Notices

Fuel Tank Removal / Fuel Issues

Old Feb 17, 2017, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fuel Tank Removal / Fuel Issues

How involved is it to drop the fuel tank? Would I be able to drop the fuel tank in my driveway/garage?

I'm no mechanic but I've done the timing belt, water pump, replaced radiator/fans, swapped intake manifold, removed cylinder head and replaced valves/springs/retainers and put it all back together myself. I'm hoping the fuel tank isn't more involved than that.

I can't find any information on that process. Any tips/tricks/gotchas? Would it be similar to removing the fuel tank on a base lancer or an EVO? Maybe I can search over there? I don't want to go in blind.

Issue: On a cold startup, car idles/runs great. On a warm startup, the car has trouble idling and shuts off. If I give it gas and try to drive, it feels like it's bogging and I have to rev it a few times to get it going. It takes me like 2 minutes of driving to get it back to normal idle/not bogging.

SOLVED ISSUE: I wanted to update this in case anyone ever came across this issue I had. I bought a new EGR valve and that fixed my issue.

Last edited by Tw3NTy0n3; May 8, 2017 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Issue resolved
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You're no mechanic but you have been able to do all those other things?
Sounds to me like you won't struggle.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...k-removal.html

Have a read of that will give you an idea.
It's a big job.
Old Feb 17, 2017, 08:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for that info!

I wouldn't say I need to remove it completely, just enough to replace that fuel pressure differential sensor.

It looks pretty involved from that link you pasted but I just realized that's in the EVO forums. I wonder if it's the same for the Ralliart.

I went to get a quote and they told me $84 to drop the tank. I had them double check and he said "apparently it's easy to drop the tank on this model." I'm going to try to get that in writing next time.

I'll probably end up paying for someone to diagnose this weird fuel issue I'm having. $84 labor + $180 for the part. I don't think I want to spend $265 without being extra sure that it's going to fix the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Evo VI. (Feb 18, 2017)