Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

4g93 GDI-Turbo issues?

Old Dec 14, 2016, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4g93 GDI-Turbo issues?

Hi

I am thinking of swapping a 4g93 GDI-Turbo into my 2005 Lancer CS3A m/t

I understand mechanically this will be a relatively easy swap because it will bolt up to my gearbox which is a F5M41. My current engine is a 4g18

The 4g93 GDI-Turbo appears to be a easy enough engine to find in my location (Thailand) and I have seen a few shops that have JDM engines in stock from halfcuts imported from Japan and done swaps on this engine, but my Thai is limited so I want to do my homework first.

My questions are, I have seen comments on various forums that the GDI-Turbo is not a good engine and I would like to know why?

Is it just that because it is hard to mod this engine to produce more power or are there underlying reliability issues?

I not looking to get much more power than stock out of the engine, it is about 160BHP and also has good torque, a little more power would be nice but it is a good increase over my stock 4g18, and I am not looking to make a drag car or racing car, just more fun for every day driving so keeping it standard would be fine, but I do need to keep it reliable as it is my only car.

The best petrol I can get here is 95, would this run OK on 95 octane fuel?

any other feedback on things to be aware about on a 4g93 GDI turbo, both for the swap and general use would be very welcome.

My other option is to boost my existing 4g18.

Many thanks for any feedback

cheers
Old Dec 16, 2016, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
The 4g93 gdi turbo was never available in north America, so not too many people here will know too much about it...I personally do not know of any issues with reliability, but my best guess would be that an engine that is designed to be turbocharged would be more reliable than turbocharging a motor that was not designed to be turbocharged. In the instances that you've heard they were unreliable, were any specific reasons given?
The following users liked this post:
jay1980 (Dec 17, 2016)
Old Dec 17, 2016, 02:29 AM

Thanks for your reply, yes it is a JDM engine but a few have made there way to Australia, and other countries in Asia, was not sure if anyone on this forum may know.

This is how the 4g93 GDI Turbo looks:

I have read that the head is 'weak' and the way the GDI system works it is hard to tune. If I do a swap, I would not need a big extra power increase so it might be fine for my needs if it is reliable with only gentle aftermarket tuning.

The 4g18 I have been told can be boosted safely to 0.6 bar keeping reliability on stock internals:

this is how a typical 4g18 with turbo installed in a local shop looks.

I was also talking to a local shop out here and he showed me this car, a Lancer CS3A like mine with a MIVEC 4G92 installed, this is a normally aspirated 1.6 engine but it makes very good horse power. (170bhp) but all at higher rev's and less torque than a turbo, It is a very neat looking swap in the pic I got:

and the advantage would be keeping the engine bay simple with no extra plumbing for the turbo, inter-cooler etc. disadvantage I guess lack of torque compared to a turbo charged motor. Do you have any knowledge about the 4g92 Mivec ?

one alternative would be a 4g63 or 4g69, but it would be hard for find a manual FWD gearbox to suit these engines, I understand a F5M42 would be required but my car has an F5M41 box which I understand will not fit a 4g6x engine?

This is why I am focusing on a solution where I could retain my existing F5M41 gearbox.

I could find a W5M41 that would fit but I don't want to go 4 wheel drive, could this gearbox be used as only FWD without changing too much of the running gear, drive shafts, wheel hub's etc?

Many thanks for any feedback.
Attached Thumbnails 4g93 GDI-Turbo issues?-img_0123.jpg   4g93 GDI-Turbo issues?-15555847_714640042051081_2111528652_n.jpg  
Old Dec 17, 2016, 01:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
GDI runs very lean mixtures in load load situations to improve fuel economy. there are a lot of options...What gearboxes are they using on the 4g93 and 4g92? Because here in north America, there are two variations of f5m42 that mate to the 2.0L SOHC 4g94, which should be the same bolt pattern as any 4g9 block.

are you certain your transmission will bolt up to a 4g9 block? we don't have 4g18's here, or at least they are very uncommon...I've never seen one, though I have seen normally aspirated 1.8L 4g63's...
jay1980 (Dec 18, 2016)
Old Dec 18, 2016, 04:25 AM

Hi, firstly thanks for your continued interest, appreciated

I am not 100% sure my manual gearbox would bolt up with no mods to any 4g9x , slighty confused about what fits with what TBH.

I have read this while trying looking into the possibility of sourcing a F5M42 box:

'Transmission for Mitsubishi F5M42 gearbox

Transmission gearbox(F5M42) is one horizontal manual car transmission, which is manufactured based on Japanese Mitsubishi technology.

Matching Engine: 4G63/4G64/4G69/4G94'

from here:
https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...674441522.html

suggests a 4g94 fits with a F5M42 box only, but I have never seen a 4g94 in Thailand anyway. (and it seems a F5M42 is pretty hard to find here also)

Most of the used engines I see originally had auto boxes fitted (apart from the ones from EVO's), the second hand engines come as 'halfcuts' from Japan and Singapore were cars get scrapped way before they have reached the end of their life because of tax reasons. If I wanted to go auto it would be easier but I am not a big fan of driving an auto, really want to stay Manual.

I have a PDF about gearbox compatibility that has some 4g9x's as originally coming with F5M42 and some with F5M41, it is from 2001 and my car is 2005 but I guess it should not matter too much. Here is a screen shot of that page:

A guy on a Malaysian forum did say a 4G93 GDI turbo would fit my box but I don't see anything to back it up. They do know a lot about some Mitsubishi engines there because they all drive Protons, and many Protons are built using Mitsubishi drive train technology under licence.

When I talk to shops in Thailand, they all say 'no problem', but they say that to everything you ask, maybe the problem will come later half way through the job.

That said the shop's are very clever at making stuff work here, have seen some amazing swap's.

BTW do you know anything about the 4G92 MIVEC? the power seems amazing for a normally aspirated 1.6 engine!

cheers
Old Jan 27, 2017, 02:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi, the 4G93T-GDI would smoke later on if you use 95octane and less, they are meant to run 98+ octane. The Engines themselves aren't meant to have left Japan. I have got the same engine myself.

the 4G92 is Mitsubishi's version of Honda's vTec engines. Ive also had this same engine in the past
jay1980 (Jan 27, 2017)
Old Jan 27, 2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by H_o_B_o
Hi, the 4G93T-GDI would smoke later on if you use 95octane and less, they are meant to run 98+ octane. The Engines themselves aren't meant to have left Japan. I have got the same engine myself.

the 4G92 is Mitsubishi's version of Honda's vTec engines. Ive also had this same engine in the past

Hi, thanks for the reply

could you run it on e85? that is a higher octane fuel and easy to get here in Thailand, most of the main petrol stations here have it

When you say it will smoke, do you mean oil smoke because of valve seat deterioration

what gearbox do you use on your 4G93T-GDI ?

cheers
Old Apr 4, 2021, 10:55 PM

For anyone still reading, here is the answer.

Originally Posted by jay1980
Hi

I am thinking of swapping a 4g93 GDI-Turbo into my 2005 Lancer CS3A m/t

I understand mechanically this will be a relatively easy swap because it will bolt up to my gearbox which is a F5M41. My current engine is a 4g18

The 4g93 GDI-Turbo appears to be a easy enough engine to find in my location (Thailand) and I have seen a few shops that have JDM engines in stock from halfcuts imported from Japan and done swaps on this engine, but my Thai is limited so I want to do my homework first.

My questions are, I have seen comments on various forums that the GDI-Turbo is not a good engine and I would like to know why?

Is it just that because it is hard to mod this engine to produce more power or are there underlying reliability issues?

I not looking to get much more power than stock out of the engine, it is about 160BHP and also has good torque, a little more power would be nice but it is a good increase over my stock 4g18, and I am not looking to make a drag car or racing car, just more fun for every day driving so keeping it standard would be fine, but I do need to keep it reliable as it is my only car.

The best petrol I can get here is 95, would this run OK on 95 octane fuel?

any other feedback on things to be aware about on a 4g93 GDI turbo, both for the swap and general use would be very welcome.

My other option is to boost my existing 4g18.

Many thanks for any feedback

cheers

SO
This engine is good but for anyone not knowing much about these engines, GDI systems on this engine type (4g93) are slightly inherently flawed. What happens is Gasoline Direct Injection or GDI shoots fuel right into the cylinder and NOT past the valves first. So especially without an EGR delete, carbon and other nasties such as unburnt oil etc get recirculated back into the engine, and without fuel spraying onto the intake valves at all times, the valves can get gummy and gross if not maintained meticulously with seafoam or walnut blasted etc. With a turbo, of course this effect would increase alot faster. This can eventually lead to bad sealing in the valves or valves sticking too long etc which can OBVIOUSLY cause huge engine issues. BOTTOM LINE IF YOU DO THIS BUILD IS EGR DELETE!!!! also, clean your intake valves frequently, or you will not have a good time.
hope this helps!

-Nate
Pajero IO 1993 LRXC1 4G93 1.8L GDI