Notices

04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread

Hey everyone!

The 04-06 Ralliart section has been kind of slow lately so I figured we could start a general discussion thread to just shoot the crap and talk about anything really. Doesnt have to be RA related, or even about cars, it can be about anything you feel like posting about. Im sure you all know how General Discussion threads or Random Thought threads work. Just remember to keep it civil or this will probably get closed... all rules of EvoM apply so no talking about illegal racing, or posting videos of illegal racing activities, and all that... You know the rules. If you dont go read them in the link provided. Lanzer approved this thread for me a while back I just now got around to writing and posting it though.

I feel like this should have a longer intro or a goal or something... but I cant think of anymore to say or what a goal could be. We can talk about it in the thread! :P

So lets get this started.

Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:05 AM
Evolved Member

So I spend the last two nights working on my GF's manual, turbo, VW Beetle. (gf has a manual and I don't... :/ lol) She needed her brakes changed and VW makes the most awkward brake system I have ever worked on. The fronts aren't so difficult other than the electronic sensor built into the driver side pad, but the backs are weird. The E-brake is connected to the caliper so instead of having a dedicated brake it just squeezed the rear calipers independent of the fronts... Then the caliper isn't held on with normal bolts but the kind that you have to use an allen key to get off... Then we couldn't get the piston to compress and found out that it has to be screwed down instead of squeezed down. I ran to Auto Zone and bought a little cube shaped tool with 5 different designs to grab the piston and turn it. Well none of them worked... So we called it a night. Yesterday morning I get up early and run to the next town over because Advance Auto claims they have what I need. Well its the same cube Auto Zone sold me... They show me a kit they have for $130 rental fee but none of the tools in it look to match the design on the piston which looked like this > < so we leave, call the VW dealership in Lexington, they don't have the tool and cannot get a tool. Frustrated we resort to Google where we find a video of a guy changing the brakes on the back of his Jetta which uses the same system. Luckily the kit he uses in the video is the same kit Advance showed me. I say screw it we will give it a shot. I get the kit and after work yesterday I run to her house and viola it works! I wrestle the spring loaded rear brake pads into place and she is ready to roll again... Worst brake job I've ever done... hahahaha
Old Oct 22, 2013, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
lol that sucks man. I probably have to do a brake job on my friend's Scion tC soon. hopefully it wont be a PITA being a 2009. (prays that nothing is seized)
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yea... it was pretty crappy... Surprisingly her car doesnt have much rust and so far *knocks on wood* I havent ran into anything seized up even though its a 2000 model.

Speaking of TCs im pretty sure I saw a red one this morning with an intercooler stuffed into the grill...
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On a side note. Evo m asked me if I wanted to download this app yesterday. Works really well, even sends me push notifications of new posts and stuff. I believe there is an Android version also.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ib-a...620886919?mt=8
Old Oct 23, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Downloaded it on my Android and it works great also
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

I downloaded the app. But I havent used it much... I think im more comfortable with the mobile version of the website... IDK maybe I just need some time with it.

I am also debating on buying a replacement all season tire for my winter wheels or going ahead and getting a set of Bridgestone Blizzaks for ~$500.... Im weighting the costs... Not sure what I am going to do... :/
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:38 AM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice bakuro. I'm waiting on my transmission paid on the 10th and it still hasn't been shipped I'm getting anxious and a bit heated, I don't know why they need up to 14 business days to ship a transmission :/ but I figure ill have 2 this way and with some time I can build the current broken one into something beefier with the mirage final drive and an LSD. I like having at least 2 of everything lol. Cars , kids, women,
Old Oct 24, 2013, 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

LMAO That 2 of everything is a good motto to live by! :P

I got pretty aggravated when I was ordering stuff for my turbo eclipse project. I ordered the turbo off a guy and a month later USPS hadnt had a single update on it since it left the sort facility. I went back and for the with USPS they gave me the run around. I talked to the seller who finally sent my money back. I never did understand why he didnt sent that package priority... but whatever. I ended up getting an evo 8 16g with a 10.5 hotside, and a tubular manifold instead of a OEM one. So it all worked out.
Old Nov 3, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone seen bad grandpa yet? I watched it last night. Frigging hilarious!
Old Nov 3, 2013, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Anyone seen bad grandpa yet? I watched it last night. Frigging hilarious!
Yea I went last night! It was good lol
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Lol that movie was great!

I got my winter wheels put on yesterday. I'm debating on taking off my Evo wing for the winter months... Idk.

Oh and I FINALLY got the pictures from the shootout from my GF. Ill try to post them tonight or tomorrow. Crans, she got a couple good pics of your car at the Autocross.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Bad Grandpa was alright to me. I feel like they spoiled the movie by putting pretty much all the good parts in the commercials for it.

Im debating on whether or not I want to put my winter wheels on yet. The car just looks soo good with with my summer set lol! I'm not sure if I want to take the RallyArmor flaps off for the winter too.
Old Nov 4, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

LOL yea I really appreciate the stance on my Motegi's after switching back to the OEM Enkei's. I plastidipped them black though so they dont look TOO bad lmao.

Any reason why youd take off the mudflaps?
Old Nov 4, 2013, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by bakuro117
Lol that movie was great!

I got my winter wheels put on yesterday. I'm debating on taking off my Evo wing for the winter months... Idk.

Oh and I FINALLY got the pictures from the shootout from my GF. Ill try to post them tonight or tomorrow. Crans, she got a couple good pics of your car at the Autocross.
sweet...I found a video on youtube of my 15 second B2 pass at the shootout..lol...Mike will remember the issues I had with the launch control...you may have noticed if you saw the pass, but I changed the launch control speed, and it went all screwy...

it was funny, cause basically I had the pedal to the floor the whole time, green light went and I dumped the clutch...it looks like a bog, but it wasn't...it actually just jumped slightly, did nothing for a second or so...and then went...mike was in the car for one of them...the day before. I ran a 13.8 in the qualifier, but I changed the launch control parameters again...next time, i'll save the tinkering for the test and tune.

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 4, 2013 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 04-06 Ralliartist General Discussion Thread