Notices

Need an OEM Muffler

Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Need an OEM Muffler

Long story short I have a new neighbor who is a police officer, and apparently it is illegal here to have an aftermarket muffler. So he gave me two weeks to replace it or receive a rather large fine.

Anybody have their original laying around?
Old Nov 12, 2014, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
What does "aftermarket" mean according to the letter of the law? I cannot believe it means you need a genuine Mitsubishi OEM muffler, or someones mom has to buy a genuine Volvo OEM muffler for their '94 240. People b-s when it suits them , like when he's your neighbour and wants people to have zero fun around him, so find out what it really means.

Last edited by RalliartN; Nov 12, 2014 at 11:54 AM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
What does "aftermarket" mean according to the letter of the law? I cannot believe it means you need a genuine Mitsubishi OEM muffler, or someones mom has to buy a genuine Volvo OEM muffler for their '94 240. People b-s when it suits them , like when he's your neighbour and wants people to have zero fun around him, so find out what it really means.

going to have to agree here...what a turd...

found this:

RCW 46.37.390
Mufflers required — Smoke and air contaminant standards — Definitions — Penalty, exception.

(1) Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a muffler in good working order and in constant operation to prevent excessive or unusual noise, and no person shall use a muffler cut-out, bypass, or similar device upon a motor vehicle on a highway.

(2)(a) No motor vehicle first sold and registered as a new motor vehicle on or after January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 1 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (a)(i) above.

(b) No motor vehicle first sold and registered prior to January 1, 1971, shall discharge into the atmosphere at elevations of less than three thousand feet any air contaminant for a period of more than ten seconds which is:

(i) As dark as or darker than the shade designated as No. 2 on the Ringelmann chart, as published by the United States bureau of mines; or

(ii) Of such opacity as to obscure an observer's view to a degree equal to or greater than does smoke described in subsection (b)(i) above.

(c) For the purposes of this subsection the following definitions shall apply:

(i) "Opacity" means the degree to which an emission reduces the transmission of light and obscures the view of an object in the background;

(ii) "Ringelmann chart" means the Ringelmann smoke chart with instructions for use as published by the United States bureau of mines in May 1967 and as thereafter amended, information circular 7718.

(3) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the engine of such vehicle above that emitted by the muffler originally installed on the vehicle, and it shall be unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle not equipped as required by this subsection, or which has been amplified as prohibited by this subsection. A court may dismiss an infraction notice for a violation of this subsection if there is reasonable grounds to believe that the vehicle was not operated in violation of this subsection.

This subsection (3) does not apply to vehicles twenty-five or more years old or to passenger vehicles being operated off the highways in an organized racing or competitive event conducted by a recognized sanctioning body.

no where does it specify that the muffler has to be OEM...it just can't be loud as ****...
Attached Images  

Last edited by CrAnSwIcK; Nov 12, 2014 at 12:46 PM.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

I will read what the ticket actually says, it isn't like it is really loud. It has a cat and the magnaflow muffler on there. He also said the white LED Rings in my headlights are illegal, which I have never heard before. Most cars 2007 and new come with them stock. When I lived in Alaska they had a decibel limit you couldn't exceed at 10' behind the car. He made it sound like it is completely to modify the exhaust at all here.
Old Nov 12, 2014, 04:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I have a stock one with a magnaflow tip. Its on my car right now though. Lol
Old Nov 12, 2014, 06:30 PM
Evolved Member

regardless, you should be able to get an OE replacement muffler that isn't genuine Mitsubishi, and save yourself some loot, if your current setup is indeed unlawful...
Old Nov 12, 2014, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

I think you are right, I guess technically it is. Even though it really is not very loud. Bummer, I like the way it sounds
Old Nov 13, 2014, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

it's a bull**** law...I mean, it's pretty vague, as it doesn't specify noise levels, so who to say your stock exhaust didn't sound exactly the same and it rotted out cause the car is 10 years old, and you simply had it replaced...I can't see that law flying in court, unless somewhere it specifies a dB rating at whatever distance, otherwise it makes no sense, cause how can they prove it's louder than your stock muffler...
Old Nov 13, 2014, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Maybe I will just slap another Resonator on there and a small tip, call it good.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Well what does the state define as excessive or unusual noise? Does the cop have ears that can detect the actual dB reading saying that it in fact is louder than stock?
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lbwilliams44
Long story short I have a new neighbor who is a police officer, and apparently it is illegal here to have an aftermarket muffler. So he gave me two weeks to replace it or receive a rather large fine.

Anybody have their original laying around?
Yes, I have one that's yours for free if you want it.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 06:39 AM

I have a $150 fine, here in Puerto Rico law says... "It shall be unlawful to use exhaust valves or any other device or attachment in the sound damper system for the purpose of producing noise." Translated from Google, source in spanish says "Será ilegal usar en el sistema amortiguador de sonido válvulas de escape o cualquier otro dispositivo o aditamento con el propósito de producir ruido."

So now I'm looking for an OEM or Genuine one for my Ralliart 2006
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:31 PM

I also have stock piping if you want it.