Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

4G69 Information/Cross References

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotham93
Getting the Evo IX Wagon would be difficult. I'd do it if one were available.
The downside is that the 69 is a 2.4L, the 63 is a 2L (I know how powerful the 2L is, but going with forced induction on a 2.4L will provide can provide more power gains than a 2L). The 69 is also a lighter block, and has a longer stroke.

The 63 is more commonly known, has more forums, mods and aftermarket parts due to its widespread use.

The IX also has the AWD (with LSD at rear), turbo/intercooler setup.

I've been researching and planning mods, add ons and accessories for the best part of 5 months. This is quite a bloody conundrum, makes me a little sad actually. I think I need a day of two of reflection.
the 4G69 block is lighter cause there's less material, the 4G63 has a closed deck. Also 2.4L pistons are harder to come by and more expensive, a 4G63 is capable of much more power right out of the box, with a stock bottom end, not to mention parts are much easier to come by, specifically pistons...the 4G69 would need to be built initially to be reliably capable of 350hp.

Also what is the primary reason for making it RWD? because the non-Evo lancer chassis are not designed to support a rear subframe, or AWD suspension...unless there's something different about the wagon...would be a lot of fabrication...I run about 300hp through a stock F5M42...FWD with LSD is not that bad, I've beat Evos in autocross, mind you that's on tarmac....on snow or gravel, AWD is trump...I'm not trying to shoot you down, I'm just prying a bit to get a feel for what your end goal is, so we can help. If you're serious about this, start a build thread...this is a sticky for cross reference.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 06:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your research may not be for nothing, check Doncarbone's thread:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...r-evo-9-a.html

May help you decide.

Also, JDM Lancers and Lancer wagons used to be available in 4WD up to the model before yours. I would check if the current models still have that trim level.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Sep 1, 2015 at 06:51 AM.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
the 4G69 block is lighter cause there's less material, the 4G63 has a closed deck. Also 2.4L pistons are harder to come by and more expensive, a 4G63 is capable of much more power right out of the box, with a stock bottom end, not to mention parts are much easier to come by, specifically pistons...the 4G69 would need to be built initially to be reliably capable of 350hp.

The 69 engine has been proven to handle 16psi in aus, RPW in Perth have a project on the engine. The internals are able to cope with a fair bit of punishment.
Also, there is this
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...xperiment.html
which is awesome, using the 69 block and the 63 head.
Granted using components that are stronger/lighter than oem.
I just like the 2.4L.
Also, this is my first car, so I'm deffs biased towards its capabilities.

I think I will try and find a ix wagon. Like you've said, performance wise, It's an easier way to get where I wanted to go with the ES CH.
Less guesswork, less work, and less cost in total.

The aim for the project was to make it as good as it could be. A Japanese limo wagon, but also able to pull its own weight around, as well as a boat perhaps, or a couple of fat dudes. I got a little carried away with performance stuff. Lets say I have a lot of free time.

Now my plans have changed. The ix Wagon would suit me perfectly. It'll be a while before I can turn the key in my driveway, but that's my new goal. Once I have it, I can go from there. Thanks for opening my eyes CrAnSwIcK.

2006_RA, that thread is awesome!
Old Sep 2, 2015, 04:08 PM

Went through the 6G75 TB swap (eclipse gt) about a month ago now on my 4g69 equipped Outlander. I noted most who have done the swap did a bypass at the same time, weather here reaching -40'c some days through the winter I didn't do the by-pass. It left one hose a little on the short side. It "worked" but the stress on the hose was just asking for troubles and replaced it with one about 1-2 inches longer. Still a pretty easy part to cross-install.

Don't really notice the difference in throttle response but already being 25% under driven I wasn't sure I was going to notice it anyways.

Last edited by Izerous; Sep 2, 2015 at 04:11 PM.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Izerous
Went through the 6G75 TB swap (eclipse gt) about a month ago now on my 4g69 equipped Outlander. I noted most who have done the swap did a bypass at the same time, weather here reaching -40'c some days through the winter I didn't do the by-pass. It left one hose a little on the short side. It "worked" but the stress on the hose was just asking for troubles and replaced it with one about 1-2 inches longer. Still a pretty easy part to cross-install.

Don't really notice the difference in throttle response but already being 25% under driven I wasn't sure I was going to notice it anyways.

how is the idle...you may want to consider tuning...
Old Sep 3, 2015, 08:11 AM

how is the idle...you may want to consider tuning...
Idle's a touch low I tried to address that after the UDP install years ago however the tuning software + license I got my hands on was built for the RAs and wasn't able to get around the differences in the ECU. Mainly it wasn't able to authenticate against the VIN the license was for.

Haven't bothered to take it to an actual tuner after that.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

you purchased a license? for uvtune/fastworks?
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:52 AM

you purchased a license? for uvtune/fastworks?
uvtune

Edit: He did work with me for a while on it and did quite a bit of back and forth but never got through to the ECU. Haven't tried with more recent versions of the software, but it is on my todo list... that list is just really long with a 2yo running around the house.

Last edited by Izerous; Sep 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:44 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Izerous
uvtune

Edit: He did work with me for a while on it and did quite a bit of back and forth but never got through to the ECU. Haven't tried with more recent versions of the software, but it is on my todo list... that list is just really long with a 2yo running around the house.

wait till your 2yo is seven and teases his 4yo sister constantly...

if you have a valid license for uvtune, you should be able to get migrated to the Fastworks system, and try a newer version...the next build should be pretty sweet.