Notices

Bottomed out and caused a little damage. help!

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2008, 05:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bottomed out and caused a little damage. help!

Hey everyone!

I was at my cottage driving on the back roads and i ended up bottoming out on a massive rock sticking out of the road. Everything was fine at first - but when i went to fill up my gas tank, the gauge says i only have half - and an engine code came up today:

P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

I took a look under my car - it scraped the underbody a bit but nothing too bad; but here's the kicker: the gas tank is dented now (not too bad though). Is this sensor outside of the gas tank or inside? Would my bumper-bumper warranty cover this even though it was pretty much my fault that i bottomed out?

Thanks a lot!
Old May 21, 2008, 08:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
B2B should cover it! Go to the dealer and just tell them you think something's wrong with your gas guage.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

where do engine codes appear? i never had a problem with my car so i don't know
Old May 21, 2008, 08:43 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottie22
Hey everyone!

I was at my cottage driving on the back roads and i ended up bottoming out on a massive rock sticking out of the road. Everything was fine at first - but when i went to fill up my gas tank, the gauge says i only have half - and an engine code came up today:

P0463 Fuel Level Sensor Circuit High Input

I took a look under my car - it scraped the underbody a bit but nothing too bad; but here's the kicker: the gas tank is dented now (not too bad though). Is this sensor outside of the gas tank or inside? Would my bumper-bumper warranty cover this even though it was pretty much my fault that i bottomed out?

Thanks a lot!
I'm guessing the dent is more towards the passenger side? The sensor is inside the tank, it's basically a float on an arm. If you remove the bottom cushion of the rear seat, there are some access panels you can remove to access the sensor (pass. side) and fuel pump (driver's side.) Chances are that if you can easily see the dent from the outside of the tank, something inside is likely damaged. Also, not a warranty fix, this would be one for insurance.

Originally Posted by NorCal Lancer
where do engine codes appear? i never had a problem with my car so i don't know
Codes don't appear, only a light comes on, you need a code reader to see codes.
Old May 21, 2008, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gjgfrombigd
B2B should cover it! Go to the dealer and just tell them you think something's wrong with your gas guage.
Damage caused from a driving related accident isn't covered under B2B... Like said above by Mr. Otter, insurance should cover it, but you'll have to pay the premium..
Old May 26, 2008, 09:21 PM

hmm... you should have put one of those DIY home depot lip kit on ur car and u might have been able to avoid that problem j/k hehe. sux about ur car tho bro, have u done any mods to the car?
Old May 30, 2008, 07:57 AM

damn. If it hit the gas tank hard enough to affect the sensor, you probably want to get it checked. You don't want a small leak or vapors escaping into the cabin.

What you are describing falls under the category of "road hazard" and there's a clause in the warranty paperwork that specifically does not indemnify it.

A few years back my buddy destroyed a TE37 pretty badly on a massive pothole on a public road. He managed to receive compensation after arguing with city hall.