Notices
04-06 Ralliart Engine/Drivetrain (no forced induction)

Idler pulley question?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 09:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idler pulley question?

Hey guys!

Its been raining here a lot in California and recently the car has started a belt squeal noise when it's cold in the morning.

I recently replaced the belt, currently running a road\\race UDP on the crank. I put it up and jacks thinking it was the power steering pump.( which it wasn't). I sprayed some grease on the upper idler pulley and auto tensioner and the sound is gone and cleaned the area up.

I can find the auto tensioner on rock auto but can't locate the upper idler pulley( it's right below the upper motor mount) on the site.

Any suggestions on where to find that idler pulley?
Old Feb 20, 2017, 07:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by Lancerfry30
Hey guys!

Its been raining here a lot in California and recently the car has started a belt squeal noise when it's cold in the morning.

I recently replaced the belt, currently running a road\\race UDP on the crank. I put it up and jacks thinking it was the power steering pump.( which it wasn't). I sprayed some grease on the upper idler pulley and auto tensioner and the sound is gone and cleaned the area up.

I can find the auto tensioner on rock auto but can't locate the upper idler pulley( it's right below the upper motor mount) on the site.

Any suggestions on where to find that idler pulley?

that's your water pump
Old Feb 21, 2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
that's your water pump

weird. That's been replaced with the new motor. It was squealing again last night. Very on and off. Back to the drawing board and crawling around.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 09:24 PM
Evolved Member

replace tensioner w/pulley and belt (if they're old, seized, or worn), while the old belt is off, check to see if the idler or any pulleys (accessories) are seizing...they should all be pretty easy to turn by hand, except for the crankshaft, obviously. could just be the belt, you sure you have the correct length belt for the UDP? is there obvious damage or excessive wear on the belt? and if so, where?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
replace tensioner w/pulley and belt (if they're old, seized, or worn), while the old belt is off, check to see if the idler or any pulleys (accessories) are seizing...they should all be pretty easy to turn by hand, except for the crankshaft, obviously. could just be the belt, you sure you have the correct length belt for the UDP? is there obvious damage or excessive wear on the belt? and if so, where?
the belt was replaced with 6PK1840. Which i got at the local auto zone. No damage on the belt. im going to replace the auto tensioner by the weekend as a safety measure and get a new belt.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 07:34 AM

I just had a similar issue with my belt after UDP was installed. Below is the link to my post, maybe it can help.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...lt-issues.html
Old Feb 24, 2017, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Huetsimus
I just had a similar issue with my belt after UDP was installed. Below is the link to my post, maybe it can help.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...lt-issues.html
dumb me. After a week of dealing with a broken coil over on top of that. Forget to check the power steering fluid.. it was low. I added some Lucas power steering fluid and sound is gone.

on a side story. I had 2 gates belt shred on me. Timing belt went and sepretine belt all in one month. Which destroyed then engine. So I stay away from gates.

Last edited by Lancerfry30; Feb 24, 2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerfry30
Timing belt went and sepretine belt all in one month. Which destroyed then engine. So I stay away from gates.

This is becoming a trend...I've been telling people to use OEM timing belts for years...