Notices

04 Lancer Ralliart Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2013, 09:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 04 Lancer Ralliart Headlight Issue

Hi there,
I have an 04 Lancer Ralliart which is completely stock. Recently I started going through an impressive amount of headlights on my passenger side. I kept replacing them with the same brand of bulbs and they would last about 2 weeks; I always replaced both drivers and passenger sides being careful not to touch the bulb.
Suddenly, I have NO headlights. I go in and wiggle the wires and PRESTO! I have headlights.
Until I drive and hit a bump in the road, that is.
I checked the connectors and notice massive "flash burns" on the center pins and less burns on the other pins (these could be residual) on both passenger and driver connectors. (See Crappy Pic below)
Being the smrt guy that I think I am, I went and bought new connectors and replaced the old ones thinking it could possibly have been corrosion or something causing a short.
And, PRESTO! I have headlights.
For about 20 minutes, that is.
I checked the new connectors, and both have the same "flash burns".

Anyone have an idea as to what is causing this? And more importantly how to fix it?
By the way, the wiring and connectors do NOT appear corroded and if I scrape the flash burn stuff away, I do get continuity with each of the three wires when I meter it out with no shorts at the connector.
I do get 12V from the wires when I meter them out; just no headlights (no amps, though, because no load). This also tells me, which I confirmed with my meter, that the fuses are not blown.

04 Lancer Ralliart Headlight Issue-connector.jpg
Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

What power replacements did you use? There are options here, usually they are 55W but there's a chance you bought 100W, which draw much more current through the tiny headlight wiring.

On my car I had to pull and replace the headlight wiring furthest I could on both sides, I went with 16ga instead of the 20-22ga it had in place. Seems the wires were dried up inside/broken.
Old Sep 16, 2013, 06:51 PM

Not sure. They are EuroLite Xenon Super Plasma 9007XB. Nowhere on the packaging does it say if they are 55W or 100W. I checked the website (toucaninc.com) and the catalog (2011) shows them as 65/55W.