Notices

car not starting????

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car not starting????

ok, so here's the deal, I'm approx. 430 miles away from my car, i left it at home while I'm at school. anyways, this means that no one is driving my car, but i have my mom start it every once in a while. well today was the first day she tried starting it since i left for school (around jan. 8th) and she called me up today saying it's not starting. trying to be a smart ***, i ask her if she pushed in the clutch all the way. she said she did and even went back to the car while i was still on the phone. basically, i heard that my car isnt starting, instead it makes this clicking sound. It's worrying the **** out of me and I'm 8 hours away from my car, the next time i planned on going home was probably some time during march. Now I dont know what to do, does anyone know what's up? some possibilities to think of i guess is that it gets pretty cold in central cali but not cold enough for snow. another possibility is that its low in gas, but right when i left is when the light barely turned on. is there anything i can possibly tell my mom to try? thanx guys, make me not worry so i wont fail out of school...
Old Jan 26, 2007, 01:35 PM
FAV
Evolving Member

sounds to me like your battery is running low, throw a charger on it for a couple hours and try again
Old Jan 26, 2007, 01:51 PM

Wow - talk about overly dramatic.

Anyway, if this is the first time you've had a car not start for you consider yourself lucky. First thing I'd do, assuming you get nothing besides click - no headlights, interior lights, anything - would be to bring the battery in to a local auto parts store (Auto Zone, Pep Boys, whatever) and have them test it out. It's free to have them run the testing diagnostics on it, so why not?

If the battery's not the problem, then you can go from there...
Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Not sure why you're worrying, since you're not actually using the car.

You most likely killed your battery by having your Mom starting it and shutting if off all the time. Starting is very draining on the battery, and the car needs to run for a bit to let the alternator bring the battery back to full charge.

If you're going to let your car sit for awhile, just disconnect the battery and leave it. No need to start it regularly, just causes unnecessary wear. If it's for a really long time, not a bad idea to drain the fluids before storing it.
Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
Not sure why you're worrying, since you're not actually using the car.

You most likely killed your battery by having your Mom starting it and shutting if off all the time. Starting is very draining on the battery, and the car needs to run for a bit to let the alternator bring the battery back to full charge.

If you're going to let your car sit for awhile, just disconnect the battery and leave it. No need to start it regularly, just causes unnecessary wear. If it's for a really long time, not a bad idea to drain the fluids before storing it.

Yep, starting and running = worse than just letting it sit. If you want to keep the battery fresh, start it and actually give it a good drive every 2-3 weeks, don't just start and run it.

Battery is probably just dead, jump it and hope for the best. If it's seriously dead (no lights at all) then you may have to put it on a charger. But if the battery was that dead you probably wouldn't even be getting a click.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

^ What he said.

Jump it, keep it running for a while, and then let it be until March. It's not gas or it would start and then shudder and die. And no, temperatures aren't that low here (well, where in Norcal is home?). No need to worry, get back to schoolwork! btw, what major do you study?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 02:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackhawkRA
btw, what major do you study?
Must be a drama major?
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reTro
Must be a drama major?
its actually business, thank you very much...

and yeah, i think its the battery, so there really isn't anything my mom can do about it, i told her to forget about it until i get back which either might be early or late march. anyways, i was worried because i thought there was something seriously wrong with it and i cant go back home anytime that i want to, so i was like mad that i coldnt go back, yeah... anyways, thanx guys
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

so your battery is dead,and you made a thread about.good job!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

you dont want to leave the battery in a deep discharged state for 2 months, the battery wont take a charge after being left discharged that long and or youll really limit the life of the battery.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 03:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bluebyu36
so your battery is dead,and you made a thread about.good job!
na, it's not exactly that, i'm not near my car at all, my mom just told me that my car wouldnt start so I asked the wisemen of evom to see if they had any idea what could be wrong. just chill out man!
Old Jan 27, 2007, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay, so you pretty much know its the battery so at this point just leave this thread alone to avoid more flaming about this in the future from other members . no disrespect, im trying to help you out
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by morpheus256
you dont want to leave the battery in a deep discharged state for 2 months, the battery wont take a charge after being left discharged that long and or youll really limit the life of the battery.

Or it may not take a charge period.
What he should do is just take it out of the car and get it charged and keep it charged on a charger, but he's not there.
Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:13 PM

If your interior lights still working then your battery is on low and not dead yet. All i did when that happend to me was take off the connectors of battery then put it back on. My car would usually idle really bad until the battery is fully charged. I recommend not to drive it and wait for it to idle for like 10 mins. Mine got so bad i have to give it little gas for it not to die for the first minute or so while idling. After that my car would run fine and back to normal.
Old Jan 28, 2007, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

sorry bro,bad day!

Quick Reply: car not starting????