Notices

Steering Problems

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Problems

As you have seen from the title, I'm having problems, but first noticed it at autocross. When doing extreme steering changes (noticed in slaloms) the steering will bind at neutral lock. I took it to the dealer but they didn't know what was wrong with it. Somebody PLEASE HELP!!
Old Apr 22, 2015, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

It could be a worn power steering rack, faulty or dry ball joint, or worn strut mount bearings. Have you managed to check any of these?
Old Apr 24, 2015, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by johnnycage
It could be a worn power steering rack, faulty or dry ball joint, or worn strut mount bearings. Have you managed to check any of these?
No, but it gets worse at higher revs
Old Apr 25, 2015, 06:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
is it binding, or getting stiff? if it's getting stiff, check your power steering fluid level, you could even try flushing the power steering fluid...it could even be the pump seizing, and possibly the belt is slipping at higher revs, cause you to temporarily lose power steering...if it's binding, you may have some mechanical problems in the rack itself...
Old May 7, 2015, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
is it binding, or getting stiff? if it's getting stiff, check your power steering fluid level, you could even try flushing the power steering fluid...it could even be the pump seizing, and possibly the belt is slipping at higher revs, cause you to temporarily lose power steering...if it's binding, you may have some mechanical problems in the rack itself...
I flushed the fluid twice: No change. Serpentine belt is totally fine. Popped it off and it doesn't have evidence of slipping.
I hold it at 15 mph in 2nd gear and do a quick 90 degree left of wheel input, as soon as I have it turned I then turn it 90 degrees the other way. I then down shift to first, maintain speed and repeat the above, and it's gotten much worse.
It probably is the rack binding, but I'm not sure.
Old May 11, 2015, 12:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get a set of "ears" (automotive stethescope) and listen to the pinion box while someone turns the steering wheel from right to left for you. A long steel bar (breaker bar works wonderful) can be used by putting one end on the suspected source and the other in your open fist, which you put against your ear.
Old May 11, 2015, 05:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Originally Posted by ButtonBoy99
I flushed the fluid twice: No change. Serpentine belt is totally fine. Popped it off and it doesn't have evidence of slipping.
I hold it at 15 mph in 2nd gear and do a quick 90 degree left of wheel input, as soon as I have it turned I then turn it 90 degrees the other way. I then down shift to first, maintain speed and repeat the above, and it's gotten much worse.
It probably is the rack binding, but I'm not sure.

pump is dying, or the rack is buggered, probably...
Old May 17, 2015, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hope you got this sorted. I have been thinking of autocrossing my car, but haven't been able to get away from work and family duties.

If you would, please post what was wrong.