this car has a few kinked lines from where it was hit by a car a while back before smike repaired it.

Engine bay is looking more empty without all that stuff and without the exhaust. I test fitted the turbo once more. I think I know how I want it to sit but Im going to take off the front bumper and mock up the Evo intercooler piping to see how that will fit up before making a final decision.

Last edited by bakuro117; Jul 10, 2014 at 08:14 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2014, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

get on it! I want to see this thing going! good thing it won't be ready for the shootout, cause I can't make it this year...found out a few weeks back my best friend is getting married in Nova Scotia the following weekend, and I can't afford both trips...
Old Jul 11, 2014, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

LOL I wanna see it going too! haha! Funds are the only thing slowing me down right now. I need to fix the mower, then I can pull the car in and start tearing it down.

I actually dont think I'll make it to the shootout this year either. I wanted to really bad. But we'll be moving her into my house since Im getting married the weekend before. And my white RA is just being weird. And we are leaving for the honey moon that sunday so that'd be a helluva lotta driving and money that I could be spending in Cancun. LOL So I totally understand what your going through!

Good point about not having the shootout deadline now is that once she moves in I'll have a lot more money to play with. Which means good things for the car!
Old Jul 14, 2014, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad news about you guys possibly not making it down.

Ill be sure to post pics and videos
Old Jul 14, 2014, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Please do!!!

I'll make it in 2015 and the RA will be packing a punch then! I'll try to convince someone to drive the white RA up as well.

Quick Reply: Bakuro's Turbo Build