Notices

did anyone else read speed magazine??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
did anyone else read speed magazine??

i just bought the new road & track magazine called speed...they had a comparison of 7 cars that also included the RA. i was shocked to c the RA come in at the last place! ...after i read the article their only problem were the small tire/wheel size but i dont think that reason put the RA in the last spot. the civic si which came in 6th had bigger problems (no torque, and no horspower, and realy bad brakes!) how could the civic si come in 6th if it had bigger issues than the RA?>....the RA was only better than the civic in 0-60 times...which i also found puzling as they recorded a time of 7.7 sec.....they had dynoed the cars and the RA was only bested by the srt4 (duh) and the nismo spec V...another concern i had was the choice of vehicules in the test. i don't think the SRT-4 should be here because it simply does not belong because of it high hp rating it should be in the WRX range...however i do understand that they included it because its in the same price range....which brings me to another poit is the celica...in canada the GTS sells for almost $35000...the TRD is a $4000 option how can u consider this car in the same price range? which anyway read the mag and tell me what u think?
btw these r the order they came in at :
toyota celica GTS TRD
nissan sentra spec-v NISMO
ford focus SVT
dodge SRT-4
mazdaspeed protege
honda civic SI HFP
mitsubish lancer RALLIART
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:27 AM
Account Disabled

some companies have agreements on the side...maybe they favored toyota....who cares...maybe the person that wrote it...had an evo and didnt want to honor his warrantee?....who cares...you like your car right?...i do...its not an RA but i love the fact that i can drive down the street and not see my car pass by 20 times ...all primered up and have euros on it....dude....its just a magazine....
Old Apr 1, 2004, 12:58 AM
Evolved Member

Re: did anyone else read speed magazine??

Originally posted by moncef
toyota celica GTS TRD
nissan sentra spec-v NISMO
ford focus SVT
dodge SRT-4
mazdaspeed protege
honda civic SI HFP
mitsubish lancer RALLIART
If you look at this list you will notice that all of those cars are more $$$ and higher HP ratings that the RA too...except for the SIR Civic. And as said previously, its just a mag dude.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 05:35 AM
Evolved Member

Its not even a overly reputable mag at that. Its not exactly Car and Driver or Road and track ya know...
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

We have great cars, it's already been proven. Just read a Ralliart review from a real car mag (such as Car and Driver) and you'll see what I mean.

Also, that lineup looks really unfair. I mean, what car in that price range could even hope to keep up with an SRT-4? I think they should re-do that test, maybe throw in an RA with RRM or Ultimate Stage 1 kit...then we'll see who comes in last (cough cough Honda)...

Which Nismo SE-R was it? S or R tune? Because if it was the R-tuned...that was not a fair competition at all. R-tune has a ton of aftermarket parts that just as easily could have been done to the RA.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 09:41 AM

speed magazine is actualy from ROAD & TRACK so its prety reputable mag.....anyway the spec-v was an s-tune...i know its just a mag....but i love my car coz its so rare here in toronto and it performs realy well..but i hate it when mags put down cars with no real justification..i wouldn't have mined if the RA came in last but with a solid reason....their reasons were : soft suspension (although when u read the article they say the suspension is prety good), small tires/wheels....and it lives behind the evo shadow???....thats their complaints....the civic had bigger probs than that....i just didn't think this test was fair
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

Too bad I'll beat all those cars in the 1/4 mile other then the SRT-4 I'll beat that Mazda as well or be damn close to it. Their lil hair dryer turbo's are oh so cute
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

and who cares, half the crappy reason our car is in last is things most people would mod to change anyways. I mean c'mon, you guys plan to mod your suspension right? You guys plan to mod your tires and rims anyways right? I do, therefore my car won't be as low as they say it is. That article is for people who plan to not mod their cars. Like my mom for instance, she's looking to find a "bang for her buck" without having to mod the car. I'm however looking to mod the hell out of my Lancer and I could care less about the crappy sound package, because I know I'm going to throw in something that will make that sound package sound like an AM-FM radio, and I know that their soft suspension doesn't matter, because I'll have TEIN SS Coilovers soon to come. Think logically people...

Last edited by I REP 838; Apr 1, 2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Actually I bought the Ralliart because it was one of those "complete package" cars. It had just about everything done to it that I wanted, minus intake and little stuff like that. I like the stereo though! Granted mine is the Infinity, but still...I prefer it over my previous Alpine/JL setup...but hey, to each his own. As long as we agree that the RA is great, that's all I care about.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

Umm... I have the infinite too. The speakers atleast. You do know that although I did NOT get the sound package I still get all the infinite speakers, and the deck right? The only diff between the sound package is the sound comes with that Subwoofer. I already had 2 12's at home ready to be installed with my Pioneer 7500 deck so I wasn't worried about the sound package. And call me crazy, but I've never cared for moon roofs.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

toyota celica GTS TRD - nice but its a sports car
nissan sentra spec-v NISMO - ugly as hell
ford focus SVT - its a FORD, im sure it will break down in a year
dodge SRT-4 - its a NEON!
mazdaspeed protege
honda civic SI HFP looks nice but civic
mitsubish lancer RALLIART - the best

I think they had the list backwards except for the celica
Old Apr 1, 2004, 04:07 PM
Evolved Member

so ralliart is the best because you have the OZ? hehe nah... actually besides not agreeing RnT for putting a celica GTS TRD in but not putting the sentra spec-v Nismo version is kinda unfair... it should be the standard celica GTS,....which may have made the spec-V 1st place.... i agree with the RnT's decisions because this is not a RnT long term test, just what is standing before them.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

you guys are still comparing cars that are more $$$ and have little things done to them. The SRT-4 and Protege are turbo cars (and for the record, there is nothing wrong with the turbo in that car stock, it is a T25 ball bearing turbo with is actually a pretty good turbo for daily driving) All the other cars are "specialty" line cars. If they were to do a real test, do the regular GT-S Celica, the regular Spec-V, the regular civic SiR and the regular Protege (even the "speed" model is limited production for 2003). The Focus doesnt offer anything worth a s**t other than the SVT, and we all know the Neon SRT-4 is fast in a straight line, but we all also know how it handles and were are all knowing all the problems they are having with that car mechanically cuz once again...ITS STILL A NEON! So this thread has been done to death and back for me.
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i love my car, aint no stupid mag going to judge my car...or the way i feel about my car...
Old Apr 2, 2004, 03:22 PM

look dont be so upset about them raging on our car, if you guys have ever watched a sports show then you will understand what im about to say. all critics are stupid. this is because we all have our fav. team. mine being kc chiefs, but they never report good on my team and never give them credit even this last year. well anyways dont go by just what people will say. keep in mind they all have there fav teams too, and have there own car that they bougght, so everyone has bias toward certain cars. just one question though. is everyone in here happy with there car?? I AM and thats all that matters

Quick Reply: did anyone else read speed magazine??