Notices

Temp control prpblem?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2005, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temp control prpblem?

On my 2004 RA the A/C temperature control does not turn smoothly. It's hard to turn about a third of the way going from cold to hot. Does anyone else have this problem? Isn't that dial supposed to be smooth and easy to turn?
Old Nov 11, 2005, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem. It's been like that since the day I bought it.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 07:31 AM
Evolved Member

-

Maybe you guys should take the A/C panel off and lube the A/C control cable... just use a silicon based lubricant though, conventional products might cause the cable to jam later on (this is just speculation, but better to be safe than sorry).

If you guys want, I can try to dig out the schematics for that part of the car...

-
Old Nov 11, 2005, 08:10 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
It's just a cheap mechanical cable control, it's never going to be completely smooth. Lubing the cable will make it a bit better.
Old Nov 11, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

-

I'm with otter on this one... it's never gonna be BMW smooth guys. These bike cable type of HVAC controls are no that great as far as smoothness goes. One of them even seized completely on my Prelude! I pried on it (it was a slider) 'till it finally just broke on me!!! You can imagine why I regretted not trying to lube it beforehand... and why I'm advising you guys to do so now.

-
Old Nov 11, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

I've had two lancers and both of them had this goin on... It's not that bad... It just freezes up a little between cold and hot... I'm used to it....
Old Nov 11, 2005, 05:04 PM
Evolved Member

I have the same problem. happened since day 1.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 02:03 AM

I spoke w/the mistsu. service guy and said he's seen that problem before. i have an appt. monday, i'll let everyone know how it comes out.
Old Nov 12, 2005, 06:07 AM

control

My OZ has this problem, it too will hit the shop in the near future. snowey1
Old Nov 12, 2005, 04:00 PM

I have the same problem. Look up under the dash and you can see that when you turn the dial it moves some plastic gear type things. There's a slot with a pin through it shaped like a J. It's when the pin makes that turn on the J that it sticks. Grease that up, should help.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Ive got you all beat, my eclipse hvac controls all seized up on me. It was colder than a welldigger's *** in the Klondike, and my temp control was stuck all the way on coldest. Too lazy to fix it, I just threw on 5 layers of jackets to keep from freezing to death when going from point A to point B. Two weeks later, the stupid fan speed control snapped. It was stuck on the second level. So wherever I went i had to deal with level two fan blowing the coldest air possible. And that went on for about a week before I took it in to get fixed. By then I was wearing a ski mask to keep from getting frostbite. I was driving around in a big bulky coat with a ski mask, looked like I was going to rob a bank.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

LMAO!

And that's just where you're at... imagine then that one of my friends was driving his '85 Renault 5 coming back home (in the north-west of Quebec) for the holidays one time, a day when it was -25 celsius (no idea how much farenheit this is) outside and the heater broke down. Not only did he literally froze his as$ off the whole trip (he actually had to put clothes between him and the seat!) but his breath would freeze on the winshield so his arms hached like crazy from scraping the windshield with his credit card the whole trip while driving... Of course, we laughed at him for months afterwards.

[EDIT: I found a conversion site... -25C is -13F]

-

Last edited by WoRkZ; Nov 17, 2005 at 10:13 AM.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

I didnt know a heater could break down, because alls it is is just heat coming from the engine.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

Oh yeah baby, you better believe a heater can break down!

I had the heater core in my '69 Mustang EXPLODE while I was driving on the freeway once, showering my friend's feet with hot water (lucky he was wearing his Doc Martens!) and filling the car with noxious radiator water/coolant steam.

It was an... experience.
Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Talking

-

Yeah, there's some kind of rad in there... hot liquid from the cooling system runs through it. It can get clogged or it can even leak (or explode it seems )...

Believe me, we people-of-the-north know all about heating or the lack thereof.

-

Quick Reply: Temp control prpblem?