Notices

A/c problems

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/c problems

Yesterday I was driving on the local highway and out of the blue the a/c stops blowing cold air . I have no clue what the problem is . Anybody have a clue . The car has 137,000 on the 04 ralliart , I never recharge the a/c . If anyone has a suggestion to the problem ?
Old Jun 2, 2013, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
same problem here, compressor clutch works, never got around to figure it out...i'm chasing power...
Old Jun 2, 2013, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I put leak detector in my system last time I refilled the a/c. The only place I found a leak was in the high and low pressure valves. I went to my local part store and sure enough they had the valves in stock which means that it is a common problem. I havn't refilled it since I replaced the valves will see if I have time soon..
Old Jun 6, 2013, 08:59 AM

Is there any hissing sound when you turn the AC on? If there is, I think your freon runs out, that's the sound of air passing the evaporation valve. I replaced my high pressure hose last year due to leaking.
Old Jun 6, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ralliart 04 21
Yesterday I was driving on the local highway and out of the blue the a/c stops blowing cold air . I have no clue what the problem is . Anybody have a clue . The car has 137,000 on the 04 ralliart , I never recharge the a/c . If anyone has a suggestion to the problem ?
I didn't have AC for over two years and FINALLY solved it with a VERY EASY solution...

This may not be your problem:

Without prior removal of anything from the car, remove the one nut that holds the compressor clutch plate on (center photo) and remove the clutch plate...BE ALERT for very thin shims/spacers/washers behind the clutch plate on the shaft (access is easier under the car)! Mine only had one that I luckily saw drop to the asphalt.

These spacers provide an air gap between the magnetic clutch plate and the compressor. An online article talked about the magnetism becoming weak after the clutch plate gets old, requiring decreasing the air gap by removing some of the spacers. I removed the one spacer that fell off mine and VOILA, my AC cranks cold air in all settings! Not sure how long this'll last but I'm "good to go" until further notice. You might start here and go from there.

Where abouts in Jersey are you?

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 6, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Qshiplvr (Aug 15, 2021)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
I didn't have AC for over two years and FINALLY solved it with a VERY EASY solution...

This may not be your problem:

Without prior removal of anything from the car, remove the one nut that holds the compressor clutch plate on (center photo) and remove the clutch plate...BE ALERT for very thin shims/spacers/washers behind the clutch plate on the shaft (access is easier under the car)! Mine only had one that I luckily saw drop to the asphalt.

These spacers provide an air gap between the magnetic clutch plate and the compressor. An online article talked about the magnetism becoming weak after the clutch plate gets old, requiring decreasing the air gap by removing some of the spacers. I removed the one spacer that fell off mine and VOILA, my AC cranks cold air in all settings! Not sure how long this'll last but I'm "good to go" until further notice. You might start here and go from there.

Where abouts in Jersey are you?
It's starting to get ridiculously hot down here in Toronto.
I think it's time for me to fiddle with my A/C.
If ever you are free, do you mind lending me a hand with this, please?
I'm still stuck with my stereo head unit not working but that can wait.
Thanks a lot bro!
Old Jun 26, 2013, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I would if I wasn't ten hours from you.

Taking that center 12mm? nut off really is that simple...

photobucket-16093-1372259035054_zps3bd47184.jpg?t=1372259036

... but before you do, make sure the clutch plate is not spinning when your a/c is on (when the a/c is operating correctly, the clutch plate engages/spins when the inside car temperature falls below the set temperature, via a thermostat. When the inside car temperature reaches the set temperature, the clutch plate disengages/ stops spinning). The clutch plate is located on the front of the a/c compressor, which is located on the passenger side of the engine compartment. It is the closest pulley to the front headlight, on that side of the car. The clutch plate is the round/triangular plate with the three black circles on it (see picture). If it doesn't eventually spin with the a/c on, then proceed with taking it off, which slips off the shaft after you remove the nut. Look for small, thin washers/spacers on the shaft. Remove one (if there's more than one) and fasten the clutch plate back on. Start the car and see if the clutch plate is spinning when the a/c is on and cold air is being emitted. If the clutch plate is not spinning, and there's more than one spacer, remove another one and try again. If this doesn't solve the problem then something else is wrong.

Last edited by truthdweller; Jun 26, 2013 at 07:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Qshiplvr (Aug 15, 2021)
Old Jun 30, 2013, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry to thread jack but i figured my problem was around the same lines so making a new thread seemed a bit dumb.

Anyway the belt in my car has been squeaking at idle and on initial take off but it stops as your getting up to speed. I happened to turn on the AC and while moving its fine but if i slow down, come to a stop it gets bad. And if i take off with the AC on its so bad i wouldn't describe it as a squeak its like the damned thing is screaming. But again it stops once i get up to speed...

Could this be my compressor going out or the pulley not turning? It still blows cold air when the AC is on but the squeaking is so annoying/embarrassing. If it is the compressor going out or locking up could i get a shorter belt and just skip the AC compressor until i have cash to replace it?
Old Jul 1, 2013, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bakuro117
Sorry to thread jack but i figured my problem was around the same lines so making a new thread seemed a bit dumb.

Anyway the belt in my car has been squeaking at idle and on initial take off but it stops as your getting up to speed. I happened to turn on the AC and while moving its fine but if i slow down, come to a stop it gets bad. And if i take off with the AC on its so bad i wouldn't describe it as a squeak its like the damned thing is screaming. But again it stops once i get up to speed...

Could this be my compressor going out or the pulley not turning? It still blows cold air when the AC is on but the squeaking is so annoying/embarrassing. If it is the compressor going out or locking up could i get a shorter belt and just skip the AC compressor until i have cash to replace it?
Has the serpentine belt been replaced on your vehicle since its been bought? If not, replace it for it should have been replaced at 60,000 miles. This could be a major catastrophe waiting to happen!
Also, consider your belt tensioner pulley, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...tensioner.html
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by truthdweller
Has the serpentine belt been replaced on your vehicle since its been bought? If not, replace it for it should have been replaced at 60,000 miles. This could be a major catastrophe waiting to happen! Also, consider your belt tensioner pulley, https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/04...tensioner.html
The increase in the screaming sounds like the added stress on the engine/belt when the air conditioner is on. Here is a troubleshoot, BUT NOT A SOLUTION... when the squeak is present spray some WD 40 on the pulley side of the belt and see if that remedies the noise. If it does then it sounds like your belt is the culprit. Once that WD 40 wears off the squeak will come back, so again, DON'T rely on this as a solution!

Last edited by truthdweller; Jul 1, 2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2013, 11:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Well the belt is fairly new. Ive only had it for a few months cause I had to buy a new one when I put on my UDP. But the sound is definitely coming from the AC pulley.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:07 AM

I just started having an A/C issue last weekend as well. Now it just alternates between blowing air and blowing cold air. On any fan speed, the compressor will come on, blow cold air for like 30 seconds, then turn off for like 30 seconds, then come back on. Over and over. The fan stays on at all times, so it's always blowing air at the same speed, but for half the time, it's not cold air. So it never really gets cold, which really sucks down here in Texas.

You can hear it each time the compressor comes back on. No weird noises from anything and no other issues. I know I need a new radiator fan control module, but I don't think that's related to this..

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the compressor clutch.

Last edited by strakele; Jul 19, 2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

well I could take it anymore, the hit 101 here in new jersey , so today I dropped my car at the dealership so they can tell me what the hell is wrong with this car a/c . I already had the system flushed . and I still have the same problem . the fan module was changed last year. so hopeful the dealership can tell me the problem . and then I can going to my family mechanic and get it don't for around half of what the dealer would charge
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by strakele
I just started having an A/C issue last weekend as well. Now it just alternates between blowing air and blowing cold air. On any fan speed, the compressor will come on, blow cold air for like 30 seconds, then turn off for like 30 seconds, then come back on. Over and over. The fan stays on at all times, so it's always blowing air at the same speed, but for half the time, it's not cold air. So it never really gets cold, which really sucks down here in Texas.

You can hear it each time the compressor comes back on. No weird noises from anything and no other issues. I know I need a new radiator fan control module, but I don't think that's related to this..

Any ideas? I'm guessing it's the compressor clutch.

Is the clutch spinning when its blowing hot air?
Old Jul 20, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

If it is intermittently engaging, refer to post #5 and #7....you might be surprised.

Quick Reply: A/c problems