Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2010, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch problem

So i had the rrm lightened flywheel and act stage 1 clutch and blew up two master cylinders both around when it started getting cold each winter, the dealership is saying the clutch had to much pressure which im assuming is correct, is there anyway to run this set up with out going through master cylinders? It looks like the car is going back to stock flywheel and clutch as the stock clutch doesnt fit on the flywheel
Old Feb 5, 2010, 05:26 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See here
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...f-problem.html
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:30 PM

it would be nice if this is what it was ill have to ask them where it was leaking when i go to the dealer tomorrow, they said the seals in the master cylinder were blown what ever that means so we will see
Old Feb 5, 2010, 08:54 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Im on my 3rd one man. I have been reduced to fixing them myself.
It likes to leak around the left side where the plate attaches.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

I had the same problem with my car too.

but I have a solution guys. I drive a 05 lancer ra and with a clutch upgrade and a lw flywheel too and I went through two master cylinders with the problem being in the same area.(around the square plate).

So I did a little looking around and bought a Mitsubishi lancer Evo 8 clutch master cylinder for a 05 evo. its the same exact thing but without the square plate. when i got it home i was kinda worried about it not fitting or being to short but it worked out great. Its been over a year now and I havent had to change the CMC.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RallliartEVO6
I had the same problem with my car too.

but I have a solution guys. I drive a 05 lancer ra and with a clutch upgrade and a lw flywheel too and I went through two master cylinders with the problem being in the same area.(around the square plate).

So I did a little looking around and bought a Mitsubishi lancer Evo 8 clutch master cylinder for a 05 evo. its the same exact thing but without the square plate. when i got it home i was kinda worried about it not fitting or being to short but it worked out great. Its been over a year now and I havent had to change the CMC.
Has anyone besides this guy done this?
Old Jul 4, 2010, 04:21 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Ralliartize It
Has anyone besides this guy done this?
I would like to know as well. I have a new upgraded lower line coming in and if that doesnt fix my problem then im going to try this.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 05:57 AM
Evolved Member

GDS,

I may just go ahead and try this. There's also a company named Brute Power/perfection clutch that make a CMC for our cars that I think doesn't come with the phucking plate on it!!!! That CMC is built for the Evo as well!!! So it seems there's some truth to this after all.

http://www.perfectionclutch.com/applookup-redirect.html
Part number 350193

Last edited by Ralliartize It; Jul 5, 2010 at 06:36 AM.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 11:36 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

GDS,

I may just go ahead and try this. There's also a company named Brute Power/perfection clutch that make a CMC for our cars that I think doesn't come with the phucking plate on it!!!! That CMC is built for the Evo as well!!! So it seems there's some truth to this after all.

http://www.perfectionclutch.com/applookup-redirect.html
Part number 350193
What clutch are you running? I have isolated the actual part that is failing in the MC. Its not the gasket or the plate. When you take the plate off there is a circular plate that has a rubber O ring underneath it. For whatever reason the huge amounts of pressure created in the little reservoir is pushing that O ring around the tiny space around that circular plate. When that O ring gets chewed up by this fluid starts passing by it.

I was always thinking it was the gasket failing. This time around i took the gasket out and flipped the O ring around so that the good side is facing up. I have yet to get a leak but i know the same thing is happening behind there.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

My set up is Fidanza lightweight flywheel and Act Stage 2. I replaced my MC about 6 months ago, so roughly 3K miles for me, and this time around I plan to be proactive. You have to think that even if you flipped that o-ring there's still pressure getting by it. That may be ok with a stock clutch but I not so much with a heavy duty pressure plate.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

not looking forward to this happening to me..hopefully it wont. good luck straightening out the problem
Old Jul 5, 2010, 02:04 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

My set up is Fidanza lightweight flywheel and Act Stage 2. I replaced my MC about 6 months ago, so roughly 3K miles for me, and this time around I plan to be proactive. You have to think that even if you flipped that o-ring there's still pressure getting by it. That may be ok with a stock clutch but I not so much with a heavy duty pressure plate.
I was running an ACT stage 3 before. I am now running a ACT stage 1. Im beginning to wonder if its these stupid ACT clutches. Its possible that the pressure plate they give you is just to much for the stock system. If you take apart the MC you will see what i am talking about concerning the O ring/gasket. Its a flat peice of rubber an the corners push around the metal disk tearing it up. Once this happens the seal around is gone. When i flipped mine i got the seal back but i know the corners are pinching around that disk again an when the rubber on the other side tears up i will have a leak again.
Originally Posted by milford
not looking forward to this happening to me..hopefully it wont. good luck straightening out the problem
Its not a real common thing. Imo just stay away from ACT clutches.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Now that I'm thinking about this level headed I have to think ACT uses this same strength specific pressure plate on other cars with no problems. Just that our CMC is absolute trash. I'm going to think start small before I rip the tranny out and repalce the clutch.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 03:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Unfortunately other guys i talk to have different clutches with no issues...
Old Jul 5, 2010, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GearDownSon
Unfortunately other guys i talk to have different clutches with no issues...
Prior owner of my car, also a forum member had two CMCs fail and he was running Works stage 2. It just seems like random failure.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem