Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Shifter hard to move

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2015, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shifter hard to move

Since I got the car, some 5-6 years ago, my shifter has been hard to move from left to right. I always assumed it was a cable and finally got to changing them earlier today. That took me 6 hours, I took half the car apart because everything was in the way.

Well I did this all for nothing as the cables I took out were perfectly fine. It's actually the transmission gear selector that is hard to move, only for the left and right shifting motion, the other lever is fine.

What are your thoughts on this guys?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 01:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
pretty sure I either made a thread, or posted it in some detail somewhere, but it's mentioned in my transmission disassembly how-to

there's a black cap (or should be) on the hinge, you pop both those off, don't lose any washers, the split washer for the nut is important, clean up the plastic bushings (should be white and/or blue), and the metal parts that touch the bushings, then lube them up really good and reassemble...the nut should be tight-ish, but the hinge should move freely with little effort...the hinge may feel sloppy if the bushings are really worn. you may consider buying new ones.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 07:55 AM
Evolving Member

I should have messaged you directly, I knew you'd be the one with a solid answer..

I took a look at your threads but didn't find any info regarding this matter, is it part of one of your videos?

Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by xmaster19
I should have messaged you directly, I knew you'd be the one with a solid answer..

I took a look at your threads but didn't find any info regarding this matter, is it part of one of your videos?

Thanks.
yep! pretty sure I mentioned it in the video briefly, there's no how-to...but you know, I could do one up pretty quick, since I have 2 transmissions worth of parts, lol

here's the thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...nsmission.html

EDIT: just re-watched my video, fast forward to about 8:30 to see that hinge. also, make sure the cable end bushings are moving freely as well.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 4, 2015 at 09:44 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:45 AM
Evolving Member

I went ahead and took it off for disassembly, I couldnt move it by hand.... It was frozen in rust. I took it apart, cleaned it with wd40 and a wire brush, greased the hell out of it with a good lithium complex grease then reassembled it. Pretty straight forward. Now my shifter comes back to the center on its own, a thing it never did in 6 years of ownership!

Now I keep missing third but that's another issue... :P
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

could be the synchro

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 5, 2015 at 07:48 AM.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
could be the synchro
Hahahaha no, I'm the broken part now :P . I have to teach my brain to let the shifter come back to the middle on it's own instead of having to force it to reach 3rd. I keep forgetting and going past...

Old Aug 5, 2015, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

On another note, what seems to be the weak point of our trans and why is it failing?

I'm debating keeping the car as a weekend warrior but power is definitely lacking and a custom turbo kit seems to be the way to go. I always thought our trans were basically bulletproof as mine shows almost no sign of wear after 212 000 kms and the Evo parts and such... Much stronger than any Mazda's I've owned nonetheless.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Input shaft bearing is the weak point, the one closer to the bellhousing.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 11:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Input shaft bearing is the weak point, the one closer to the bellhousing.
truth...although I haven't really experienced any failures, cause I've replaced my tranny bearing at least 3 times in the last 4 years. I've only noticed minimal wear to the gears themselves, and synchronizer dog gears. pretty sure I'm pushing close to 280whp, I really have no idea. tranny doesn't seem to mind it too much...I've sheared the rear roll stopper bracket twice though, and subsequently massacred the mount bushing. my first overhaul was when I installed my LSD...which was around 162,000km iirc, so I've never had a tranny bearing go on me... I change my tranny oil like every two year too...

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Aug 5, 2015 at 11:23 PM.
Old Jan 2, 2016, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by xmaster19
Since I got the car, some 5-6 years ago, my shifter has been hard to move from left to right. I always assumed it was a cable and finally got to changing them earlier today. That took me 6 hours, I took half the car apart because everything was in the way.

Well I did this all for nothing as the cables I took out were perfectly fine. It's actually the transmission gear selector that is hard to move, only for the left and right shifting motion, the other lever is fine.

What are your thoughts on this guys?
Hello my shifter is tough to move also I'm told the last guy put the wrong tranny oil in ????? Anyway I'm soon to add Lucas transmission oil additive it costs here around $15 a bottle I will let you know if there's any improvement - Ben
Old Jan 3, 2016, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Benholding
Hello my shifter is tough to move also I'm told the last guy put the wrong tranny oil in ????? Anyway I'm soon to add Lucas transmission oil additive it costs here around $15 a bottle I will let you know if there's any improvement - Ben

it's your shift control lever, as I mentioned above...the best manual transmission oil I've used over the years is by far redline oil...I use two parts MTL 75W80, and one part MT-90 75W90. depending on the climate you live in you may want to use a lighter oil...also what kind of oil is in there? if it's corrosive to brass, you need to change it right away, lucas additive won't do anything to help you.