Notices
04-06 Ralliart Aftermarket Forced Induction Tech (aftermarket turbo/supercharger related topics)

Turbo swag wagon

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo swag wagon

So long story short I have an 04 lancers ls sport back and it may or may not be the baby blue version and I may or may not want to put a turbo on it. So with that being the the car has 176k miles on it and it's the depressing automatic version but who cares. Turbo. how much do you guys think it will set me back. The only reason I'm on the ralliart and not the lancer forum is becuase it has the engine and transmission of the ralliart. So with that being said. Help me out. I also have an 04 lancer ralliart with 193k miles on it. What should I do with it?
Old Sep 20, 2016, 06:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
there is no wagon i'm aware of that has a manual transmission, so it's not the "automatic version" it's the sportback version which is automatic by default...i will tell you now, depending on what you have at your disposal, and how mechanically inclined you are, turbocharging this car can range from $2,000, to probably $10,000...if you do the work yourself, you're looking at less than $5,000 most likely, and if you build the turbo kit yourself, or at least the majority of it, you're looking at less than $3,000...that's on a stock motor...if you build the block to handle more than 250-300hp you can add at least $2,000 to each of those numbers...

with the other ralliart i would decided which one i wanted to invest in, and either daily drive the other, sell it to cover the cost of turbocharging the other, or use it for spare parts...if it's in good condition, and you don't need to offset the cost, then i would go with the first choice...
Old Sep 23, 2016, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
A cheap route to go about turbo charging is to buy used evo parts from the forums. Evo intercooler, piping, bypass valve, and such will save you a lot of time and struggle trying to custom make pipes, and mount and intercooler. A small turbo will give you more room to work with in the engine bay. However I eventually came to the conclusion that it would be better to save yourself the headache and just switch to a halfsize radiator. And since this is an auto you will want a transmission oil cooler. If you go that route you can run either an Evo VIII or IX turbo, get an aftermarket tubular manifold for an evo and a 4g69 flange and have them hacked together for your manifold. Doing things this way makes the only fabrication you need to do swapping flanges on the tubular manifold, and making a downpipe from the O2 housing on the turbo to your existing exhaust at the flex pipe.

That takes care of the big stuff. But there are a ton of bits and things you will need as well and that can be where the headaches come in. oil feed, oil return, map sensor, tuning, maintenance, preventative measures.

I wouldnt go into turboing this car without expecting to spend at least $5000. If your going big and building the motor add a few more thousand to that.