Notices

60K mile timing belt change....

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
60K mile timing belt change....

Has anyone had their timing belt changed at 60K miles yet? I'm currently at almost 52K miles and I was curious and asked how much it would be to do when the times comes. I was told that it'll run a little over $500 but on top of that, they are talking about changing out the water pump, transmission flush, and something like a "invection" cleaning and the grand total comes to around $1500! What do my fellow RA drivers recommend getting done and how much did it cost? I know it'll be probably cheaper to get this done by a non-mitsu shop but will it be covered under warranty later on if something malfunctions?
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

I was wondering about the cost too. I just hit 53K miles.

Mitsubishi can't say a thing about getiing work done cheeper at another mechanic.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:31 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Timing belt change shouldn't cost you more than $500. $400 would be pretty reasonable. I did my own and it ran me around $200 in parts, but I changed the tensioner which I don't think the dealership does. No need to change your water pump until 120,000 miles. No idea what the invection thing is, but sounds like a fancy word for "makes dealership more money." Maybe they meant "induction" cleaning, which is still unneccesary on a car with only 60k miles.

Do you have an auto or manual Ralliart? If manual, you don't need the trans flushed, just have the fluid changed out.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Will they pull the motor to change the belt? Just thinking of other things I should have done at the same time (motor mounts, underdrive pully what else?).
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:36 PM
EvoM Administrator

No. One motor mount is removed (passenger side), but that's it. Most of the work is done through the passenger wheel well.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by otter
No idea what the invection thing is, but sounds like a fancy word for "makes dealership more money."
lol, thers alot of fancy words for that.
Old Mar 1, 2007, 07:54 PM

I am at 72k miles and should change my timing belt. I am getting afraid that it may break and blow up the head so I went by the dealership today(I would call them a stealership because they didnt do me to nicely on the price of my car, but customer support, and parts/labor are always handy and cheep) and they gave me a big piece of paper with all the prices. This is a Hyundai/Mitsubishi shop combined that does great work. $299 for the timing belt replaced, with labor, extra $125 to have the tensioner replaced, with no extra labor. So im looking at $425 with tensionr, which isnt to bad. I have replaced timing blets before, but on DOHC cars without MIVEC. Very afraid I would possibly mess up timing ever so slighty and there goes my money, so a exta $150 isnt bad. Here is also a few other things to consider when getting this done.

Replace PCV valve = $19.95
Manual Transmission Service = $39.95
Fuel Injection Service = $119.95
Old Mar 2, 2007, 07:11 AM
EvoM Administrator

Doing it on our car is easier than a DOHC since there's one less cam to worry about lining up. Plus, you won't be touching anything that has to do with MIVEC. You must have a really nice dealership, though, because those prices are actually reasonable.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah they have taken good care of me. They added a lot of extra stuff to my car that I didnt really know about when I bought it, part my fault i guess, so the total was like $25,000 after finance charges and whatnot, really $20k because i put 5k down, but their service shop has been outstanding to me. They figured out that one of my vaccum lines messed up when I installed my Injen CAI and they replaced it for free for me and asked where I got the CAI from but didnt say a word.

Otter, do you know about the Fuel Injection Service. I know you know a lot and was wondering it that is ok. The car I did all the work to was a Cavalier with a LD9 in it(running 14 psi safely ) and the intake manifold was on the front and the exhaust was in the rear(like EVO X) and I could work on the intake manifold and do everything myself but on the ralliart I dont really wanna mess with it.

They told me they take off the Intake Manifold, clean it and the throttle body, pull the injectors, flow test them, and take off the head to check valve clearance and make sure everything is lined up right. Hopefully they do all that stuff because for $120 I think thats a steal.... just wanted your input though...
Old Mar 2, 2007, 02:27 PM
EvoM Administrator

For $120 I severely doubt they'd do all that. Pulling the IM, much less the head, is a large amount of labor. Plus, cost of replacing the head gasket (about $40.) I wouldn't bother with it on such a young engine. At most, run some seafoam through the gas tank.