Notices

my traded in car price at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my traded in car price at the dealer

i went to the dealer sat. to get the plates for the EVO and they had my RA in their used car lot for 13,995. they gave me 9,500 for it and claimed that it was smoking out the exhaust. hmmmmm. anyways the old car looked good, and i miss it alittle. the RA is a much better daily driver with better fuel economy. i'm happy with my purchase, and that RA was perfect, if somebody is looking for a good used, not beat on car, gillman in houston is where its at.

bone
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

^^^lmao now you know why they call them "STEALERSHIPS"
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

i got my 03 8 from gillman. who'd u deal with?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 05:20 PM

Never trade a car in. Dealers are looking for their best deal. They will give you less for your trade, but 'make a deal' with you on the price of your new car. It's all a scam. Unless you have a dealer that is willing to lay the shipping/invoice papers down for you on the new ride and you don't budge on your trade in value, then maybe it'll work out. Either way, they make money. So, I'm sorry to hear about your old ride, but happy you like the new. Enjoy!
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:20 PM

salesman

Originally Posted by purevibez
i got my 03 8 from gillman. who'd u deal with?
i dealt with a guy named sal. he was pretty good.

about the numbers, yes i know i could maybe get more selling myself, i just think its funny how they talked trash about my car now they are wanting top dollar for it. i only paid 16,500 for it.

bone
Old Jan 14, 2007, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that happened to me as well ... I got $7k for my VW on trade in and I think they sold it for around $10,500. The guys on the floor know that it's a rip-off, but the pricing policies are handed down from the top ... not much they can do about it.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GraphanaticIXSE
Never trade a car in. Dealers are looking for their best deal. They will give you less for your trade, but 'make a deal' with you on the price of your new car. It's all a scam. Unless you have a dealer that is willing to lay the shipping/invoice papers down for you on the new ride and you don't budge on your trade in value, then maybe it'll work out. Either way, they make money. So, I'm sorry to hear about your old ride, but happy you like the new. Enjoy!
That's like saying every retail business is a scam.
Like it or not, dealerships are still a business who are there to make money. I don't blame them at all for trying to maximize profit out of a sale..... however it's some of the sales practices that they use that I question.
Most of their money is made in service and used car sales. That is why you can negotiate a LOT more on used cars. Everyone just needs to be really prepared and do their homework before they go into a dealership looking for a car.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well, if it makes anyone feel any better I just traded in my 04 RA with just over 40K miles on it and I got $13,800 for it! Then on top of that I got $6500 in rebates and a 3.9% APR on my new truck. I was there all day dealing with them. I knew what I wanted and what I wanted it for, it will take awhile for them to meet your numbers but it's worth it in the end.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ralliart50
Well, if it makes anyone feel any better I just traded in my 04 RA with just over 40K miles on it and I got $13,800 for it! Then on top of that I got $6500 in rebates and a 3.9% APR on my new truck. I was there all day dealing with them. I knew what I wanted and what I wanted it for, it will take awhile for them to meet your numbers but it's worth it in the end.
Well thats good to know. I have an 04 RA with only 23k miles on it. And in good shape. If i was to trade it in i was gonna guess to not get much more than 10k. But hey, now i know there is hope.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:47 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Ralliart50
13,800 looks good on paper, but there is no way you got this in all reality.

The auctions are netting 7k-11k for 2004 Lancer's. I checked this with a buddy of mine that is in the business. This is throughout the midwest, it may be different in other parts of the US although I cannot believe it would differ that greatly.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GraphanaticIXSE
Never trade a car in. Dealers are looking for their best deal. They will give you less for your trade, but 'make a deal' with you on the price of your new car. It's all a scam.
Right. Car dealers shouldn't be allowed to make money to feed their families and participate in the American economy like everone else. Nor should they have to invest in safety inspections, service , and details for cars they trade in either to ge them ready for retail.

Manheim auction prices for '04 RA's is between 7700-10700. IF you are buying a new car (or truck), the dealer might can show you an articicially high trade allowance by using dealer cash to pump it up.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Right. Car dealers shouldn't be allowed to make money to feed their families and participate in the American economy like everone else. Nor should they have to invest in safety inspections, service , and details for cars they trade in either to ge them ready for retail.

Manheim auction prices for '04 RA's is between 7700-10700. IF you are buying a new car (or truck), the dealer might can show you an articicially high trade allowance by using dealer cash to pump it up.

VERY well put!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:02 AM
Evolved Member

This is really gonna **** ya off. It did me... I work for a Toyota dealership and they just got an 03' RR VIII traded in with an AMS IC, AMS turbo kit, etc and they bought it for 12k... This guy must have been really stupid too though...
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

^^^Not really^^^^

How many miles does it have? A modded car to a dealer is scary stuff. So its no wonder they hit it will back of rough book. IF the guy wanted out bad enough then that's the bottom line. A car is only worth what the next person is willing to pay for it. black books, websites, etc are tools not gospel.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GPTourer
Well, dealer cash or not, I got $13,800 for trade-in, plus $6,500 in rebates as long as I returned it completely to stock. So say my trade in was worth $10,300, that means that they dropped $10,000 off the vehicle's sticker price and still gave me the 3.9% mitsubishi financing. Either way, I won't complain considering what they tried to start at.

Quick Reply: my traded in car price at the dealer