Notices

Maintenance time

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2015, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maintenance time

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, I purchased my Ralliart in May last year and the sheer amount of information on here has been invaluable as a new Ralliart owner, so thanks for that.

My Ralliart has hit 102,000 kms (63k miles) and it's obviously time to do the timing belt but I thought that I would ask if there's anything else I should have done at this time? I've read about replacing the water pump at the same time but I'm unsure if that should be done now or at the next timing belt interval. Am I correct that the timing belt tensioner and pulley should be replaced as well? Along with the balance belt and tensioner?

...I'm not incredibly mechanically inclined so I'll be having my regular shop do the work but I thought I'd ask and make sure that everything that should be done now actually gets done while the car is in.

If you've got any recommendations for maintenance to be performed now (or issues that you've come across as I'm sure there are a few of you with higher mileage) please let me know...I've done some searching here but hopefully I haven't missed this exact thread.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
change the transmission oil if it hasn't been done recently....

for the timing belt service, you want the valve timing belt, auto tensioner, tension pulley, idler pulley, rear balance shaft belt, and balance shaft tension pulley. You should do the water pump...at 160,000km my water pump started to seize...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
You can get an entire kit on RockAuto.com from Gates with everything for a timing belt and waterpump job all in one. I'll be ordering one myself here shortly.
Old Jan 28, 2015, 08:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
the gates kit should work well on a budget, however in light of recent events, I would advise to replace the belt again sooner than with OEM...

also this:
Old Jan 30, 2015, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hm, the gates kit would work if I were going to be attempting this myself, but I like my car too much to let someone so unqualified try and do something so crucial. However reading that the gates belt snapped on someone else makes me want to go OEM all the way.

Thanks for the input, it's appreciated.