Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikemike396
Thank you
No worries! I love Google
Old Jul 16, 2013, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by meckert
with any luck you gapped the plugs, in the pic the new plug doesnt look gapped at all--hence the shorter length.
NGK states on the box do not adjust the gap on these plugs - install as they come from the factory.

Measured the lengths with vernier calipers - used to be a machinist, so I have all zee tools. It's like Cranswick said, length from under the gasket to the tip of the skinny iridium electrode.

And I don't rely on luck... I read

Last edited by RalliartN; Jul 16, 2013 at 03:12 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
how old are those plugs? looks rich, and hot...lol

how's your tune? what what's your gap?
49,000 km on these originals. Not rich at all, its the mood lighting in my garage

The threads are dark, but the ground prong and the ceramic around the electrode are uniformally coated in a fine white-ish ash. No metal particles, no electrode wear. Gap is 0.035". Still good for another 50,000 km.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 03:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i gap...because racecar
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:28 AM

ok this may newbish but I've read the thread and I believe I need to replace my plugs a.s.a.p. my questions are... with no major mods done to my car do I need to do any other things while I'm there aside from just taking out the old and putting in the new plugs? I plan on getting the NGK LFR7AIX plugs on amazon I found them for a good deal but says they don't fit?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by fmhinderer
ok this may newbish but I've read the thread and I believe I need to replace my plugs a.s.a.p. my questions are... with no major mods done to my car do I need to do any other things while I'm there aside from just taking out the old and putting in the new plugs? I plan on getting the NGK LFR7AIX plugs on amazon I found them for a good deal but says they don't fit?

there's no need to run colder plugs with little to no modification...**** you can run copper plugs...but iridium is by the book...
Old Jul 6, 2015, 05:59 PM

ok cool thanks cranswick
Old Jul 7, 2015, 05:54 PM
Evolved Member

Amazon FTW!!

Yeah, our best bet is to trust the 17 year old auto parts "expert" inputting info into the Amazon database.

Thinking about it now, of course the NGK tech department knows **** about the plugs they designed - shame on me for letting them fool me. It looks like I've made a huge mistake running'em for a long time successfully in an engine I hammer hard.

...nothing personal, I understand your question ...I get sarcastic after I do really thorough work and it gets trumped by Amazon as the authority?!?

Last edited by RalliartN; Jul 7, 2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 08:32 PM

So as you said, Cold spark plugs are good for modded cars. I am planning on adding a cold air intake. Was wondering do I need the cold spark plugs. (Probably the only mod, maybe some tuning in the future)

Also is it bad to run cold spark plugs if the car is stock. Does one give you better mileage (I don't think so)
Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:32 PM
Evolved Member

cold air intake is hardly modding...basically, you don't need colder plugs unless you either increase compression, or increase intake manifold pressure (as in forced induction) which will produce more power, and increase combustion chamber temperatures...also if you do any tuning, specifically advancing ignition timing, you could benefit from colder plugs...otherwise you're just spending more money than necessary...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
cold air intake is hardly modding...basically, you don't need colder plugs unless you either increase compression, or increase intake manifold pressure (as in forced induction) which will produce more power, and increase combustion chamber temperatures...also if you do any tuning, specifically advancing ignition timing, you could benefit from colder plugs...otherwise you're just spending more money than necessary...
Thank you.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 08:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Yeah, our best bet is to trust the 17 year old auto parts "expert" inputting info into the Amazon database.

Thinking about it now, of course the NGK tech department knows **** about the plugs they designed - shame on me for letting them fool me. It looks like I've made a huge mistake running'em for a long time successfully in an engine I hammer hard.

...nothing personal, I understand your question ...I get sarcastic after I do really thorough work and it gets trumped by Amazon as the authority?!?
I get this all the time. Dr Google beats my six years of college, four years of vet school, 18 years of practice experience.

And I'm sticking with the stock plugs on my stock engine.
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by floating doc
I get this all the time. Dr Google beats my six years of college, four years of vet school, 18 years of practice experience.

And I'm sticking with the stock plugs on my stock engine.
Well seeing how people already had questions with the plug in the very beginning and there was no clear answer as to whether or not anything different needed to be done, I feel the question was legitimate. I never said you were wrong and amazon is right I just wanted clarity.. and if you're so bothered by it days later when someone already answered all I needed then maybe your just a jackals and not a smart ***..
Old Jul 10, 2015, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Well seeing how people already had questions with the plug in the very beginning and there was no clear answer as to whether or not anything different needed to be done, I feel the question was legitimate. I never said you were wrong and amazon is right I just wanted clarity.. and if you're so bothered by it days later when someone already answered all I needed then maybe your just a jackals and not a smart ***..

easy now, I think the issue is that informative posts like these take time, research and money from our own pockets to bring the knowledge to the masses, and your doubtful reply simply struck the wrong note with a few of the regulars because of that...we're here to bring knowledge, not bull****, if there were any doubts about the validity of the information, I (or someone) would have called them out already cheers...