Notices

Throttle Issues After Rain

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 03:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Issues After Rain

Ok Ive searched multiple times to see if anyone here has had this same issue. I saw nothing helpful so here I am.

My 04 Lancer Ralliart has been having some problems lately. After/During heavy rain the cars SES light comes on. At the same time my throttle becomes very laggy I have to push it half way down to get it to take off. The first time it did this I had the error read at a local garage and the mechanic told me he was getting a reading from the Throttle Position Sensor and from the computer. He tried clearing the code but that caused my engine to shake extremely bad, only hit on 2 pistons, and the throttle wouldnt respond at all. He reset whatever he cleared and told me to get the TPS replaced. Well the local Dealer said that I cant just get that piece I have to get an entire new throttle body for $1100+. Well the next day the error was gone, and the car acted just fine. This has happened to me two more times. It rains the throttle acts up, and the car idles funny then the next day its fine.

So has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone have any clue how I could fix this? Im suspecting that the connection between the TPS and the computer is the problem but Im not sure. Thanks for any help in advance!
Old May 4, 2011, 12:25 AM

Do you have a cold air intake? Could it be you are just sucking up moist air and it's messing up your MAF???
Old May 4, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by mmoulton470
Do you have a cold air intake? Could it be you are just sucking up moist air and it's messing up your MAF???
That was happening with me. Whenever it would rain bad, my car would sputter and not run right. No problems now that i went to my sri. Even with my vented hood. I just have my filter behind my headlight where the stock battery used to sit.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:14 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Hydrolock?
Old May 4, 2011, 06:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by parrishr13
Hydrolock?
If it was hydrolock, i dont think it would be fine the next day.
Old May 4, 2011, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

i knew i've read this subject happening to someone on here before but couldn't remember who it was and i was just to lazy to search
Old May 4, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliart610
If it was hydrolock, i dont think it would be fine the next day.
I think it would be, as mine was the same day within hours. The car wouldn't start, was put up on a tow truck, driven down the highway to the dealer, and started right up. Everything was fine.
Old May 4, 2011, 07:35 AM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I bet the mechanic misinterpreted the code and I'm thinking it's the Accel Pedal Sensor, not the TPS. Did you happen to write down the actual code?
Old May 4, 2011, 08:33 AM

Well I dont have a CAI, and I havent yet installed my SRI, so it still has the stock airbox on it. And I didnt write down the error. If its still doing it on my lunch break I'll run to auto zone across the street and get the code. The mechanic showed me what he thought the problem was. But like you otter Im not convinced he was reading it right either. And the fact that it keeps going off and on according to the rain is annoying and adding to my confusion. I inspected the engine yesterday but where the wires go back around the engine from the throttle I cant see anything getting wet... :/
Old May 4, 2011, 09:16 AM
EvoM Administrator

It wouldn't be the first time that someone has misinterpreted that code. As for the rain, it's probably more related to humidity than it is to the rain itself. When mine went bad a few years ago the symptoms were always worse on hot/humid days.
Old May 4, 2011, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

This happens to me very often. I was worried the first few times but now i just ignore it. And yes it mostly happens when theres high humidity or rain. The car just suddenly goes into limp mode. Ive scanned it and I always been told its a code related to TPS also. In fact i had the code come up two days ago.

The next time i get it again ill write it down and post it here.

NOTE:When i get the SES i just turn off the car a few seconds then turn it back again until the car gets out of limp mode. The SES stays on for a few miles but then it turns off.
Old May 4, 2011, 10:39 AM

$MIVEC$, thats what mine does. Yesterday the throttle was acting weird but today the SES is still on and it responds just fine, other than idling a bit higher than normal. I took it to Auto Zone on my lunch and they didnt get the 2 errors they got the first time it was scanned just the one for the TPS. The error code is P2121
Old May 4, 2011, 02:34 PM
EvoM Administrator

P2121 is not a TPS code, it's a pedal sensor code.
Old May 4, 2011, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i looked it up and APPS code is the reference
Old May 5, 2011, 05:52 AM

So AutoZones scanners are incorrect? I saw the guys screen it said Throttle Position Sensor. LOL Shows how trust worthy AutoZone's equipment is. So is there a way to fix this? And how does the rain cause the Pedal Sensor to freak out and throw me in limp mode?

Quick Reply: Throttle Issues After Rain