Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

F4A4B Transmission Overhaul

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F4A4B Transmission Overhaul

Hey guys, im rebuilding my automatic in my 05 RA, I been going at it for a month now. and to no prevail I just cant seem to find the right clutches and steels that will fit this transmission of ours. the transmission looks identical to the f4a41, f4a42, and f4a51. the difference is the internals. I tried using the f4a51 clutches and steals and they don't work at all, they don't match the original clutches and steals at all. so im hoping the f4a41 or 42 transmission's clutches and steals will work. I consider this a learning experience for those who are planning on rebuilding their automatic can benefit from what I am learning about our transmission. so far what I have learned is the f4a51 and f4a42 seals will work with our auto's. the lock nut on the output shaft is hard to find and class mate of mine that owns 3 3000gt vr4's got my nut from 3sx.com with no problem and a new cap for the output shaft. so far that's all I got done and would like some help trying to figure out what will and wont work with this transmission.

again for reference; seal kit from the f4a41, f4a42, and f4a51 will fit our automatic transmission.

any comments and ideas or input from someone who has already done this is welcome and if you can give me part numbers.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
you need this:
http://mitsubishilinks.com/fsm/mmc-asa_usa.exe
Old Jul 8, 2014, 12:52 PM

Unhappy

thanks crans while its downloading im hoping this is exactly what im looking for its gunna take me like 12 minutes to download.
Old Jul 8, 2014, 01:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Have you tried the F4A42-2 rebuild kit from rock auto? Ive been thinking about rebuilding mine for a while now but havent had the time or money to do it yet. I'll be interested in seeing what all you learn! Thanks!
Old Jul 8, 2014, 01:09 PM

well I downloaded the file crans but it wont open. can you tell me what is on there?
Old Jul 8, 2014, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

it's Mitsubishi ASA...has the parts breakdown and part numbers for every single part of every Mitsubishi vehicle ever sold by MMNA (Mitsubishi motors north America). all models, all years, all trims (even broken down by USA (even different specs for California), Canadian, and Puerto rico and guam markets. It's current to the newest gen lancer and evo, and 4g eclipse, so at least up to 08. it's cool though cause it even has like 90's eclipse, mirage and Evo.

on that website, there's also CAPS, which is the same thing, but a little older...there are even versions of CAPS that have complete JDM catalogues.

it's an exe installer, installation instructions are built into the installer package.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Jul 8, 2014 at 01:41 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 10:26 PM

Ok everyone its done. the tranny is finished and its ready to go back into the car. after all my research, I have finally came to the conclusion that the f4a4b automatic transmission in our cars is the same as the f4a41 and f4a42 in the lancer es and gallants. the only difference between ours and those transmissions is the differential and transfer drive gear. everything else is the same. so if your rebuilding your automatic, the f4a41/f4a42 frictions and steels kit will work. and the seals for the f4a51, f4a41, and f4a42 will fit as well. i forgot to give the part numbers to ssp for our frictions and steels. i am hoping they will be willing to make performance frictions and steels for our transmission since they do it for sst ralliarts and evo's. whats the worst they can say is no? also if the mods here can sticky this it would benefit others reading this. i done all the leg work for everyone with crans's help as well. thanks crans for the link you gave it helped out a lot.
Old Jul 22, 2014, 06:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05LancerRA
Ok everyone its done. the tranny is finished and its ready to go back into the car. after all my research, I have finally came to the conclusion that the f4a4b automatic transmission in our cars is the same as the f4a41 and f4a42 in the lancer es and gallants. the only difference between ours and those transmissions is the differential and transfer drive gear. everything else is the same. so if your rebuilding your automatic, the f4a41/f4a42 frictions and steels kit will work. and the seals for the f4a51, f4a41, and f4a42 will fit as well. i forgot to give the part numbers to ssp for our frictions and steels. i am hoping they will be willing to make performance frictions and steels for our transmission since they do it for sst ralliarts and evo's. whats the worst they can say is no? also if the mods here can sticky this it would benefit others reading this. i done all the leg work for everyone with crans's help as well. thanks crans for the link you gave it helped out a lot.
ASA has been more useful to me than anything, I've rebuilt my manual transmission 3 times now, and finding to exact parts I need has been a breeze.