Notices

car wont go over 3,000 RPM

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2011, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car wont go over 3,000 RPM

hey guys i have an 04 ralliart. while trying to maintain a constand speed, the car seems to start to bog down..like the engine is losing power. it happens randomly.

after driving it for a couple days this way, i was getting off of the highway and the CEL light comes on, i have to mash the pedal to even get to 20 MPH. the car has no go to it at all.

whether the car is in gear or not, it wont go above 3,000 RPMs. if im in neutral, and i put the pedal to the floor the rpms raise very very slowly. it seems that if i let the car sit for 10 minutes, the problem just disapears. has anyone else had, or heard of this problem?

also, i went to autozone and pulled a code. the ink on the reciept they gave me rubbed off, so i dont have the actual code, but the description was "open or closed circuit. or Pedal positioningsensor" The guy at autozone acted like he didnt know what the hell any of it meant.

thanks guys
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

did you check the MAF???
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:10 AM

i will check that today, could that really be causing all that trouble?

my problems sound very similar to this now that i looked around more:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...er-rain-2.html

but mine doesnt only seem to happen in rain..
Old Jul 23, 2011, 08:14 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
that sounds like the tps sensor is going out, it's a spring looking part that is at the end of the throttle cable. make sure the connections are good and free from corrosion , disconnect the battery first to be safe.
Old Jul 23, 2011, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
our APP sensor and TPS do have some issues.....its not all tho. Causes the vehicle to go into limp home mode which is what your experiencing
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Make sure you don't have a loose battery terminal connection, i had that problem, and it gave me weird codes related to other sensors. Since i replaced my negative battery connector i have no gone into limp mode, or thrown any codes since.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Also check and make sure all your ecu plugs are connected. There was one post on here earlier that had all sorts of weird codes cause of that
Old Jul 24, 2011, 06:50 AM
Evolved Member

APP Sensor is your culprit. Unplug it and apply some di-electric grease on it. If that doesn't help with the problem you're going to most likely have to buy a new one.

P.S. Hot Carl is a funny *** name.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:28 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
^ I like what you drive

OP, please take some pics once you figure out what it is. This would be helpful for future reference for anyone who has similar issues.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 02:33 PM
Evolving Member

tps sensor!
Old Jul 25, 2011, 06:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Hot_Carl
i will check that today, could that really be causing all that trouble?

my problems sound very similar to this now that i looked around more:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...er-rain-2.html

but mine doesnt only seem to happen in rain..
That thread is where you need to be looking amigo. Especially the last few posts. Autozone's machine will tell you its the Throttle Position Sensor. But what the real culprit maybe is likely the Accelerator Position Sensor. If you pop the hood look right behind the passenger light the throttle cable connects to a coil and a small chip. That's likely the issue. The code Autozone gives you is P2121. Try some tips the other guys said about the battery and ECU if that doesnt work you may need to replace that part. I ordered mine off mitsubishiparts.net and it totalled out at around $210. If it turns out you do need that part its part number is MR578861, and litterally takes 15 or less minutes to replace.

As for the dielectric grease thing I might skip that Crankswick has confirmed that it acts as more of an insulator. It restricts the flow on the connectors rather than making it easier. RalliartN had some insightful knowledge on this.
Originally Posted by RalliartN
I know the idea behind using grease in electrical connectors is to stop corrosion, but don't do it. Dry, clean, shiny (i.e. oxidation sanded off) is the best. I've done plenty of electrical bulb and connector troubleshooting where someone has used that grease and all it's done is inhibit conduction and made the part stop working or work intermittently. If grease is used and the connection seems to work it's in spite of the grease as metal-to-metal contact has cut through the slime, and this doesn't last long.

If there is a particular connection that seems to corrode often, well, add cleaning it to your maintenance list of things to do more often.
Anyway I went through this same problem forever and just recently got mine fixed. So I wish you the best of luck! Oh and here is a pic to help you know what your looking for.
Name:  MR578861.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  27.3 KB
Old Jul 26, 2011, 06:12 PM

Thank you for all of the input guys, ill keep you posted.
Old Jul 28, 2011, 11:19 PM

just had the same issue the other day ... it was the APPS ... a couple pose up with the picture. noticed that the car ran even better before i even had the issue
Old Aug 1, 2011, 06:49 PM
Evolving Member

I had this issue once every 2-3 months (sometimes in pairs within a day) I'd lose all power and have to slam the gas pedal to get the car into a parking lot at 2500 rpm driving through what felt like quick sand.

The dealer reflashed my ECU and not only did that fix it, the car sounds and feels meaner now too ha. I forgot what my check engine code was but when I gave it to the dealer they found what the reflash was for it.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 04:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much did they charge you for the reflash?

Quick Reply: car wont go over 3,000 RPM