Notices

Might be time to trade in the Ralliart...for a Ralliart?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Might be time to trade in the Ralliart...for a Ralliart?

So the wife and I have been considering replacing the RA for something bigger, with an auto, leather, etc.

We drove a Gallant GTS a while ago and were not impressed with it. It was a nice looking car but the drive left us with something to be desired.

After shopping around, looking at Mazda 6, Passat(new and older), Fusion, Legacy, just about every midsize car besides Honda, and even some SUV's, we had pretty decided we like the Passat best.

It had the room we wanted, looked good, drove nice, good gas mileage...everything we pretty much wanted. Only problem, was dealing with VW dealerships, no one wanted to touch the Ralliart for a trade.

So yesterday we went to check out an '06 Passat was was listed on autotrader for a decent price, at the Southside VW dealer. The salesguy was pretty nice, seemed pretty helpful, and seemed like he wanted our business...untill he offered us $13,000 for our RA(about and month ago when I checked the book value it was $18000 according to the Cdn Black Book) and I laughed in face as I walked out. Now he claimed that they had called the mitsu dealer and that's what they had told him it was worth.

Now my wife, through her job, knows the Managers at that dealership pretty well so we went to ask them about it. When we got there the guy told us that trade-in was about $17000, which seemed pretty much on par with what I had found before.

After noticing the Gallant Ralliart in the showroom we noticed how it looked a little better then the GTS we had previously looked at, and decided to find out if it drove any better.

We went for the standard test drive around the block, liked the way handled and decided to check out some numbers. After sitting there for most of the afternoon, and taking a second test drive (this time without the salesguy and much longer) we decided we liked the car enough to buy.

In the end we got them to give us $19 for the lancer, and are waiting until Monday to make sure everything is good to go.

So, why doesn't this site have a Galant section??

And btw today we checked out our insurance...for a car worth twice as much, with about another 90 hp...Our insurance goes DOWN
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:22 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
No Galant section because this is a Lancer enthusiast site.

The Galant Ralliart is a very nice car, though. If I were in need for a larger sedan, it'd be on my list. I can't believe they gave you $19k for your Lancer Ralliart, though. You must've done something really nice to the salesman.

Edit: Nevermind, $19k Canadian play monies.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by otter
I can't believe they gave you $19k for your Lancer Ralliart, though.
Not $19k, look closer, he said $19.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much was that RA Galant?

I helped a friend of mine purchase a car lately and she really liked the Galant. So we went to the local dealership and looked at several. The RA Galant was waaaay out of her pricerange (best dealer price was $25K +tax, etc.), but her favorite. There was this '06 Galant Special Ed. (they only made a few at the end of '06) with 1,500 miles on it. Basically the top of the line GTS without the V6. Anyway, we ended up getting that one for $19,900 OUT THE DOOR, or about $18,800.

Funny I was looking under the hood and noticed that it had our 4G69 and I told the salesman that was the same engine as my RalliArt. He's trying to tell me that I have the 2.0ES engine and that the RA wasn't available in '04. So I take him to my car, pop the hood, and his jaw drops (thanks RRM!!!). He didn't know what to make. First he thinks I have an Evo, then he thought I did an engine swap. All I could do is laugh, he told me that he didn't realize that there was so much aftermarket support for the RA.

No back to our engine in the Galant. For some reason it's rated at 160hp, maybe something to do with the exhaust setup. And, the car weighs in at 3350lbs! Let's just say that the engine feels completely different than a stock RA Lancer. It actually has some low end torque, but NO lane changing power or lively acceleration of any kind! Obviously weight, bigger tires (215/55/17), and the auto are killing it, but she could care less. It looks nice, has leather, nice rims, a central computer, mp3 player, and gets better gas millage then her V6 Taurus.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by reTro
Funny I was looking under the hood and noticed that it had our 4G69 and I told the salesman that was the same engine as my RalliArt. He's trying to tell me that I have the 2.0ES engine and that the RA wasn't available in '04. So I take him to my car, pop the hood, and his jaw drops (thanks RRM!!!).
Wish I could have seen that. Not only an engine he wasn't expecting, but turboed to boot.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
No Galant section because this is a Lancer enthusiast site.

The Galant Ralliart is a very nice car, though. If I were in need for a larger sedan, it'd be on my list. I can't believe they gave you $19k for your Lancer Ralliart, though. You must've done something really nice to the salesman.

Edit: Nevermind, $19k Canadian play monies.
Well at the top of the page it says "Mitsubishi Enthusiast Network" hehe

Oh well, if all goes through guess I'll have to try and find a site that does have info on Galants...
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:44 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Khobin~
Well at the top of the page it says "Mitsubishi Enthusiast Network" hehe

Oh well, if all goes through guess I'll have to try and find a site that does have info on Galants...
You could always try posting in the suggestion/feedback section and request a subforum for other Mitsubishis, seperate from the Other Car section.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 05:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reTro
How much was that RA Galant?
They wanted $39k for the Galant RA, including freight, PDI and all the little fees, plus tax.

The way then played out the deal they wouldn't move on the price of it, being the new model and all, but instead came up on the trade and threw in some extras that we wanted for free, including writing on the sheet, and to be on the bill of sale, that I get any/all parts from them at dealer cost. I realize there's warranty, but that includes tires, aftermarket parts, accesories...everything.

So today I got up and checked the msrp on the website and plugged everything into the calculators and matched up what they told us they would do to what I figured out and it was within pennies, so I'm happy.