CAI vs SRI
With the endless amount of threads surrounding the topic 'CAI vs SRI
', I've decided to list everything possible about this modification. Hopefully we can make it a sticky.
Should I search before posting a thread about CAI or SRI?
Yes. Matter a fact, you can search now. Search button can be located on the top right hand corner.
What does a CAI and SRI look like?
CAI > SRI
What brands are avaliable to us?
6. Ultimate Racing
The above brands can be found elsewhere at other independent websites such as ebay
or affilates of the above brands.
How much do they cost?
Please view the above links to view prices.
What is the best intake system?
Each intake system has its own advantages and disadvantages.
The best one would be whats best for you
. Some intake systems out there are dyno-proven to show results and some not. Some prefer an intake system based on brand and some prefer an intake system based on sound.
In the end, they all pretty much do the same job at around the same power
How long does it usually take to install an intake system?
Depending on your level of mechanic know-how it should take about 15 minutes for a SRI and about 30-60 minutes for a CAI depending on your level of expertise. Always have a friend who can help!
Can I convert any of the above brands from CAI to SRI?
6. Ultimate Racing
The advantages and disadvantages.
- More low-end power
- Costs less
- Weighs less
- Easy access
- Better designed for AT transmissions but not limited to.
- Due to the chance of rain, your filter has a better chance of not sucking in water/deposits as it remains on a higher surface.
- More mid-top-end power
- Costs more
- Weighs more
- Not easily accessed but neatly tucked away.
- Better designed for MT transmissions but not limited to.
- Due to the filter being lower to the ground, your filter is subjected to puddles etc. If you submerge your filter in a puddle of some sort, it is highly likely you will cause your engine to hydrolock, enough to damage your car. Please view concequences here
(credit to Derek from Mitsunation)
How much horsepower (hp) do I get from the intake?
Each intake is designed in such a way that will provide different effects. Some will provide more and some less. Each intake system will yield anywhere between 7hp - 10hp.
My Check Engine Light (CEL) came on?
When installing a SRI or CAI, the CEL usually does not
But in any case, make sure your MAF is properly secured as well as the intake. Make sure that no air is getting in. If your intake piping sizing is larger than 2.5", then the MAF sensor will read more air than usual, hence throwing you a CEL. The CEL code shouldn't give you a problem at all. If it does, take it to your local mechanic to have a look at it or post up on the boards and we'll gladly help you out.
My pod filter came off. Help?
- If the pod filter has come off, air deposits and/or dust may have entered its way into the intake system and possibly into the engine. However due to the longer extension on a CAI, it is unlikely it would reach that far. If you submerge your filter in a puddle/water it is highly likely you will cause your engine to hydrolock, enough to damage your car.
- If you have a larger pod filter, larger than the intake piping, try using some electric tape, paper tape (not sticky tape) and wrapping it around the intake piping until the pod filter gets a nice squeeze onto the intake. Then tighten the clamp
- If the pod filter has come off, air deposits and/or dust may have entered its way into the engine. Due to a shorter distance between the intake and the engine it is possible deposits may have entered the engine. If this is the case, take it to a local mechanic to have it looked at if you notice ill effects.
For both intake systems, make sure to secure the filter to the piping down with the clamp given. Make sure it is firm and strong.
I want to build my own CAI or SRI, how do I go about it?
DangerousDan has written up a DIY Cold Air Intake guide here
I'm going to remove the MAF sensor, anything I should know?
Yes, be careful. The MAF sensors are delicate and will cost you quite a bit from the dealer if you damage it. Just be gentle when taking off the screws.
Im going turbo/supercharger, should I get an intake?
If you're going forced induction 1, 2 or 3 years down the track, investing in an intake wouldn't hurt if you've got the money. It's your call since the intake won't be needed no longer if you're going forced induction.
I've installed the intake, now what?
Reset the ECU by disconnecting the negtaive terminal from your battery and give it a few minutes. Start her up, let her idle for a bit then go have some fun.