Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Performance Part Review

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2005, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i can give you guys quite a few reviews...

injen CAI - go with the guy above me, he described it perfect (a loud, viscious, amazing noise towards redline. maybe louder then my exhaust if my windows are down)

custum 2.5 cat-back exhaust... great sound, great looks, no noticable performance gains

piggyback- GREAT boost at 3700 rpms... GREAT boost... buy this if u dont have it already

clutch and flywheel - very good (details posted in the rrm clutch flywheel thread)

SS clutch line - you NEED this if you put the clutch and flywheel in... you need to get rid of that slave in order to engage that racing clutch quick enough, otherwise it feels like you "grind" the gears sometimes if you stuff dont engage intime when really banging out those gears

b&m shortthrow shifter from RRM - dont waste your money, its only a 1 inch reduction in throw, and the stock shifter is only a little less tight.

carbon fiber hood - oh my god its beautiful

Motor mounts - really keeps your engine in place. vibration is only noticible at idle or at redlights, and its very tolorable. if you have the clutch in your car, you NEED these mounts. everyday driving is better, and racing is MUCH MUCH better

Joe's pulley - well worth the money and as all of you may know by now, nice gains all around the powerband... buy this before he runs out, u'll regret it

whoever the first person to buy that intake manifold RRM just came out with, please give us all a review... we are dieing to know

o yea... if you want more details on my rather brief reviews, message me or post up and i'll describe it best i can...

aim - opivynofxboy

Last edited by Ralliart_on_LSD; Sep 4, 2005 at 06:26 AM. Reason: new mods
Old Jul 17, 2005, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
o yea... if you want more details on my rather brief reviews, message me or post up and i'll describe it best i can...

aim - opivynofxboy
Old Jul 31, 2005, 01:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Authority Short Shifter

After having some serious issues with my kartboy shifter I decided to bite the bullet and spend roughly 60 CAD on an authority shifter thinking it might be worse than stock for that price. I was wrong this shifter is amazing I like it way better than the kartboy one it's got quite a bit shorter height and the throws have 35% reduction first to second feels a whole lot better. Really worth the money IMO.
Old Aug 22, 2005, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

RRM ECU Piggyback for 04/05 Manual Tranny's

Well, first off, I'd just like to say that this is a very good mod but quite expensive for a Canadian (something like 600$ CAD after exchange, duties, etc.) Nonetheless, I am a strong believer in you get what you pay for, and I believe I got my $ worth with this mod.

First off, those who don't know, this mod can void your warranty and you need to run 91 octane gas with it. Which is why I strongly recommend installing it with quick-connect/disconnect plugs. I went to a local autoparts store and bought some electrical connectors (bought two 4 wire connectors that sort of look like a hard drive connector you see in your PC.) and soldered the connector wires to the Piggyback and ECU wires. When I need to take it off I just unplug the connectors and presto, car's back to stock. I can bring it in for servicing with no worries.

Install was pretty easy. Just make sure you take your time. When you are ready to turn your car on, don't. Double-check your work. If you splice into the wrong wire, your car isn't going to sound very good.... trust me on that one! **I didn't splice into the right wire on one of em and my car was sounding really really sick. Called Mojambo on here and he was kind enough to answer my questions, thanks Mojambo!!!***

Piggy has 6 wires to connect. There are only 4 ECU wires to splice into. The other 2 piggyback wires connect each to an end of an ECU wire that you must actually cut. If you aren't comfortable soldering, find someone who does. Might as well do as good a job as possible and when working with wiring the best kind of connection possible is a soldered and electrically taped one.

When you are done the install, you need to make the ECU learn again. This process takes somewhere around 25 min. This consists of idling for around 5-10 minutes and then driving around conservatively for another 15. If you turn your car off at this point, turn it back on and idle is good, you are ready to rock!

I already had the Injen intake and RRM axleback installed when I put this on. As I stated in my review for the Injen intake, I lost ALOT of torque in the low to mid range rpms. Basically, this piggyback gives that torque back to you and then a little. Don't expect a a huge PEAK increase in HP, expect that you'll notice that whatever gear your in pulls alot harder than before. It's a great mod to have if you have any kind of air intake because the piggyback compliments the intake's high rpm's gain/low-mid rpm loss with low and mid rpm gains. I've also noticed, and not sure if this is just me, that the car seems to want to stall out less when dropping below 1k rpm.

I give this mod a 8/10. 1.5 points deducted only because for a signal calibrator its pretty expensive (for a Canadian), even though they did a great job on the R&D for this. The other .5 is taken off because I can now only use 91 octane and with rising gas prices, I've definitely seen a difference in my monthly gas $'s. To sum it up, if you have an Intake, you have a car that pulls nicely from 5K up. If you have an Intake and Piggy, you have a car that pulls nicely from idle to redline.

Bottom line: If you have an Intake, get the piggy if you can. You won't be disappointed and you'll be grinning from ear to ear as you floor the pedal and get pushed to the back of your seat anywhere over 2Krpms.

Last edited by Dre 8472; Aug 22, 2005 at 12:58 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS Authority 5pc Short Shifter Combo

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...3&cat=6&page=1

That's the product i bought. The package didn't come with instructions, but i found a how-to on the B&M short shifter online and it helped a ton. For a person with no background on shifter work at all the install was amazingly simple. The shifter bushings went in no problem, and the how-to on the under-hood shifter bushings helped out a lot. I dropped one of the pins that came stock with the car, but luckily the bushings themselves came with 2 pins themselves. Another thing i also suggest is to get some grease on the joints so they shift a bit better, which wasn't included with the combo, but normally comes with the B&M. No modification needed for the shifter assembly and harness, and it even came with that 20$ piece that you have to buy from mitsu when you replace the shifter.

One thing i didn't like was the big shift knob, it was basically a big chrome ball, but i'm starting to grow on it, it feels nice to grab and throw around, and the stock shift knob doesn't thread straight onto the shift knob but still fits if you dont' mind it crooked.

As far as the short shifter, it lowers it down about a good inch or so, and the brass bushings make the shifting very mechanical and precise. Overall i give the product a 10/10 and as far as ease of install with 1 being the easiest and 10 being the hardest, i'd say it's a 4-5 because you need to take apart the centerconsole and if you're a big person it's hard to install the underhood bushings. As far as appearance goes, i love the shorter look of the shifter, beyond that you can't really see much difference unless you look for the brass bushings under the hood...
Old Dec 15, 2005, 12:34 PM
Evolving Member

B&M Short Shifter w/ Alum. Base Bushings, S-S Brass Cable Bushings

I wish that I could rate these separately but I installed them all in the same night, so I can only rate them as a group. Overall with all 3 upgrades together I would give them a 10/10. The installs were all relatively easy, and give a noticeable difference in shifter performance.

B&M Short Shifter
Overall I would say this is a great mod with an obvious difference in throw length if you set the shifter up for maximum reduction. The only problem I had with the kit was that they do not tell you how to get the white plastic piece off the original shifter. If you are not prepared for this it can be a pain. I had to use a hack saw to cut the original shifter in half (not fun). The piece can be purchased from a mitsu dealer for $20 IF they have them in stock. Other than this one problem, the kit was easy to install and well worth the time and money.

Speed Source Brass Cable Bushings
After installing the brash bushings I only drove the car down the street and back before installing the short shifter, but I could definitely feel a difference in shift performance. This is not a mod that will change your life, but it’s well worth the $30 and is really easy to install.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Aem SRI

I am rewriting my review because I have had a few day to drive the hell out of my car. This part is great. I was worth every penny. It is very high quality and looks really good. Performance wise 0-3500 rpm you lose very little low end, but at 3500 when MIVEC kicks in it just sucks in air. There is a noticeable increase in power, the sound is great, and throttle response is greatly improved. Instalation of the part is easy over all, the hard part is getting the screw out of the MAS. The other negative reguarding the install is the allen screws provided are standard size not metric, considering 99.5 percent of the tools you use to work on cars nowdays are metric this caught me off guard and I wasted about 10 min looking for my standard allen wrench set. for the quality and perfomance gain of the part I would give it a 8.5/10. Install went fairly smooth with the above noted exception that gets a 7/10.

Last edited by javastan; Dec 29, 2005 at 07:01 AM.
Old Feb 2, 2006, 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last edited by PR_Mivec; Mar 17, 2006 at 08:34 AM.
Old Feb 10, 2006, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

WORKS clutch, clutch line, and flywheel...pretty awesome...took awhile to get used to launcing but a noticible difference in acceleration. 8/10
Old Mar 17, 2006, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

RRM Axleback Exhaust w/ Magnaflow

Relatively, RRM did a very good job of matching the Magnaflow exhaust system with their piping. The only issue I had is that, the hangers did not fit the car properly as stated. I was told its just a bolt on, and I wont need anything else. The hangers needed some moddifying to get it to hang properly. Other than that, and some missing screws that didnt come with the bag, it was a very good product. It is a low humming muffler, not high pitched blow your ears out like, but a very sporty deep hum. You will feel it vibrate your home from 20-30ft away.

Aside from the problems I posted, the axleback is a great system and I would recommend this to those who want a bigger exhaust, deeper sounding system!

8/10
Old Mar 24, 2006, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

RRM Cold Air Intake V2

RRM Cold Air Intake V2

boy... I was dissapointed with this product. It looked good coming outta the box. Tried to mount it on myself to find a few problems...

1. IT was TOO BIG. It wouldnt fit inside properly, what I had to do was go to a shop, spend $100CND to get it chopped and mounted. It was about 4 inches chopped off because it was too long, the filter was hitting the wheelbase. I was very unhappy with this.

2. The MAF air sensors dont mount properly. Had to do modifcations to get the screws to SOMEWHAT line up.

I did not expect this to happen cause I've read great things. BUt this was truly unreasonable. WIll have to talk to RRM about this issue.

Performance:
I didnt notice much of a lower end loss but instead felt a greater pull at lower ends, the top end runs very smoothly and has a very vicious sound to it.

Overall, the product itself is a 5/10.

I also have pics of what I happened so if anyone wants em just let me know.
Old Mar 24, 2006, 06:32 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
You should definitely give Rob a call at RRM. #1 seems very strange, as the intakes are made from a jig, so every one should be identical. Where was it hitting, on the filter side? It was long enough to hit the inside of the bumper in the hollow space inside the splash guards?
Old Mar 25, 2006, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up Deyeme Racing Motor mounts

Firstly I can't explain how large a difference filled mounts make. I expected some improvement but WOW! 1-2 shifts now make me want a short shifter. Wheel hop? What's that? Nothing but a clean scrub of the tires so far and I've been escalating the rpms w/ each launch. So far I've only installed the front mount as light is fading fast and I wanted to give it a good romp first. No matter who you buy them from, BUY THEM/MAKE THEM! Now on to the review of Deyeme's version:

On the plus side, they're cheaper. They're done by a company local to me (which I found out after checking the site DOH!). They come in a variety of colors and you have a choice of stiff or stiffer. They work reaaaaallly good imho.

The bad side is they're really just Mitsu motor mounts that have been filled. I'd put them somewhere between blk-majik's vbmenu_register("postmenu_1552502", true); method and Myszkewicz vbmenu_register("postmenu_2492091", true); method, filled to the brim with urethane but rubber underneath. Which brings me to the other bad thing, they filled them a little TOO full and I couldn't re-install the rubber boot. There just wasn't enough room for boot to fit inside the ears and I didn't feel like carving off any urethane to make it fit. Soooo, if you're looking for the total stealth approach they might not be for you. Also I noted I had to reposition the motor a small bit to get the center bolt back in, nothing product related actually, just had to pull down on a thankfully cold exhaust pipe to align the bolt. A friend pushing from the top would have worked as well, it was only a 1/4" off.

Final scores: Performance wise it's a 9. Only because of the fit and finish otherwise it'd be a 10. I'll send them an email about being carefull not to overfill for any future RA's so you can retain the rubber boot cover.

Value: 6/10 6 If you feel up to running out and getting all the stuff yourself and baking urethane in your oven. 10 if you don't/can't bake plastics in your oven for whatever reason or don't feel like messing with it for another 40-50 bucks, more if you buy from a dealer.

Install: Front mount was a piece of cake if you remove the front to back brace for the front mount. I'll let you know once/if I replace the rear mount how bad it was.
Old Mar 27, 2006, 06:55 AM
Evolving Member

Thumbs up RRM ud pulley.

I am not going to give this a long review. A bunch of us have it, if you don't have this part yet, BUY IT NOW. For less than 140 bucks it is dollar for dollar the best mod you can get. My car pulls harder, get better millage. It also seems to compliment other mods you have done quite well. Buy this you won't be dissapointed.
Old Apr 10, 2006, 03:15 PM
Evolving Member

RRM Piggy Back 5 spd

Just got it installed this morning. Feels great, huge pull at after 4000 and I'm very happy with this product. For NA good upgrade. Also very good move with including the software RRM! 9/10!

Quick Reply: Performance Part Review