Notices

K&N drop-in install question

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N drop-in install question

So I installed my K&N drop-in yesterday, and just want to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I opened the 2 clips on the airbox, pulled out the old, and in with the new. The only thing I noticed is that while the top of the airfilter fits in pretty good, the bottom doesn't tuck in, but I was able to put the 2 clips on, which sandwiches the whole thing together pretty tight. Does this sound right to you, or should the bottom tuck in also? Anyone have installed pics of this that you can share?
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds right to me. I found it was pretty hard to snap lid though. It was really tight. Can't say I noticed much difference in HP though. Just remember you have one when you take it to the dealer for maintenance and they don't charge you for a new air filter.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
From what I remember of it, the stock airbox was very tight at the bottom. I only changed the filter in it once before going to a CAI, but I remember having to wrestle with it a bit to get the bottom edge of the filter all the way down.

As long as the top edge of the filter looks like it's where it should be, the bottom should be, too.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Just so you guys know, the dealership will void you intake and MAF warranty for using a K&N or any other OILED air filter. They just did it to me. If you are worried about your warranty go with a dry filter.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CF-Ninja
Just so you guys know, the dealership will void you intake and MAF warranty for using a K&N or any other OILED air filter. They just did it to me. If you are worried about your warranty go with a dry filter.
If you are really worried about your warranty, take any aftermarket or non-genuine mitsubishi part off and put the OEM one you replaced it with back on before going to the dealership for warranty work. It is a full proof way of getting your car taken care under warranty even if you mod!
Old Jan 16, 2007, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

They are bs'ing you, check this out below...
www.knfilters.com/MAF/massairpledge.htm
Old Jan 16, 2007, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

I swear everytime you add an aftermarket product the dealer voids the warranty for the replacement part.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

1 more question. Does it matter whether the ridges in the filter are sideways or up and down? llll vs --- (kinda hard to draw but you know what I mean).
Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
As long as the filter physically fits either way, the orientation of the ridges doesn't matter. I think our filter is taller than it is wide, though, so the ridges probably go horizontally.
Old Jan 16, 2007, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

oops. thanks folks for all your responses.
Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

I asked my dealer about modding the car - they said I could pretty well do what I liked - but if that modification was the cause of a fault/damage there would be no warranty to the affected part/s.
But to void something that isn't damaged is wrong - sounds like they are a bunch of cheaters.
While it was a test on pod filters not panels - in the latest Autosalon mag out here, K&N came 1st for filtration out of 10 filters tried and 4th for airflow. So really dealers should be happy you are using a product like that as its protecting the engine better than the stock filter. Improves the odds that wont need to cost them money on warranty work in some cases.

Last edited by Ryan_VRX06; Jan 17, 2007 at 06:03 AM.