Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Researching AWD Conversion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2016, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Benholding
Hello I would be very interested in your research findings I have the same idea for my 05 ralliart 2.4
don't bother, it's a cool idea, but in practice it's very expensive and time consuming. and if not done right you could ruin the chassis.
Old Jan 3, 2016, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
don't bother, it's a cool idea, but in practice it's very expensive and time consuming. and if not done right you could ruin the chassis.
Having done this swap I agree with Cranswick on most of his points.

I only disagree with this needing to be expensive, but that can be subjective.

My swap has taken eons, but the main reason for this is I've completely gone for broke on this build. None of the following list of items were necessary to achieving AWD but are definitely what has contributed to exorbitant cost and time:
  • T.R.E. fully built EVO drivetrain (not even necessary, the Outlander would suffice) [just these builds alone cost more than what an Outlander AWD swap on a Lancer should and the process was a 7 month wait...]
  • complete engine build with expensive parts incl. a billet crank, some of the best parts [kiggly, gsc, wiseco, manley etc]
  • full-race EFR turbo system
  • expensive electronics - Defi gauges, Sparktech COP etc...
  • overkill fuel setup
  • caged the car
  • expensive wheels and tires
  • upgraded EVO suspension components
  • brembos w/ new rotors, pads, lines
  • race seats w/ harnesses
  • misc body upgrades ie: CF hood, CF trunk...

What people need to understand here is what I've done is so much more than convert a Lancer to AWD. I've built an EVO that most EVO owners wouldn't even build. I'm not saying Crankswick is coming to his determinations based on all the extra stuff I have done, but I'm sure the time and money spent as shown in my thread creates an impression that this isn't worth doing for most people.

If you are serious about the swap it can be done for the approximate costs below which are what I paid before deciding to utilize a myriad of expensive EVO parts instead of the Outlander components which are all that is actually required. Hell you don't even need to turbo the car, that has nothing to do with achieving AWD.

TOTAL COSTS:
* The swap is contingent on having a 4G69 2.4L engine to begin with. If you are going from a base model 4G94 Lancer, the engine is another cost to add.
  • Salvaged Outlander - $1,750 [transmission, axles, transfer case, rear subframe with rear diff, suspension axles etc]
  • Front EVO 9 suspension subframe + rack + sway bar - $350.00 + shipping
  • Labor, rear subframe fabrication - $800
  • Mechanical help (good friend), this becomes zero if you can do most yourself, could be more if you need to use a shop - $500
  • Driveshaft - does need to be custom as the Outlander one is longer, $800-1000

The aforementioned is essentially all you actually need to get a running AWD vehicle. You'd be looking at between $3500 to $4000 total.

These costs are based on my own experience. There's a possibility some of it could be cheaper, it could also be higher. It's all based on the deals you can find and how serviceable and resourceful you are. The Outlander isn't exactly a sought after car so it's relatively easy to save money in this regard. Decide you want to turbo and use EVO components? Well now you're entering an entirely different realm of cost and obstacles.

Here's my build thread that documents most of it: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...r-evo-9-a.html

I just don't want people to conflate my taking so long and using expensive parts as any sort of indication that the AWD swap is not worth entertaining and needs to cost lots and lots of money. Depends what you think is expensive. My car started as a $2,500 OZ Rally. What is AWD worth to you?
Old Jan 5, 2016, 02:52 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't actually know you did all that extra stuff...I actually haven't checked your thread in a long time...

$4k to me is expensive when you can buy the car for $4k...realistically you'd be hard pressed to find an Evo for $8k, but I would just buy a DSM or a subbie if AWD was that important to me...don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing, and I'm glad you're doing it, but I try to make people realize it's not as simple as bolting on an Evo rear end, and away you go...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't actually know you did all that extra stuff...I actually haven't checked your thread in a long time...
And it has been a very, very long time lol

$4k to me is expensive when you can buy the car for $4k...realistically you'd be hard pressed to find an Evo for $8k, but I would just buy a DSM or a subbie if AWD was that important to me...don't get me wrong, I love what you're doing, and I'm glad you're doing it, but I try to make people realize it's not as simple as bolting on an Evo rear end, and away you go...
Yep I wouldn't call it simple. There are AWD swaps with different platforms I hear (mostly trucks it seems) that are way easier.

What makes this swap interesting is that the Outlander components act as a sort of bridge between Lancer and Lancer EVO components. The Outlander subframe fits the Lancer, and the EVO diff fits the Outlander subframe. To swap the 4G63 EVO rear end is a tall order and even still requires Outlander trailing arms and hubs.

The multi-link set-up from the EVO makes an AWD swap using exclusively EVO parts (floor plan, subframe, mustache bar etc) significantly more difficult. The Outlander and Lancer are basically the same car, so as long as you cut out that 'welded crossmember' that the rear control arms bolt up to (when FWD), it kind of *can* "just bolt up" (we just chose to weld).

How is your engine rebuild? Find a block?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 03:56 AM
Evolved Member

oh yeah, she's back on the road...back down to 6psi for the winter...i'll step it up...I'd like to get back to 12-14psi and leave it there...18 was too much apparently.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 08:18 AM
Evolved Member

I'm always amazed at the incredibly daunting projects that you guys, and many others in this RA community, take on and finish. Stunning efforts all 'round.

Hey 2006_RA, what AWD stuff do you have going on?
Old Jan 8, 2016, 05:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
@RalliartN, nothing like that for me, I dont rate AWD much on a car that handles well .
Old Sep 4, 2019, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Excited about this!

Originally Posted by Diavlo
Also, the Outlander shop manual I have confirms that there WAS a 5-speed manual transmission 2.4 All Wheel Drive Model:

From what I can tell it looks like the outlanders tranny is very similar to the Evo one, which the Evo manual says is almost identical to F5M42, the lancer tranny. - The evos tranny is W5M51. The outlander 5-speed manual is W5M42. Difference is in the center diff, to do different things.

2005 Outlander LS AWD 4 Door AWD 2.4L I4 23 $20,449 W5M52 AWD 5-Speed Manual Transmission w/ Center Differential

The advatage of the Outlander system is it has the ability to shut off the rear transfer - which would be great!

So perhaps I will use the Outlanders transmission at least as I'd prefer the ability to select FWD only over what the Evo does.
This is exactly what I want to do. Got a 2003 lancer ralliart. Wanting to do AWD conversion with an Outlander. Would love to talk to you more about this process.
Old Sep 5, 2019, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drew Malhmood
This is exactly what I want to do. Got a 2003 lancer ralliart. Wanting to do AWD conversion with an Outlander. Would love to talk to you more about this process.
I basically did this but ended up selling my car to somebody else who will finish it. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/pr...r-evo-9-a.html
Old Mar 18, 2020, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=Ralliart_on_LSD;4184784]i knew i was gonna hear somebody say go buy an evo. go buy a life.

I think you can from what I've been gathering for my 04 RA I believe we can throw the evo awd system in the ralliart as well as the evo engine and keep the transmission. This is just a theory I have. I have yet to put it to the test but on paper it looks damn good with of course some modifications but not a ton of modifications. Again these are just theories so dont burn me at the post 😂😂
Old Mar 18, 2020, 05:51 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 704 Likes on 592 Posts
[QUOTE=Fred Evans;11903242]
Originally Posted by Ralliart_on_LSD
i knew i was gonna hear somebody say go buy an evo. go buy a life.

I think you can from what I've been gathering for my 04 RA I believe we can throw the evo awd system in the ralliart as well as the evo engine and keep the transmission. This is just a theory I have. I have yet to put it to the test but on paper it looks damn good with of course some modifications but not a ton of modifications. Again these are just theories so dont burn me at the post 😂😂
The Evo transmission is part of the awd system