Notices

The Official Ralliart NOOB Thread

Old Nov 20, 2004, 11:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Setup

Should I go full catback or axleback or just muffler?

Lots of people seem to think that a full catback is going to make more power, and it may, but this is not ENTIRELY true. You need SOME backpressure or else you lose power. But either way, with a full catback with bigger piping, you arent going to feel any NOTICEABLE power difference. I will keep it as simple as that. I have the RRM axleback and yes it is quite expensive, like most people have stated previously in other threads, just getting a bolt on muffler and welding it to the stock piping is probably the much cheaper way to go. However, from experience, those five dollar buttfart mufflers off of Ebay, STAY AWAY from them. I had one on a previous vehicle of mine and 3 months later it literally rusted away (you get what you pay for). Get a name brand muffler if you are going to go that route. Overall, whether you get a full catback, bolt on muffler or axleback setup, dont plan on any crazy power gains (on RALLIARTS at least) from our stock engines. If I could go back in time and just got a bolt on muffler and welded it to the stock piping, I would do it in a heartbeat. But the axleback from RRM is still a great product.
Old Nov 24, 2004, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Evo vs Ralliart part fitment

I have not seen too many of these posts about which parts are the same for each car, but I thought this would be a decent addition to the thread:

What parts will fit BOTH an Evo and a Ralliart?

To make it simple, im willing to bet that our interiors are pretty much identical to an Evo's layout. Except for such cosmetics as the Evo's Recaro seats, the and the MOMO steering wheel. The interior setup is about the only thing we have that is similar to our big brother the Evo 8. When it comes to exterior parts we are more limited. Observing other posts in the show and shine, you will see than an Evo 8 wing will also fit our cars, BUT plan on doing some drilling to get it to fit. The MR rear window thingamajigs (for lack of a better word) that go near the antenna will also fit our cars. So will the antenna If anybody else can think of some exterior mods that fit both the Ralliart and Evo please respond.

Stuff from an Evo that WILL NOT FIT a Ralliart.

Heres one I have a lot of people asking me and it has to be the dumbest question ive been asked, WILL EVO HEADLIGHTS FIT ON OUR CARS? The answer simply is NO. They are so different that its not even funny. Unless you did some major body work they will not fit. Another thing that wont fit is a hood for an Evo. Taillights, front bumpers, rear bumpers, pretty much 90 percent of the stuff off an Evo's exterior will not fit our cars. And one more big one, Evo wheels WILL NOT fit our cars either, they are too wide. As for engine mods, other than hyper ground wires maybe, nothing I know of that fits an Evo will fit an RA. They are totally different engines.

Please, anybody feel free to fill anything in that I may be mistaken on or something I forgot to include.
Old Nov 25, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
As for engine mods, other than hyper ground wires maybe, nothing I know of that fits an Evo will fit an RA. They are totally different engines.

Please, anybody feel free to fill anything in that I may be mistaken on or something I forgot to include.
One thing that I beleive is a match, is the shifter and related bushings. If I'm not mistaken, our shifter, base, and cables are right out of an Evo. Therefore, the shifter base bushings, cable end bushings, and after market short shifters are an exact match.

Please, correct me if I am wrong.
Old Dec 5, 2004, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Paint Codes

You can find your paint code by popping the hood, looking on the firewall behind the steering wheel on a little silver plate, but for the lazy person in all of us, here are some codes off the top of my head, anybody feel free to correct me if they feel these are not correct and if a paint code isnt on the list then list it for me

Diamond white pearl W13
Cool Silver Metallic A69
Lightning Yellow Y01
Phoenix Red P85
Labrador Black Pearl X42
Thunder Grey Metallic A02
Graphite Grey Pearl A39

Last edited by BLKRalliArt04; Jul 12, 2005 at 02:40 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Will an Evo 8 front end fit on an RA?

NO. You would have to do some major customization to get it to fit. The Evo is an entirely different car except for a few little things here and there. Common sense tells you , if you look at an evo's headlights and a ralliart's headlights, they are not even remotely similar. So there is no way an evo bumper will fit on an RA straight up with no modification.
Old Dec 12, 2004, 05:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BLKRalliArt04
NO. You would have to do some major customization to get it to fit. The Evo is an entirely different car except for a few little things here and there. Common sense tells you , if you look at an evo's headlights and a ralliart's headlights, they are not even remotely similar. So there is no way an evo bumper will fit on an RA straight up with no modification.
Just to elaborate on that a lil bit.. The Evo Bumper and Body in General is wider.. The Door lines are different and the trunk is nowhere near the same.. if you wanted to do the conversion it would take a TON of modifications or just replacing every body panel.The fenders on the Evo would stick out on the RA about a half an inch and the Front bumper like wise as well as the Rear bumper.. Just thought ya would wanna know before going thru with the following question of " well what if I modified it to fit?"... It wont happen or atleast not Cheaply..Just my .02 and insight as I have already thought about it and attempted to do it.It gets Expensive Believe that.
Old Dec 26, 2004, 01:48 PM
Evolved Member

Hyper Ground Wires

Lots of people are led to believe that these actually provide power. In a way they do yes, but as far as horsepower, very little if any is obtained. They basically, in a nutshell, have a tendency to smooth out idling mainly. A lot of times it varies on what kind of car they are put on. They make the most noticeable difference in older cars with crappy grounding points. After installing ground cables on my previous car, the only things I myself recognized were brighter headlights (nothing out of this world bright, but bright enough to notice a little), smoother idling as stated previously, and sound system a tad clearer. Other than that, they were a waste of money. And I bought them from the people who started the aftermarket trend, sun automobile or something like that, so you know they were good. I just dont want people to believe that you are going to recognize any "kick in the ***" horsepower that companies would like you to believe. Just the ones I listed, and if anybody has anything else to add, then by all means feel free to do so.
Old Jan 2, 2005, 08:17 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Here's the specifics on what wheels will fit - if any of these are incorrect, or if there are more to add, let me know and I'll edit this post. All these are based from what I learned reading the forums from other people's experience, and not my own experience.

15"-16" steelies
16x6 +46 (stock wheel)
16x7
16x7.5 +42
17x7
17x7.5 +42
18x7
18x7.5 +42

Stock tire is 205/50/16

On 7" wide wheels, offset can be anywhere from +40- +46, though +40 puts the wheel as far out as possible, and will probably look the best.

Last edited by otter; Feb 16, 2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2005, 07:00 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Injen CAI for MANUALS - RD1833
Injen CAI for AUTOS - RD1834

The CAI for autos is listed on PTuning's site, but not Injens, make what you will of this.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 04:18 PM
Evolved Member

What springs will fit my RA?

Progress and Tein are two companies that make lowering springs for our cars, if it fits an OZ it will fit an RA. If it is an ES/EVO they WILL NOT FIT without modification.

Last edited by BLKRalliArt04; May 18, 2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolving Member

Some generic Ralliart info:

ENGINE:
  • inline 4, iron block & aluminum head
  • MIVEC
  • SOHC 16valve
  • displacement 2378cc
  • bore/stroke 87.0mm x 100.0mm
  • compression ratio 9.5:1
  • hp 162@5750rpm
  • torque 162lb/ft@4000rpm
  • redline 6500rpm
  • reccommended fuel type: regular unleaded 87 octane
CHASSIS:
  • fwd unibody construction
  • curb weight (manual trans) 2880lbs
  • weight distribution front/rear: 60/40
  • length 180.5"
  • wheelbase 102.4"
  • track front/rear 57.9"/57.9"
  • front suspension: MacPherson struts, lower control arms, coil springs, tube shocks, 26mm anti-roll bar, 3-point strut tower brace
  • rear suspension: Multilink, coil spings, tube shocks, 13mm anti-roll bar
  • steering: rack and pinion with power assist
  • turning circle 37.4ft
BRAKES/WHEELS:
  • ABS with EBD
  • front 10.9" vented disc
  • rear 10.3" solid disc
  • single piston calipers
  • wheels 16"x6" cast aluminum, offset 46mm
  • tires 205/50R-16
TRANSMISSION (MANUAL STATS):
  • EVO VIII 5-speed
  • Gear Ratios: 1st/2nd/3rd/4th/5th: 3.58/1.95/1.38/1.03/0.82
  • Final drive ratio 4.04:1

Last edited by BlackLab; Jan 25, 2005 at 10:12 PM.
Old Feb 22, 2005, 11:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Otter has helped answer many of my questions and he also mentions in this thread that the AEM bypass valve WILL fit the injen CAI. The correct size bypass for the injen CAI is 2.75 inches. I can only assume it'd be the same for AEM but I havent actually checked :|
Old Feb 25, 2005, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

RRM Dowpipe

I have been seeing a fair share of threads about this so I thought I would answer some questions about it.

1) Is it legal?

No, removing your catalytic converter is simply illegal (at least on public roads). So dont plan on passing any (legal) inspections unless you weld on a cat converter.

2) Will it affect my emissions?

Yes, it removes your cat, so its obviously going to affect it.

3) What will it sound like?

From what many people have told me personally who own it said it sounds horrendous on stock muffler. Even with the RRM axleback it still sounds "raspy" and obnoxious. As far as power is concerned, I have heard so many different opinions that I cannot make an accurate conclusion.

4) Is RRM a good company to buy from?

YES
Old Feb 25, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

RRM DOWNPIPE & O2 SENSOR

Speaking of the downpipe, cat delete... Alot of people have been asking the question of how to avoid throwing CEL, I've yet to try this, but it seems to be working for most that do it!

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=119829
Old Feb 27, 2005, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Ebay Mufflers (Common sense stuff)

Lots of people who do not have much experience with Ebay get screwed when it comes to buying mufflers off ebay. For instance, say somebody is looking for an HKS muffler, they type in "HKS" and get about 100+ results. (This applies to other name brands such as Tanabe, Greddy, Borla etc) NOOB's at first glance see HKS on the title and immediately assume that it really is an HKS. Then they see prices like $8.88 to $44.95 and get hyped up thinking that they can get a reputable brand muffler for dirt cheap. THOSE MUFFLERS ARE NOT HKS REGARDLESS OF WHAT THE TITLE SAYS. First of all, most big companies do not make ONLY mufflers for cars (ie Greddy). Secondly, HKS would not sell their mufflers for that cheap considering their catback systems cost upwards of $500+. Third, If you are looking for a name brand muffler and get a hundred results back, look for the more expensive prices such as $150 and above and make sure in the description it says that they are genuine parts from that manafacturer. I have seen numerous people get screwed over thinking they got a name brand for such a cheap price, only to get it welded on and find out it sounds like a gutted CRX and rusts off within a month. Just thought I would share some knowledge of mine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Official Ralliart NOOB Thread