Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Cranking but wont start, and no Spark please help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2016, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranking but wont start, and no Spark please help

Hi guys,

I have bought an 2004 Lancer RalliArt off a guy for $800. I have been reading these forums for a week now and have done everything to try and fix my car. Changed the Fuel pump, crankshaft positioning sensor, and I have changed all the belts. I checked the timing on the timing belt and made sure it was 100% lined up. the fuel pump is working as well. I tried starting it up and still nothing... I pulled the coil packs and there was no spark at all so I am now frustrated. I bought new coil packs and they will be here later today but was hoping someone might know of something I missed.

All I know about the car is that the guy started it up and while driving it shut off. The car cranks fine but wont start at all.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First and foremost, it's going to be said and since I'm here, I might as well say it to get it over with..did you get a check engine light? If so, what are the codes it's spitting out?

I have a feeling the guy purposely left out some information about the car :\
Old Jun 14, 2016, 02:55 PM

The service engine light has yet to even come on so I didn't think to check the codes.

I know the guy and I will admit he isn't the best on the service of the car but it has always run well.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 03:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by holidayZ
The service engine light has yet to even come on so I didn't think to check the codes.

I know the guy and I will admit he isn't the best on the service of the car but it has always run well.
How many miles are on the car? I ask because the light for my service engine indicator gave out..so I would never know if there is a code being thrown. I have to check it regularly to be on the safe side. I have a 2004 with just under 200k miles on it.

Hopefully it's just the coil packs as you already mentioned that they had no spark. Did you pull and check the fuses to see if any were blown?
Old Jun 14, 2016, 03:23 PM

It has 136K, I do not have a ODB code tool either so this will suck.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 04:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
if you have an android or iOS phone, get the torque app, and get yourself an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter on ebay...you checked that the timing belt turns when cranking? also the camshaft angle sensor provides an input to the ECU for ignition timing as well...
Old Jun 14, 2016, 05:04 PM

The coil packs didn't work, the auto shop down the road let me use their ODB reader and it came up Crankshaft position sensor. So I guess tomorrow I need to rip everything apart and see what's up.
Anyone have any suggestions on what I could have done wrong and how to erect this problem? I really want to drive this car and take a break from big a$$ V8 truck.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
if you have an android or iOS phone, get the torque app, and get yourself an ELM 327 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter on ebay...you checked that the timing belt turns when cranking? also the camshaft angle sensor provides an input to the ECU for ignition timing as well...
Thanks for the info I'll look into getting that. I did not check the that the belt turned but I will check it tomorrow. Along with recheck of all the fuses.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 05:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by holidayZ
Thanks for the info I'll look into getting that. I did not check the that the belt turned but I will check it tomorrow. Along with recheck of all the fuses.
if you can connect to the ECU it should have power...the crankshaft sensor could be good to go, but the sensing blade could be damaged, or the the wiring/connector could be loose or damaged..
Old Jun 15, 2016, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
like Crans said, check the sensing plate/blade, double check your sensor and its wiring. Also what was the actual code on the error the engine is throwing? I have seen cases where the generic response from a reader is a little different from what mitsu actually points at.

But it does sound like a crank position sensor error. Had this happen after putting my evo back together.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by bakuro117
like Crans said, check the sensing plate/blade, double check your sensor and its wiring. Also what was the actual code on the error the engine is throwing? I have seen cases where the generic response from a reader is a little different from what mitsu actually points at.

But it does sound like a crank position sensor error. Had this happen after putting my evo back together.
I do nit know the code it is throwing, the one time the reader worked it only said crankshaft sensor something. Then it auto cleared and shut off. I was annoyed. How do I check the wiring? I was a mechanic but electrical has always been my weak point. I have a mutlimeter ready just need guiding.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 09:13 AM

Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:32 PM

I took everything apart, checked the timing 3 times, put everything back together 100%. Went to crank it and got 2 pops then right back to all crank no motor.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:45 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Sounds like the cam triggers are out of whack.
Also, be sure the CAS is plugged into the harness.
Old Jun 15, 2016, 12:52 PM

This sounds like a headache now. Everything is pulled up all the way. Could the cam sensor be the problem?

Quick Reply: Cranking but wont start, and no Spark please help