Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Stiff Shifting?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2005, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stiff Shifting?

Well i drove to school today, and the shifting process felt fine, but afterschool when i was driving home and the car was warmed up and everything the shifter felt really sloppy. Like normally i can have it in neutral and play around with it (wiggle it left and right) to make sure it's in neutral, but now when it's in neutral it don't do it, instead it feels really stiff and encounters what seems to be the seperator to the gears for the shifter to follow while shifting. Another thing, when i shift into 3rd, from neutral or from 2nd/4th it feels really sloppy, and it's no longer a mechanical feeling instead it feels like ****...

Any ideas guys? Anyone else have this problem? I haven't done anything to the drivetrain/clutch system to the car, nor have i been pushing it lately...
Old Apr 6, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Try disconnecting your shifter cables underhood, and see if it's the shifter+cables or the trans that's giving you this resistance. You should be able to move the levers on the trans by hand.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

alright i'll take a look, i might just bring it into the dealer because i'm having major strut noises from my driverside front strut...
Old Apr 7, 2005, 10:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have that occassionally, but it usually only lasts a few shifts. Not sure what causes it.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

This was really weird and it's only happened once (yesterday) so far, I got locked INTO 5th! I was taking the off ramp on my way to work and I had to put the clutch in 3-4 times really quick to get it out of 5th. It freaked my **** real good when it happened. It's the one thing I never expected to happen with a DSM, getting locked into a gear not out of one. Anyone else?
Old Apr 7, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by amg_dragon
It's the one thing I never expected to happen with a DSM, getting locked into a gear not out of one.
I don't think there's anything a DSM transmission could do that would surprise me anymore. Locking into/out of gears, losing 1st-4th leaving me with only 5th and reverse, grenading the center diff, breaking shift forks, etc...

I've had 3 DSMs, and about 8 transmissions.
Old Apr 7, 2005, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

haha, you're almost as bad as this kid i know.. he went through a tranny in a scion (which are supposedly supposed to have good trannies) in a matter of i believe 2-3 months.. that's also 1 of the many trannies he's blown. Not sure how many but he's up there with you
Old Apr 7, 2005, 08:59 PM
Evolved Member

Well, one of those 8 died with 214,000 miles on it. Not too bad. That was the one that ended up with only 5th and reverse. It got me home, but I had to blow a couple stop signs to do it.
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

haha i'd just toss it in reverse...
Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
haha i'd just toss it in reverse...
Not when the last stop sign was still 10 miles from home. When the other gears went, I was over 100 miles away. I babied it up onto the interstate (figuring I'd have to use my AAA-plus to tow me home), found out 5th gear was fine, and just didn't take it out of 5th until it was time to back it into my driveway.
Old Apr 9, 2005, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Myszkewicz
Not when the last stop sign was still 10 miles from home. When the other gears went, I was over 100 miles away. I babied it up onto the interstate (figuring I'd have to use my AAA-plus to tow me home), found out 5th gear was fine, and just didn't take it out of 5th until it was time to back it into my driveway.
jejejejeje very funny and ****ed up at the same time dude
Old Apr 10, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

haha nice... i'm still getting that shifting proble, but it only happens after i drive for about 10 minutes... any ideas guys? The odd part is that it doesn't do it when the car is cold.. only when it's warm. (my car is f'ed up...)
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Definitely change your fluid. There may be something in there that's draining down when the car sits, but gets circulated up to the gears as you drive, and causes your problems. $10 to try to fix it yourself isn't too bad.

If that doesn't do it, get the car nice and warm, and take it back to the dealer.
Old Apr 10, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

alright i'm gonna try that... I think my clutch is fine, shouldn't be that if that has anything to do with it.. but i'll replace the fliud, any suggestions on what to replace it with (without mitsubishi going awol on my *** for putting in the wrong fluid).
Old Apr 10, 2005, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bruce988jl
i'll replace the fliud, any suggestions on what to replace it with (without mitsubishi going awol on my *** for putting in the wrong fluid).
No. I put GM Synchromesh in mine when I changed it. I would NOT suggest doing the same, and then taking it in to the dealer for transmission problems.

The manual specifies API class GL-4, in 75w-85 or 75w-90 weight. I will say that the stuff I drained out of mine felt and flowed like it was a lot thinner than that. It didn't smell like gear oil, either. You could call a Mitsu dealer (not necessarily the one you'd be taking your car to), and ask what you should put in there.

Quick Reply: Stiff Shifting?