Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

2004 Auto to manual tranny swap worth it?

Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Auto to manual tranny swap worth it?

I was wondering if doing to swap was worth it. I would like to have a manual set-up without having to buy a new car. Also, are there any other trannys besides the stock one that came with manual version?
Old Sep 22, 2011, 02:12 PM
Evolving Member

You need alot more than just a transmission to make it a manual. You need the whole setup such as clutch, hydraulics, pedal, and shifter console mount.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, not really worth the time or money. This has been discussed before.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you have the time and ability to research and gather the parts and a means of getting the work done then go for it.
The world needs less automatic cars.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 12:18 PM
Evolved Member

lol, George, always an optimist...sure it's possible, but it will take time, and if it's your daily driver, i wouldn't recommend it.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

i agree with CrAnSwIcK, I also have an auto and was looking into changing it to a manual, found out that it wouls cost me just under $2,000 to do it, i wasnt looking into spending that kind of money on my baby, plus she's my daily driver, dont want to risk her breaking down
Old Sep 24, 2011, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't get away from this idea myself. Selling my car and finding a stick car isn't an option; for one thing it's a sportback.

Besides the cost involved, one of the issues that puts me off when I think of the swap is the low final drive gear ratio in the stick cars. I can turn 2600 rpm at 65 mph.

I understand the 5 speeds are approaching 3500 rpm at that speed.

Now if there was a 6 speed conversion from an Eclipse...
Old Sep 25, 2011, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by floating doc
I can't get away from this idea myself. Selling my car and finding a stick car isn't an option; for one thing it's a sportback.

Besides the cost involved, one of the issues that puts me off when I think of the swap is the low final drive gear ratio in the stick cars. I can turn 2600 rpm at 65 mph.

I've been thinking a lot about transmission mods...like sure the LSD is beyond words, but gear mods is a whole new story...i like the way you think, and i hate my 5th gear.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 07:07 AM
Evolving Member

I've had my ralliart for ~21 months, and I still love how well it pulls at 1100 rpm. It will accelerate uphill from that speed without downshifting. At the same spot, my 95 accord wagon with the f22 was totally unable to gain even one mph without shifting.

It doesn't make sense how the engineers selected the manual transmission gearing for these cars. With the long stroke of the 4g69 engine, it doesn't need to be run at high rpm. The engine is optimized for for low rpm torque.

Now that I read over my post, I suspect that I shouldn't be blaming the engineers. I'll bet that they had planned for a different transmission and got cut off due to money and/or time constraints from management. I just wish that there was an easy fix. A 6 speed swap would be awesome.

BTW, I'm also driving another accord now, and the lancer is mostly my wife's car. The accord has a manual transmission. I drove the lancer after the accord yesterday, and then told her that there was a problem with the clutch in the lancer: "it doesn't have one!"
Old Sep 29, 2011, 04:31 PM

just a dum question but here it gose can we use the 6-speed tranny from the eclipse on the ralliart?
Old Sep 29, 2011, 05:07 PM
Evolved Member

which eclipse? A transmission is a transmission...if you can bolt it to the motor, and make the clutch/flywheel spin the gears, then voila. magic right? It's a matter of ensuring the shift linkages (cables) are bang on, and you would need a 6 speed shifter as well, drive axles need to fit etc...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Sep 29, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2011, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
which eclipse? A transmission is a transmission...if you can bolt it to the motor, and make the clutch/flywheel spin the gears, then voila. magic right? It's a matter of ensuring the shift linkages (cables) are bang on, and you would need a 6 speed shifter as well, drive axles need to fit etc...
Well, sure; it SOUNDS easy. This would probably be me if I tried it----->

You go first!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

which eclipse has a 6-speed?
Old Oct 3, 2011, 04:26 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

The 6g75 has a 6 speed but the eclipse owners will be the first to admit it's not very strong. Alot of transmission failures have been reported from just regular use.
Old Oct 3, 2011, 06:06 AM
Evolved Member

We do 75mph at 3500rpm. At 65mph it would be 3000rpm, so only 400 more.

I've had my ralliart for ~21 months, and I still love how well it pulls at 1100 rpm. It will accelerate uphill from that speed without downshifting. At the same spot, my 95 accord wagon with the f22 was totally unable to gain even one mph without shifting.

It doesn't make sense how the engineers selected the manual transmission gearing for these cars. With the long stroke of the 4g69 engine, it doesn't need to be run at high rpm. The engine is optimized for for low rpm torque.

Now that I read over my post, I suspect that I shouldn't be blaming the engineers. I'll bet that they had planned for a different transmission and got cut off due to money and/or time constraints from management. I just wish that there was an easy fix. A 6 speed swap would be awesome.

BTW, I'm also driving another accord now, and the lancer is mostly my wife's car. The accord has a manual transmission. I drove the lancer after the accord yesterday, and then told her that there was a problem with the clutch in the lancer: "it doesn't have one!"

You just dont understand the Mitsubishi paradigm. Think half assed. It's what they do well. They wanted something to compete with the SER, the Si, the Impreza RS etc. But being Mitsubishi, rather than make anything new, they simply used some left over gearbox internals from previous offerings (Cyborgs, Evos who knows) I am unsure what they took the final drive from, but the gear ratios are common in the early Evos) So they needed something better than the 2.0L in the OZ Rally which was being criticised for being all show and no go, hey the 4G69 has 30 more bhp and some more torque, let's throw that in with a close ratio box.

Honestly though the low gearing is not that far fetched, it's the way hot hatches and sports sedans used to be. Think Astra GSI, Corolla FX GT, Clio 172, 306 GTI. All fabulous cars that never sold in North America. Mitsubishi just gave us a taste of what we miss out on over here and even though they had production cars with a front LSD already, FTO, Cyborg, earlier Evos, in their normal half assed way they decided hey, we can make it cheaper without one even though it would be fantastic with an LSD.

When I drove to Long Island though, I really appreciated the low gearing when I was effortlessly going up very steep parts of the highway, anytime I had to speed up I was leaving the other cars around me for dead. Truth be told, this gearing also lets us punch above our weight. ( read as most recently smoked a Legacy 3.6R )

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2004 Auto to manual tranny swap worth it?