Notices

Fyi oem $cdn

Old Mar 1, 2015, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Fyi oem $cdn

Interesting info for Canadians. I'm ordering parts ahead of time for the LSD and aluminum flywheel install. Most of the bits are OEM Mitsubishi for seals etc. Normally I'd buy direct from the USA to save money. However, the exchange rate means I'm paying an extra 20% on top of the duty, tax, and shipping.

Example: tranny input shaft oil seal MD741818 is $8.37USD from Mitsibishiparts.net, $13.70CDN from RTM (Ziggy) in Hamilton ON, and $15.20CDN from local Mitsu dealer.

Working out all the costs, it's equal no matter where I buy!

Local dealer can get parts in 2 days, so I'll order some from them to keep up the goodwill relationship and I can easily exchange/return bits if I need to. I'll order some from RTM as they have other stuff I want too. Won't get from the USA this time due to long lead times and pain-in-the-butt return issues.

Another note. CV axle seal MD755526 is $12.94USD from Mitsubishiparts.net, $24CDN from Mitsu dealer, and $7.40CDN for an "NOK" brand from an on-line Canadian auto parts supplier I sometimes buy from. If it wasn't my car I'd get the non-OEM part for sure, but since Crans and others who have done a lot of rebuilds recommend OEM, well, I'll stump up the extra dough.

Seriously, Canada has only a few federal banks and they are very strong and our economy is fine and our debt is nowhere near as crippling. How the hell is our dollar worth 80 cents US? If it ever gets back up to par I'll stock up on parts from the USA.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 03:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Interesting info for Canadians. I'm ordering parts ahead of time for the LSD and aluminum flywheel install. Most of the bits are OEM Mitsubishi for seals etc. Normally I'd buy direct from the USA to save money. However, the exchange rate means I'm paying an extra 20% on top of the duty, tax, and shipping.

Example: tranny input shaft oil seal MD741818 is $8.37USD from Mitsibishiparts.net, $13.70CDN from RTM (Ziggy) in Hamilton ON, and $15.20CDN from local Mitsu dealer.

Working out all the costs, it's equal no matter where I buy!

Local dealer can get parts in 2 days, so I'll order some from them to keep up the goodwill relationship and I can easily exchange/return bits if I need to. I'll order some from RTM as they have other stuff I want too. Won't get from the USA this time due to long lead times and pain-in-the-butt return issues.

Another note. CV axle seal MD755526 is $12.94USD from Mitsubishiparts.net, $24CDN from Mitsu dealer, and $7.40CDN for an "NOK" brand from an on-line Canadian auto parts supplier I sometimes buy from. If it wasn't my car I'd get the non-OEM part for sure, but since Crans and others who have done a lot of rebuilds recommend OEM, well, I'll stump up the extra dough.

Seriously, Canada has only a few federal banks and they are very strong and our economy is fine and our debt is nowhere near as crippling. How the hell is our dollar worth 80 cents US? If it ever gets back up to par I'll stock up on parts from the USA.

I just bought $1000 in parts, there in January...I did the same thing when comparing prices...I ended up ordering through RTM, cause Ziggy has been VERY good to me...I ordered an ACT clutch kit with street disc, decided after receiving the clutch that I wanted a 6-puck instead...he sent me the 6-puck disc with a pre-paid return shipping label, before I even paid the difference OR returned the other disc...he told me to just use the box the other disc came "when I had time"...don't get service like that anywhere...so even if I pay a little more this time, it eventually comes around...

I have not been ordering for the US at all since our dollar dropped...
Old Mar 1, 2015, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Thank you for the corroboration, Crans. And it's true, Ziggy is gold.

See you soon.

FYI, I gotta spot-face the aluminum flywheel bolt holes 'cause the longer bolts have a slightly larger hex head outer diameter, so the original shallow counterbore is not big enough. First chance to use the "new" manufacturing shop in anger. If you need anything let me know, we could spend a day in there sometime.

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 1, 2015 at 04:04 PM.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by RalliartN
Thank you for the corroboration, Crans. And it's true, Ziggy is gold.

See you soon.

FYI, I gotta spot-face the aluminum flywheel bolt holes 'cause the longer bolts have a slightly larger hex head outer diameter, so the original shallow counterbore is not big enough. First chance to use the "new" manufacturing shop in anger. If you need anything let me know, we could spend a day in there sometime.

let's build you a turbo kit! also, is there a shop press at the "new shop"? I could borrow Giz's, but I want to do a video how-to on replacing synchronizers/disassembling transmission shafts...

I still owe you for that clutch, don't let me forget...also Karla saved you a giant jar of her delicious bread and butter pickles if you want them...
Old Mar 2, 2015, 06:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hi guys,

@RalliartN when are you planning to install the LSD ?
Do not discount RockAuto.com as you can pay in CDN on their site.

Use 2084895518687425 to get 5% off at rockauto.com till May 3rd, 2015.

Anyone near Ottawa that likes playing with cars and has some free time this spring ?
I can use the extra pair of hands and brute force.

Last edited by 2006_RA; Mar 3, 2015 at 06:31 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
let's build you a turbo kit! also, is there a shop press at the "new shop"? I could borrow Giz's, but I want to do a video how-to on replacing synchronizers/disassembling transmission shafts...

I still owe you for that clutch, don't let me forget...also Karla saved you a giant jar of her delicious bread and butter pickles if you want them...
I just checked the new shop, they have the press set up to bend pipe, really can't use it for our purposes as it is, and it won't be re-converted any time soon. Darn. And I don't have the keys to the "old" auto shop any more. Unsure where I'll get my own diff bearings pressed on, but gotta do it soon. Maybe I will just bite the friggin' bullet and buy a press right now that we can use.

Can anyone suggest how many tons is adequate to press on bearings: 10, 12 ,20... ?

I have your flywheel as collateral

Yes, please do not eat those pickles, I want them... and there is homemade wine waiting for her.

will pm you soon

Last edited by RalliartN; Mar 5, 2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 2006_RA
Hi guys,

@RalliartN when are you planning to install the LSD ?
Do not discount RockAuto.com as you can pay in CDN on their site.

Use 2084895518687425 to get 5% off at rockauto.com till May 3rd, 2015.

Anyone near Ottawa that likes playing with cars and has some free time this spring ?
I can use the extra pair of hands and brute force.
I will install the LSD not next week but just after that sometime (March break), it partly depends on if/when Crans is available to walk me through it. I can let you know exactly when, in case you're driving by anyway

Thank you for the rockauto tip!

Might be up for an Ottawa day trip in the spring; I've got spare hands, don't know how much brute force though, work is beating the living daylights out of me.