Notices

How to change a timing belt

Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to change a timing belt

ok ill start off saying if read through a bunch of threads maybe i missed one that explains the steps to replacing a timing belt. So im coming up on 85 000 and want to change my timing belt next winter storage, if anyone has helpful step by step and photos anything helpful that would be great thanks guys.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 02:13 PM
EvoM Super Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't venture into it given your lack of experience.. Not oly that it should of been done 15,000 miles ago , you driving on borrowed time. I'd do it asap before your next fill up even, find a local shop that you feel confident can do the job and get done.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

^ 85'000 kilometers, not miles.

But I agree.. unless you can really follow instructions well and are comfortable with mechanics, I wouldnt venture into this area without at least some help from a mechanic friend or something.

I'm gonna have a look in the service manual tho.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
i've done a chrysler cirrus water pump job that involves removing timing belt...it was a pain in the ****, and you really have to know what you're doing or you will hoop your valves, and maybe some other stuff, cause the cam has valve spring pressure on it, and it'll jump when the belt comes off if it's not in the right spot, you gotta have the crank in the correct position before you remove the belt...just beware, i'm getting mine done professionally...it's not as simple as a drive belt...
Old Apr 4, 2011, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

yeah sorry 85 000km your in Canada u actually thought miles lol. i feel pretty comfortable with my abilities the thing im worried about is putting the belt back on a tooth off or something, also i dont know how to TDC my 4g69 or find any of the marks on the cam gear, and all the other pulleys and things.
Also a good friend of mine is a mechanic but hes only ever done one timing belt on a jetta or something so far and doesn't feel like venturing into my ralliart
Old Apr 4, 2011, 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

Have a look at this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Timing Belt - Removal1.pdf (93.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: pdf
Timing Belt - Removal2.pdf (79.9 KB, 0 views)
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by RallyartRob
yeah sorry 85 000km your in Canada u actually thought miles lol. i feel pretty comfortable with my abilities the thing im worried about is putting the belt back on a tooth off or something, also i dont know how to TDC my 4g69 or find any of the marks on the cam gear, and all the other pulleys and things.
Also a good friend of mine is a mechanic but hes only ever done one timing belt on a jetta or something so far and doesn't feel like venturing into my ralliart
Hey man if you really need your timing belt replaced ive got a place for you! Its all the way in mississauga but with the work they do.. Is top notch.. Check them out by dixie and dundas.. If u need hook ups.. Just pm me