Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Timing Belt Broke... Wasn't Due for another 28000 Km

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2013, 01:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Timing Belt Broke... Wasn't Due for another 28000 Km

Hi Everyone, long time no post.

Anyways, here's the story. I blew my engine in May 2011 with 188XXX Km on the engine, I got a used engine, changed a bunch of things including the Timing Belt with a Gates Timing Belt Kit.

On Thursday December 12, I was 2 minutes away from work and coasting to a stop when I heard a clunk then saw the oil pressure light come on and the engine died. I pushed the clutch in and coasted to the shoulder. I tried cranking it and heard there was no compression on the engine, so I suspected timing belt went. Called a tow truck, got it towed back home (it's a 50 minute commute), got it put in my garage, pulled the top timing cover, and saw indeed the timing belt was broken.

The odd thing is, that I wasn't due to change the timing belt for another 28000 Km based on a 96000 Km interval.

I pulled the belt off from the top, and it appears that besides being broken, the belt is still in good condition, no cracks or tears or other issues, and you can still read the labeling.

I'll be replacing the TB in the morning then perform a compression test to check if the valves are damaged.

Crankswick: How much did it cost to get the head redone? Also, you said your OEM belt had a steel backing? Mine appears to have a non-metallic backing.

Fingers crossed that the valves are okay. I am moving 1400 Km away on January 2nd so I really don't have any time to have the head rebuilt between now and then with the Holidays. Might have to buy another car.

Any comments with your experiences are appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails Timing Belt Broke... Wasn't Due for another 28000 Km-tb2.jpg   Timing Belt Broke... Wasn't Due for another 28000 Km-tb1.jpg   Timing Belt Broke... Wasn't Due for another 28000 Km-tb3.jpg  
Old Dec 14, 2013, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

Changed the belt. the valves are bad, Cyl 1 and 3 have 0 psi compression, 2 is at 180 psi, 4 is at 160 psi
Old Dec 15, 2013, 05:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Wow, sorry to see, and thank you very much for sharing this information.

Since it failed before the recommended replacement interval, you should send Gates your documentation and request total cost reimbursement for this disaster - they must stand behind their product as it should have an implied warranty for the belt replacement interval, since they are supposed to have designed the belt as a direct OEM competitor part. Let us know how they respond to your case!
Old Dec 15, 2013, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
improper tension can cause a failure like that...did you replace the auto tensioner when you did the belt? I don't remember if the oem belt uses steel but i never trust 3rd party timing components.

to have my head cleaned, decked, valves reseated and lapped was about $280 IIRC...all my valves were good though.

i would also like to hear what Gates has to say about it.
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any update on this? I am running a gates belt and going on 160k miles (next change at 180k) so I would look into replacing it sooner than later
Old Dec 20, 2013, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

any response from gates? They have long made high quality parts, so to have something like that fail the way it did, i would think either something was wrong with the belt or the install. did you do the work yourself or have a shop do it? I think it would be hard to warranty on a "consumable" but interested in hearing how they respond. Did you send them pics and or the belt back? did you go back to OEM?

I know how you feel having a car down suddenly, during the holidays, when moving. it sucks. hope you get it all sorted out. gl man
Old Feb 7, 2014, 07:23 AM

My timing belt just broke, didn't even hit 100K yet. Warning to others change it early. My car, 8 exhaust valves and 4 intake valves bent....

edit: I mean didn't reach 100k on the new belt, my car is at 210k now, changed it when it hit about 120K
Old Feb 7, 2014, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by QuanVN
My timing belt just broke, didn't even hit 100K yet. Warning to others change it early. My car, 8 exhaust valves and 4 intake valves bent....

edit: I mean didn't reach 100k on the new belt, my car is at 210k now, changed it when it hit about 120K

miles or km?
(im assuming km..)

i know the rec'd interval is 60kMI...(not 100% on what that is in km..but i think it's pretty close to 100km IIRC)
Old Feb 11, 2014, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by nekkidlad
miles or km?
(im assuming km..)

i know the rec'd interval is 60kMI...(not 100% on what that is in km..but i think it's pretty close to 100km IIRC)

Yea 100km is about 60miles
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

maybe it was just a defective belt...?
good enough to pass QC, but not good enough to handle the 60kmi?

im sure there's not much you can do to try and see what the belt's reason for snapping now tho...
if it lasted almost 60kmi im sure wherever you go for any kind of warranty issue they'll say sorry it's past it's warranty...and there's probably no way to test the belt no that its snapped...
unless you can get a hold of the mfg and see what they say...but likely will be the same answer..

hope all ends well and you can fix the RA...and make it better than before
Old Feb 12, 2014, 05:58 AM

I looks to me like the timing belt is really dirty, and the gear side looks very chewed up. Are you running open covers or live on a dirt road?

I've used a LOT of gates belts, in just about any import that has a belt vs a chain. Never seen one snap. I've dealt with peoples' who have jumped due to improper tensioning though. Either that belt was overtensioned or dirt is getting in there somehow.

To my best knowledge gates hydraulic adjusters are made by NTN, who also happens to be Mitsubishi's OEM supplier.
Old Feb 12, 2014, 09:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
I don't think dust would cause a failure... it's got to be a tension issue, or faulty product...
Old Feb 12, 2014, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
I don't think dust would cause a failure... it's got to be a tension issue, or faulty product...
+1..
my thought tho is more likely the faulty product...

there's really no way to point the blame at the tensioner or the belt tho..
so either one or both could have caused the snap...
and it's most likely not covered...

IMO if anything...they'd replace the belt and say "sorry warranty expired..but enjoy a free new belt on your engine with bent valves...for your troubles"
Old Feb 13, 2014, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
When I worked at a parts store we had a customer come in with a belt that had broken and to my knowledge gates would pay for any damage if you had proof that the parts that needed to be replaced were and paper work from a certified mechanic/ shop showing before and after mileage..
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

hope he has those..