Notices

This may be farewell...

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2013, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This may be farewell...

Yea, so this happened...

Three car accident (including me), last Saturday night.

The driver behind me was rear-ended and in turn rear-ended me while at a stop light on the way out of D.C. The driver behind me tried to swerve which is why most of the damage was sustained on the far right side of my rear bumper.

The driver that caused the accident fled the scene. If I had to guess I'd assume they were drunk since it was 2 a.m. and we were leaving the downtown club/bar part of town, not to mention they crashed into a row of cars sitting at a stop light.

I also heard that lately car jackers in D.C. have started getting into rear end fender benders and jumping into your car when you get out to assess the damage...

Anyway, I had the presence of mind to swerve before I hit the car in front of me, but even with this bit of damage, my car may be a total loss. The insurance company will give me the verdict this week.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. With the insurance adjusters initial assessment, the damage totalled upwards of $3000. With the teardown, my shop told me there was even more damage beneath.

I started an initial 'new' car search and things look pretty bleek with my current financial situation. Even if I get $4-$5K for my car, I still owe $3.3K, which is little help for a down payment, but if I keep her, not only will I have a salvaged title, but my windshield was cracked before the accident, all four struts are blown AND I NEED new tires, all of which I don't exactly have the money for either.

But, I may have a couple parts for sale in the near future...

...FML
Attached Thumbnails This may be farewell...-20130908_021409.jpg   This may be farewell...-20130908_021412.jpg   This may be farewell...-20130908_021431.jpg   This may be farewell...-20130908_021444.jpg   This may be farewell...-20130908_021514.jpg  

Last edited by kapitolralliart; Sep 15, 2013 at 06:49 PM.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

At least ypur okay that's the most important thing. Hopefully everythibg works out!
Old Sep 16, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad you didnt get hurt! Sad to see the RA go, keep us updated on that status. Hope things work out for the best.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:15 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks guys. I appreciate the concern.

I would hate to have to be without the RA, even though I'd still come visit the EvoM. You guys are like the brothers I never knew.

So the insurance adjuster is coming to do a second inspection of my car tomorrow now that's its torn down...so we wait... So far, I know there is some frame damage, not sure how bad, my passenger side quarter panel buckled, of course my bumper and muffler and possibly the trunk.

In other news, if it is totaled, I found a 99 Galant ES V6 with only 44K miles on it. Might have to scoop it up. I wish I had $$ to go get an Evo yea...right.

Anybody know anything about how easy it is to maintain Saab's or Audi's?Considering they are euro, i know they get pricey. I was also considering an 02 Saab 9-3 SE or a 02-06 A3 or A4, IF my RA is a total loss..

Have a soft spot of Mazdaspeed Protege's also...

Last edited by kapitolralliart; Sep 17, 2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Dang man... that really sucks...

At least you are ok. What you should do, and what I tried convincing a friend of mine to do. Is buy an old Mirage, and save up money to swap in a 4g63t and make an old Evo 1-6 (based on the year you find obviously) out of it! If you could find a 2001 coupe that'd be really cool to build. The 2 Door Evo!
Old Sep 17, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

That'd be dope bakuro. I wish I knew how to build my own motors and do my own swaps, then it'd be even better.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

LOL Ive always been of the mindset that the best way to learn is to try. lol the mounting points look very similar actually so i dont think it would be too difficult to swap.
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
there's no magic...it's basically the same as any motor...a lawnmower engine works on the same principles, they just vary in design, such as cam location, and valve train design, etc.

I've rebuilt so many small engines, I can't even remember them all, anything from chainsaws and weed whackers, to 250 and 450 dirt bikes, 2 and 4 stroke...I've only done 1 V8, and I've yet to rebuild a 4 banger, but it's basically all the same principles, except in an automotive engine, tolerances are much more important, and an automotive machinist is your best friend, once they've done all the machining, putting the engine back together is a piece of cake...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

I just hear talk of getting clearances right and checking compression and ecu wiring and mating transmissions and it all throws me for a loop...
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

when you build a motor, your piston to wall gap and deck clearance is your machinist's problem...

you just gotta do it man...plus we have the service manual at our disposal
Old Sep 19, 2013, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

So the insurance deemed my car a total loss. I get $2.3K back cause I still owed $3.4K on it. I don't know what to do as far as getting another car now...

I don't want to spend more than $10K and really don't want to spend that much. Really looking to spend about $6K. Would love to get rid of a car payment.

I want 4 or 6 cylinders, sedan or hatch/wagon, possibly coupe (must seat 4) and around 150hp and a car that doesn't cost $$$$$ to maintain. Would love RWD or AWD, but it's not too important.

I would love another R//A, but I want more mod options and the newer one is way out of my price range. Any suggestions?

List of considerations:
99 Mitsu Galant ES V6 (44K miles)
03 Mazdaspeed Protege
03 Mazda Protege5
Nissan B13 (w/ eventual sr20 swap)
91 Mercury Capri (62K miles)
03-05 Subaru WRX/2.5Rs or Outback Sport

I admit I haven't really done my homework on it yet, but I don't see much about modding the 6G72 platform anywhere. Anybody have any experience with it?

Last edited by kapitolralliart; Sep 19, 2013 at 08:17 AM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Question Any suggestions?

This sucks!!! I want a manual, but I sit in traffic 2-3 days out of the week, so I want to avoid a manual. Nothing within my budget and with a relatively similar body style to the RA has anywhere near as much horsepower or torque and I can't find any other RA's in my area.

All the 'good' cars are manual or over $15K, but I keep hearing from current or previous manual owners that they suck in traffic and a good bit of my commute is in traffic, plus the fact that the longest I've ever driven a manual was for three days.

Idk what to do...have my eyes on a 4G Eclipse, 2006 GS with S&S and 60K miles, after getting shafted by a salesman on an 03 Subaru 2.5RS with only 50K miles for $9800. I'm assuming he sold it to family or a friend while "waiting" to give me a call once it was inspected and detailed .

PLUS, I am paying $30/day for my rental so I need a car ASAP.
Any other car suggestions? Looking in the $10K and under range and 2-7 years old.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

A 4G eclipse wouldnt be bad. And it would be familiar because the 4 cyl uses the same engine. The V6 makes quite a bit of HP though. Have you looked around for any good condition 1G or 2G eclipses? They made a few AWD Turbo Automatics too!

I would just keep my eye on craigslist for a while and see if anything good pops up.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by kapitolralliart
This sucks!!! I want a manual, but I sit in traffic 2-3 days out of the week, so I want to avoid a manual. Nothing within my budget and with a relatively similar body style to the RA has anywhere near as much horsepower or torque and I can't find any other RA's in my area.

All the 'good' cars are manual or over $15K, but I keep hearing from current or previous manual owners that they suck in traffic and a good bit of my commute is in traffic, plus the fact that the longest I've ever driven a manual was for three days.

Idk what to do...have my eyes on a 4G Eclipse, 2006 GS with S&S and 60K miles, after getting shafted by a salesman on an 03 Subaru 2.5RS with only 50K miles for $9800. I'm assuming he sold it to family or a friend while "waiting" to give me a call once it was inspected and detailed .

PLUS, I am paying $30/day for my rental so I need a car ASAP.
Any other car suggestions? Looking in the $10K and under range and 2-7 years old.
How about a Sentra Spec V?
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

sentra SER spec V is a great car...very similar in power and handling to the RA...

may I suggest a 2g GSX...

this is sold now, but look how clean....

http://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/4027973355.html

Quick Reply: This may be farewell...