Notices

Headlight Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 12:56 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Headlight Adjustment

Hi, i just got HID's and now that i actually have some power behind my lights i see that they seem to be pointed down quite badly, i notice that when im driving i can see the source of the light is only 7 to 8 feet from my bumper, now i dont want to blind oncomming drivers but how do i adjust the pitch (?) of the angle of the headlamp... thanks
Old Dec 6, 2009, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
stock housing or projectors?
Old Dec 6, 2009, 01:15 AM
Evolving Member

stock
Old Dec 6, 2009, 08:08 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Open the hood and look down the back of the headlight (flashlight helps) and you'll see a gray toothed gear. Stick a phillips head screwdriver in there and turn.

Here's how to determine the proper aim:
http://www.automedia.com/Aiming_Head...cr20010801ha/1
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

ill take a look thank you so much!!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Be careful as to not strip that bolt out... Its quite easy to when you're not getting at it directly, then you're screwed...
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolved Member

cant you also turn the adjustor with a boxwrench or something of that nature if the screwdriver is a failure? unless is it only like that on the projectors... i dont have my stock headlights anymore as i just sold them a few weeks back. sorry cant be much help
Old Dec 6, 2009, 10:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i use a long skinny flat head screw driver and turn the gears directly...much much easier that trying to wedge your hand in there with a wrench... and theyre aimed really low because of the length of the hid bulb itself, they're longer than the halogens so the centre of light sits farther into the little dome thing therfore changing the reflection points and therefore the output... fyi
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

well it depends, some hid light bulbs have the focusing point of their lights centered around where the halogen light would have their filament focusing point as opposed to one universal bulb. thats what i observed when comparing my halogen to my hid kit when i installed them into my projector. it all depends on what kind of bulb i believe before you can say all hidkits change the reflection point and output.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
good info. i have HIDs on mine and ive also noticed it its pointing down a bit than the stock halos...it still looks good and i can see clearly ahead also i can drive on the highway fine but i kinda want it to be pointing up a bit more lol
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:41 AM
Evolving Member

yeah thats exactly what im thinking ill see if i can take some shots and im interested if it is the same as what you see pnoy
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:41 AM
EvoM Administrator

Originally Posted by Raikiri
cant you also turn the adjustor with a boxwrench or something of that nature if the screwdriver is a failure? unless is it only like that on the projectors... i dont have my stock headlights anymore as i just sold them a few weeks back. sorry cant be much help
No. When adjusting the headlights with a phillips screwdriver, you're not adjusting a screw, you're adjusting a plastic gear that's teeth are designed to mesh with a phillips head screwdriver.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
Is the location on the USDM headlights the same on JDM headlights? Thanks!

Last edited by NJ9MR; Dec 7, 2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by otter
No. When adjusting the headlights with a phillips screwdriver, you're not adjusting a screw, you're adjusting a plastic gear that's teeth are designed to mesh with a phillips head screwdriver.
uh... sure? all i know is that the adjustor gear on the projectors has a bolt on the outside of the screwdriver hole thats alot easier to turn with a box wrench instead of trying to squeeze in a screwdriver but then again they're aftermarket so there's bound to be differences.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:21 PM
EvoM Administrator

Must be different than OEM, then. The gear is incredibly easy to reach on the OEM headlights and I can't imagine trying to wedge a box wrench down there, or where you'd even attach the box wrench to.

Quick Reply: Headlight Adjustment