Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

05 lancer ralliart transmission problems

Old May 2, 2015, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 lancer ralliart transmission problems

I have a 2005 mitsubishi lancer ralliart 2.4l. I bought it at a dealer used at 128k miles. 6 months later(10k miles later) , I know have transmission problems.. 75% sure its the input shaft bearing, 25% possibly a throwout bearing. It's making the metal tapping sound most noticeable in 1st 2nd and 3rd, and gets louder with acceleration. sound goes away with the clutch is disengaged, sound comes back when in neutral or any gear with the clutch engaged..

Now few questions..

Doesn't a throwout bearing sound more like a squeal? and it is most likely my input shaft bearing?

sadly im outside of the powertrain warranty. I do work at the old crappy National Tire and Battery, so I could use a lift and a day off to get this back in order, but I've never done anything with transmissions before, I've always just done brakes, suspension, radiators, wheel bearings etc... is this simple enough to do possibly for myself? or should I take this baby somewhere? and should it be a mitsu dealer or a specialized tranny shop?

Sadly I do still only make like 9.50/hr and crazy labor bills would rape me and I've got a baby on the way etc. and trying to find a new place to live.. thankfully i'll be a piddly 16% comm mechanic in august and thatll help money wise a little, but i would think this should be dealt with very soon? what should be my next step?
I'm semi lost at what to do .. any help or advice would be very much appreciated
Old May 4, 2015, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
The input shaft bearing doesn't last long on these cars. Change the seal too, and since you're dropping the gearbox you could as well change the clutch and throw out bearing etc.
Search the forum since others have posted their experiences with this issue.

You can get the parts here at better than dealer prices:
http://oemmitsubishiparts.com/

Given that you work on cars for a living, you should be good to do this job. Is there a more experienced guy at work that may give you a hand or at least some pointers ?
Old May 4, 2015, 06:22 PM

thanks man I appreciate it. Since I'm not entirely sure what exactly is wrong without and I really don't feel like spending hours on labor to fix something that may not fix my problem. I currently have an appointment at a fairly good reputable honest "Specialized in Transmissions" shop. I figure since they do free diag, i'll let them do that. And hey if they don't charge too much i may as well have THEM do it.. That way if they **** something up they can fix it.. .. I do trust in my abilities of working on cars.. but transmissions are a slightly different ball game. This is the first car that I've felt this in tune with while driving.. I don't want to make a mistake and destroy the tranny. I'll let you know how this all plays out though... I do have a damn good mechanic at my shop whose been a master mechanic since 92.... I'm exploring all options to get my baby back to herself.

Here is one other thing.. My car always seemed slightly bogged down and loss of some power in 2nd gear before rpms were alot higher.. is this something that could be a relative problem?
Old May 6, 2015, 08:14 AM

322 views and only one response?
Old May 6, 2015, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
We hear you and feel your pain.

However, you are mechanically inclined and with the car right in front of you, it's still a weird vague problem you are describing, and even the mechanic you work with can't pin it down. So how could any of us forum guys correctly diagnose the problem long-distance?

So what could be offered as advice? Time for exploratory surgery, I'd say, but that's about it. Like 2006_RA offered, there is a lot of preventive maintenance to do if the tranny's out anyway, so dropping it is certainly not a waste of time.

Also, your questions have been addressed in previous posts. Lots of good reading, pics, and Cranswick videos awaiting your searches - they will help you formulate a decision. Good luck, and let us know what you find.
Old May 6, 2015, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
yeah, you need to get under the car and start shaking stuff, lol...
Old May 8, 2015, 10:36 AM

So.. news is is its my input shaft bearing.. and I guess when that was bad.. I ended with a chip on one of my drive gears.. have any idea where I can find any new gears? Or what my next stepbshould be?
Old May 8, 2015, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

so you have the transmission apart, what gear is damaged?

you can buy new gears from any dealership, you'll want to replace the set...if it's first gear you need to replace the input shaft...
Old May 8, 2015, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

And pictures.
Old May 8, 2015, 04:14 PM

2nd gear is the one thats damaged.. Thanks cranswick.. priced out the set of gears, and synchros.. and the input shaft bearing.. itd be just about 850 :/.. too bad I cant find these parts cheaper somewhere :/ lol..
Old May 8, 2015, 06:11 PM
Evolved Member

do you have a parts list? I pulled up an input shaft bearing, and input shaft (both 1st and 2nd are part of the shaft), 2nd gear synchro set (1st are 2nd are dual synchronized), second gear, and I got $530...pretty steep still considering, that's not even replacing all the shaft bearings, which would be a good idea...you may be better off sourcing a junkyard transmission...I got one for around $600. then you don't need to screw around rebuilding shafts, which requires a hydraulic press and a variety of pressing dies, and a good understanding of how a transmission works, you can just haul your old one out and slap the "new" one in...replace the clutch if needed while it's off. done.

If you want the VIN # to match, well then you just split the case, throw the original bell housing on, and glue it back together...if you don't care, then disregard the latter...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; May 8, 2015 at 06:17 PM.
Old May 9, 2015, 02:52 PM

yea.. the parts I got priced through mitsu dealer near me. Sadly I've tried looking around for a used tranny for it.. but theres nothing here in ohio :/
Old May 9, 2015, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

Check the site I gave you above.
Old May 10, 2015, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

South High Auto Wrecking in Columbus has one, but they don't have a price or mileage listed...
Old Aug 28, 2015, 02:50 PM

Mitsubishi lancer 2003 2nd gear grinding

i own a mitsubishi lancer 2003 and when i first got it the clutch was really loose it would go to the floor and come back up but really soft. I change the master cylinder by myself but still did not go all the way up so i paid a mechanic and he installed a brand new clutch on the car and i though it would be all fixed but now when try to go from 1st to 2nd gear i makes a grinding noise its less when it is on low rev but it still makes it. It only makes it when i go from one to secong gear. Can someone please give me an opinion on what could be wrong with it or even tell me what can i do to fix it i would appreciate that cause that the only ride i have.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 lancer ralliart transmission problems